MSC Musica - 6 July

travelbug1948

We were a party of 8 on Musica cruise on 6th July. What a wonderful ship and after reading many negative reviews was a little worried. I really don't know what people expect from a cruise but we were treated like royalty - food was excellent, staff were so helpful and friiendly and nothing was too much trouble - we had one of two minor niggles but then this can happen on any holiday. One word of warning don't come on this cruise if you find it difficult mixing with all nationalities (which we thorougly enjoyed) and if you want a really peaceful cruise choose something else but in saying that there are so many options in the choice of bars, restaurants etc. The upper deck and pool areas were always the most noisy but then people are on holiday and apart from good natured fun did not bother us at all. We are a mix of couples from 35 to 60 and it certainly will be the only way I travel in future. Please don't hesitate if I can be of help to anyone with regard to MSC Musica. :)

Regards Chris

Thanks for such a positive statement about the Musica. I will be on the 28th September 2008 sailing with my husband and parents (who are in their 70's). I have been watching all comments and now time is drawing near I felt ready to take the plunge and write a quick reply. This will be my 2nd cruise ever. The 1st one being out of Sydney Australia in April 2008 where most passengers were Aussies and definatly English speaking. Any info you can pass on regarding your cruise and shore trips to Bari, Mykonos, Santorini and Corfu would be appreciated. I have the other ports organised.

Is it true their is no self serve laundry?

We will be in a balcony cabin on either Minuetta or Adagio deck, any tips?

Are we better to go to the dining room for all meals or chance the caffetteria as I have read negative reports about this? ie food cold and Europeans pushy.

How was the show after dinner?

Any trouble getting iced water at meal times?

Look forward to your reply and any other replies regarding this ship. Any others on this cruise that have been watching the boards like I have been please make yourself known.

Will try to answer as many points as possible from all your posts. We were on the 'Virtuoso' deck which is Deck 12 and had a balcony cabin - some friends had an inside one and although the decor was the same as outside they felt a little confined with not windows etc. All the cabins are very tastefully furnished and exceptionally clean.

The question of whether to dine in the restaurant is purely a question of choice. Obviously, it is far more lesiurely and comfortable to be served in the restaurant as the waiters are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble. I too was worried about reports of the food in the self service buffet but needn't have worried. I have never seen such an array of different foods. Sometimes certain dishes were 'warm' rather than hot but I think this was only on certain items. The only time it got a bit fraught was during the midnight buffet which had a different theme each night. Mind you with all the food during the day we only attended this once!!

You will have no trouble getting iced water at meal times so I don't know where it came from that anyone had a problem with this. We did not have the wine package as some of our party did not drink wine (funny people) but the wine list is extensive from quite reasonable to expensive whichever your taste. There are two sittings for the restaurants but I believe you can change this on board.

Entertainment was definitely done with an Italian theme - we only went to one show which was the opera evening but there are many more.

Not being 'sporty' cannot comment on 'gym' but I understand it was very well equipped.

The pool area particularly the one near the big screen area was noisy but then that is where they had entertainment for children/teens and competitions etc. but you can still get a sunbed on top deck and read or just enjoy the views etc. They have a number of quiet places - bars/cigar room, library etc. it is so large the only problem is finding your way about which with me only happened about the last two days!!

The trips are best done on your own - to do the excursions with the ship is expensive and quite short. In Bari the ship actually docked in port and we got a taxi into town for about 15 euros but make sure you get a price first!! Santorini you get the ship's tender to take you to port and to get to the main town/beach or a very steep and long walk but beware unless you get off the ship early as possible the queues for the cable car are very, very long. Mykonos is an eveing trip and a coach takes you from ship to town for a few hours - very beautiful but very crowded. We did our own thing when the ship docked in Athens (Piraeus) and got a cab to take us to all the sights, and bring us back again, once again get a price first! Corfu was the only excursion from the ship that we did as the coach took you to the beach or Corfu town and you got a good 4 hours there - cost approx 37Euros each.

Formal nights are not that formal - the first one where you get to meet the Captain and attend the short cocktail party was a matter of choice - some men had DJ'S and others had ordinary suits - most women dressed up but as long as you are smart no-one worries, even on these 2 nights some people did not even do that and there was no problem - just personal choice.

You asked if the Europeans are pushy, well some are and some are not, just like England the pushy ones seemed only to be so when it came to getting the lifts!! Sorry this is so long but have tried to combine all your queries, if I have missed anything important please contact me.

Kind regards

Chris:)

Chris

Thanks for your reply and glad you had a good time on the Musica.

I plan to have a great time and from what I've just read then I won't be alone.

My husband likes his bacon and eggs for breakfast, any comments, and was there a self serve laundromat?

Anyone got any clues on what the weather will be like at the end of September beginning of October? I have read the temperatures but not sure if this equates to shorts or long pants. What is the general dress code around the ship? As I said in a previous post, my only other cruise left from Australia nd we Aussies are fairly laid back.

Thanks again

Kerry

Chris

Thanks for your reply and glad you had a good time on the Musica.

I plan to have a great time and from what I've just read then I won't be alone.

My husband likes his bacon and eggs for breakfast, any comments, and was there a self serve laundromat?

Anyone got any clues on what the weather will be like at the end of September beginning of October? I have read the temperatures but not sure if this equates to shorts or long pants. What is the general dress code around the ship? As I said in a previous post, my only other cruise left from Australia and we Aussies are fairly laid back.

Thanks again

Kerry

Travelbug -

So happy you and your group enjoyed your cruise.

I was sure you would and was looking forward to your posting, enjoyed reading all your details. Thanks for sharing.

Cherrytutu - re wine packages, here's some info I posted previously that may help.

Wine packages available -

Classic - 4 wine (2 white, 2 red, I think) + 7 mineral water = E79

Superior - 7 wine (3w, 3r, 1rose) + 7 mineral = E129

Prestige - 5 wine (2w, 2r,1 rose) + 7 mw = E 139

Solo Bianchi - 6 premium white wine + 7 mw = E 149

Solo Rossi - 6 premium red wine + 7 mw = E 149

How it works is each package comes with a series of coupons - each coupon is for a specific bottle of wine. You choose which bottle of wine you want to redeem for each night. (At our table, there were no subsitutions allowed, but that may depend on the waiter) If you don't finish a bottle, you can simply ask your waiter to re-cork and bring it back the following night.

We went for the Solo Rossi, which was all very good, but in retrospect, may have gone with more economical bottles from the wine list some nights and then splurged on certain nights.

From the wine list bottles started at about 19E.

A glass of house wine about 3.7 or 4E

The beer package is 63E for 14 large beer, or 32E for 14 small beer.

There's also a cocktail package - 12 cocktails - your choice - for 63E.

And soft drinks 14 for 28E.

Junior card - 5 soft drinks, 5 non-alcoholic cocktails - 31 E

10 Fresh fruit smoothies package - 38E

10 ice cream cones - 20E

You can buy the packages at embarkation or any time during your trip.

The tips are included in the cost of drinks.

Also, we had no trouble picking up a bottle or two of local wine, bottled water, or a 6-pack of beer and bringing it on board from various ports - discreetly packed in my oversized purse.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Hi Packed already

Breakfasts are very good, unfortunately 'bacon' is just not the same as here in England and tends to taste more like ham but there is a very good breakfast selection anyway.There is no self service laundromat - there is a laundry and ironing/drycleaning service but it is quite expensive.

Regards

Chris (travelbug1948)

Hi Packed Already,

We were on the Musica sailing 4 May 2008 and had a great time.

The breakfast...being an aussie we can relate....the bacon is not like bacon you would get here (a bit greasy and not much meat) and don't expect to find too much toast to put it all on. It is definitely different than what we have here but still good.

Santorini, we did on our own, caught the tender to the port of Fira and then rode the donkeys to the top...what a hoot, then hired quad bikes and rode out to Oia. Best day on the cruise for us.

We did the tour off the ship in Bari to Alberobello which was interesting and not too short. Other excursions we found were quite short especially in Athens where we, like Chris, organised a taxi tour with Athens Taxis. We didn't organise anything for Corfu which was disappointing as I didn't enjoy my day there....next time I will know better. Dinner in Mykonos was great (although it was freezing) and a lovely spot to be

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great time and go with an open mind...as you would for any holiday.

:D :D :D

If you are trying to limit your luggage, I suggest you take more cool long pants than shorts.

From my experience, Europeans are more formal than we are. Seems there is a place for everything. On the beach, it is OK for even older women to roll down the tops of their one piece on the beach, to get a tan, yet dress when they leave the beach to just get an icecream. Not like our bikini babes who wander around the shops dressed in their brief beach attire.

Even though I live in shorts at home all year, I only feel comfortable in Europe in shorts at the actual beach or when walking around the ship (exercising). Hence, I only take one or two pairs, depending on the season.

When my daughter lived in London, she used to advise me to leave my bright "Gold Coast clothes" at home, as well as sneakers, however, I should pass muster on our TA cruise.

Thanks for the tips tangles and MMdownunder.

We have also organised our private taxi tour for Athens and Kakatalon. I was also planning the quad bike experience in Santorini, not sure how my parents (early 70's) will take to it but they say they are there for a good time. Haven't decided between cable cars and donkeys - see how the day starts. Did you organise you quad bikes in advance or when you got there? Which company did you use and what price did you pay?

Do you really leave the sneakers at home? Are they frowned on that much? Are sneakers only taboo for women or men also?

Are jeans OK for dressing on the ship and sightseeing or should we be wearing pants? The Europeans must be very different from us as my last cruise on the Pacific Dawn men were in jeans and sneakers, thongs and shorts except for formal nights.

Any suggestions for Corfu as you said you didn't enjoy your day?

Look forward to hearing from you and anyone else who would like to contribute. Thanks in advance.

Kerry

So glad you enjoyed your cruise travelbug. :)

Not real bacon! Lol, I don't know anywhere in Europe that has real bacon, & they certainly don't know how to cook it. Overdone, underdone, greasy, dry, salty etc, you name it, you'll find it. :D Mind you, 'British' bacon is not the same as it used to be either..too thin & full of water these days..now I'm showing my age. ;)

The jeans & sneakers issue I've never understood either. Of course Europeans wear jeans, sneakers, tennis shoes, trainers or whatever. However, in the summer months, particularly in towns & cities, jeans are not so prevalent simply because of the heat. They are so uncomfortable. I was just telling my DH this morning that he needs to leave his beloved jeans behind & buy some cooler pants.. He just said I'll wear my shorts then!!

The sneakers issue is similar, they are often just too heavy a look if wearing light cotton skirts or pants, I think it is more a question of style. However, I think the most important factor here is to be comfortable, & if that means wearing sneakers, then go ahead. You will be doing a lot of walking and comfy shoes should be at the top of your list. Remember too, most of the places you are visiting will be full of tourists. If there is some local who wants waste their time staring at me because of what I have got on my feet, then so be it, lol.

If you are trying to limit your luggage, I suggest you take more cool long pants than shorts.

From my experience, Europeans are more formal than we are. Seems there is a place for everything. On the beach, it is OK for even older women to roll down the tops of their one piece on the beach, to get a tan, yet dress when they leave the beach to just get an icecream. Not like our bikini babes who wander around the shops dressed in their brief beach attire.

Even though I live in shorts at home all year, I only feel comfortable in Europe in shorts at the actual beach or when walking around the ship (exercising). Hence, I only take one or two pairs, depending on the season.

I think this is spot on. For towns like Bari, Dubrovnik, Athens etc, cool pants or cotton skirts would be more appropriate. (Remember shoulders & knees need to be covered too if you plan on visiting any churches in Italy) I'm sure shorts would be fine for Olympia & the Greek Islands. I know my DH will wear his..I probably would too if I wasn't such a pudding, so I'll probably compromise with crop pants.

Oh...& did I mention comfy shoes? Sneakers or whatever...take comfy shoes. :)

Yes, we really do leave our sneakers at home. However, like Sparky1664 says you must take comfortable walking shoes.

We try to take clothes which make us not stand out as tourists, when we are in port visiting towns/cities. However, we dress casually on the ship.

Hi Chris

my wife and I are going on the cruise in September. Can you let me know more about the price of things on board such as drinks, food , entertainment etc.

We are traveling from Australia and its a first cruise for us are drink prices duty free ? did you book tours on board or online through local providers ? any infor would be appreciated.

Cheers

DANG H

Hi Chris

my wife and I are going on the cruise in September. Can you let me know more about the price of things on board such as drinks, food , entertainment etc.

We are traveling from Australia and its a first cruise for us are drink prices duty free ? did you book tours on board or online through local providers ? any infor would be appreciated.

Cheers

DANG H

Will try to answer as many points as possible from all your posts. We were on the 'Virtuoso' deck which is Deck 12 and had a balcony cabin - some friends had an inside one and although the decor was the same as outside they felt a little confined with not windows etc. All the cabins are very tastefully furnished and exceptionally clean.

The question of whether to dine in the restaurant is purely a question of choice. Obviously, it is far more lesiurely and comfortable to be served in the restaurant as the waiters are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble. I too was worried about reports of the food in the self service buffet but needn't have worried. I have never seen such an array of different foods. Sometimes certain dishes were 'warm' rather than hot but I think this was only on certain items. The only time it got a bit fraught was during the midnight buffet which had a different theme each night. Mind you with all the food during the day we only attended this once!!

You will have no trouble getting iced water at meal times so I don't know where it came from that anyone had a problem with this. We did not have the wine package as some of our party did not drink wine (funny people) but the wine list is extensive from quite reasonable to expensive whichever your taste. There are two sittings for the restaurants but I believe you can change this on board.

Entertainment was definitely done with an Italian theme - we only went to one show which was the opera evening but there are many more.

Not being 'sporty' cannot comment on 'gym' but I understand it was very well equipped.

The pool area particularly the one near the big screen area was noisy but then that is where they had entertainment for children/teens and competitions etc. but you can still get a sunbed on top deck and read or just enjoy the views etc. They have a number of quiet places - bars/cigar room, library etc. it is so large the only problem is finding your way about which with me only happened about the last two days!!

The trips are best done on your own - to do the excursions with the ship is expensive and quite short. In Bari the ship actually docked in port and we got a taxi into town for about 15 euros but make sure you get a price first!! Santorini you get the ship's tender to take you to port and to get to the main town/beach or a very steep and long walk but beware unless you get off the ship early as possible the queues for the cable car are very, very long. Mykonos is an eveing trip and a coach takes you from ship to town for a few hours - very beautiful but very crowded. We did our own thing when the ship docked in Athens (Piraeus) and got a cab to take us to all the sights, and bring us back again, once again get a price first! Corfu was the only excursion from the ship that we did as the coach took you to the beach or Corfu town and you got a good 4 hours there - cost approx 37Euros each.

Formal nights are not that formal - the first one where you get to meet the Captain and attend the short cocktail party was a matter of choice - some men had DJ'S and others had ordinary suits - most women dressed up but as long as you are smart no-one worries, even on these 2 nights some people did not even do that and there was no problem - just personal choice.

You asked if the Europeans are pushy, well some are and some are not, just like England the pushy ones seemed only to be so when it came to getting the lifts!! Sorry this is so long but have tried to combine all your queries, if I have missed anything important please contact me.

Kind regards

Dear all..even if we are Italian we are going to have our first cruise with an Italian Cruise Line (MSC) after 3 time on Carnival and teice on RCCL.

I read about sneakers: it's true. We (Italians) are very fond of clothing but at the top of priorities are shoes. Forget to see any Italian lady or girl with sneakers or (worst) flip-flop during after 6pm on the ship. It's more o less the same with male shoes. For us, during holidays no chance as well to wear too "simple" expecially during the dinners.

Italian rule to soon understand if someone is foreign is looking at the shoes....eh eh eh :p

By the way some question for our next East Med Cruise with MSC Musica next August 18 if you can.

1) docking/tendering -> can you please advise where the ship docks? When tendering are they managed it? We are thinking to book a shore excursion to skip a little the waiting list...

2) during dinner is available water in caraff or glass?

3) at the ship pool there are any problem to find a free chair? also far from the pool..

4) we have already been to Athens Acropolis and La Plaka: any suggestion for a different trips?

Ciao

Hi

We were first time cruisers to but soon got the hang of things.

Drinks were probably more expensive than at home but not exceptionally so - I drink wine and I think that was about 5 euros a glass (similar to home) I understand beer was a little dearer but still not exceptional. The selection of cocktails was amazing - probably from around 5 -7/8 euros - remember if you are drinking spirits say gin/tonic for example, the gin nearly fills the glass before you get any tonic in so all in all you get good value for money.

We were so full from all the 'paid for' food on board that while we were on the ship we never bought any extra food unless we went on shore.

The entertainment is all free except for the spa's etc. The trips are best organised yourselves as that is much cheaper and I think nicer. We booked the ship's excursion to Corfu as we wanted to go to the beach for the afternoon and that was 37 euros each. Other than that the ship docks in port then organises coaches to take you into the main areas, or the tender to take you ashore for about 6 euros.

Kind regards

Hi Chris

much appreciated, it all sounds very exciting we cant wait. Just to re cap on the tours did you suggest take the ships transport to the central area`s then look for a tour or did you pre book via the internet before you arrived ? We are just anxious for say a tour to the Accropolis wont be impossible when we get into town as all places are taken ? what are your thoughts. Many thanks again for taking the time to reply

Cheers

Dangh

Hi Dangh..and travelbug. :)

Hope you don't mind me butting in, just a few thoughts for you Dangh to be going on with.

I think Chris (travelbug) is saying you are better exploring the ports on your own. Shore excursions can be expensive and sometimes there is a lot of waiting around for other passengers etc. Sometimes they are a good option & it is really down to personal preference. We will occassionally take a shore excursion, but they will tend to be the more relaxing ones.

We are a family of four. We generally 'do' the ports on our own but for major sites I tend to book private drivers or guides. For four people they work out in the same price region as the ship's tours, or sometimes they are much cheaper, depending on the country. If you have more people they tend to come in cheaper.

For Athens next year I have booked a driver. He is charging me 220 Euros for an 8 to 9 hour tour which works out at roughly £45 ($85) per person, although entrance fees will of course be extra. Our provisional itinerary includes all the major sights, the Acropolis (we will be driven to the ticket booth which will save us some of the climb), changing of the guard, National Archaeological Museum , Ceramiko, Roman Agora, Tower of Winds and the Plaka etc. We have also included a trip to the battleship Averof which has become a Naval museum and a coastal drive/stop.

The other advantage of this is we can adjust the times/sights as we go. If we wish to spend more time at one sight & less at another, see something extra or skip something we can.

Take a look at these websites, both drivers have been highly recommended on these CC boards.

http://www.athens-tours.gr/index.html

http://www.athenstaxi.org/

Athens is also easily do-able on your own via either train or picking up a taxi at the port to take you to the acropolis. I think guides are available there if you wish to hire one. There are couple of threads on the Med board which you may find helpful.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791796

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=814795

Thanks Sparky 1664

Cut in anytime, We appreciate all the feedback and tips we can get. We are pretty well traveled but new to Cruises so any tips much appreciated cheers

Dangh

Hi Dangh..and travelbug. :)

Hope you don't mind me butting in, just a few thoughts for you Dangh to be going on with.

I think Chris (travelbug) is saying you are better exploring the ports on your own. Shore excursions can be expensive and sometimes there is a lot of waiting around for other passengers etc. Sometimes they are a good option & it is really down to personal preference. We will occassionally take a shore excursion, but they will tend to be the more relaxing ones.

We are a family of four. We generally 'do' the ports on our own but for major sites I tend to book private drivers or guides. For four people they work out in the same price region as the ship's tours, or sometimes they are much cheaper, depending on the country. If you have more people they tend to come in cheaper.

For Athens next year I have booked a driver. He is charging me 220 Euros for an 8 to 9 hour tour which works out at roughly £45 ($85) per person, although entrance fees will of course be extra. Our provisional itinerary includes all the major sights, the Acropolis (we will be driven to the ticket booth which will save us some of the climb), changing of the guard, National Archaeological Museum , Ceramiko, Roman Agora, Tower of Winds and the Plaka etc. We have also included a trip to the battleship Averof which has become a Naval museum and a coastal drive/stop.

The other advantage of this is we can adjust the times/sights as we go. If we wish to spend more time at one sight & less at another, see something extra or skip something we can.

Take a look at these websites, both drivers have been highly recommended on these CC boards.

http://www.athens-tours.gr/index.html

http://www.athenstaxi.org/

Athens is also easily do-able on your own via either train or picking up a taxi at the port to take you to the acropolis. I think guides are available there if you wish to hire one. There are couple of threads on the Med board which you may find helpful.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791796

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=814795

Thanks for the tips tangles and MMdownunder.

We have also organised our private taxi tour for Athens and Kakatalon. I was also planning the quad bike experience in Santorini, not sure how my parents (early 70's) will take to it but they say they are there for a good time. Haven't decided between cable cars and donkeys - see how the day starts. Did you organise you quad bikes in advance or when you got there? Which company did you use and what price did you pay?

Do you really leave the sneakers at home? Are they frowned on that much? Are sneakers only taboo for women or men also?

Are jeans OK for dressing on the ship and sightseeing or should we be wearing pants? The Europeans must be very different from us as my last cruise on the Pacific Dawn men were in jeans and sneakers, thongs and shorts except for formal nights.

Any suggestions for Corfu as you said you didn't enjoy your day?

Look forward to hearing from you and anyone else who would like to contribute. Thanks in advance.

Kerry

We hired our quad bikes at the top, it was a spur of the moment thing and was only about 15euro for as long as you want. Couldn't tell you which company it was but there are plenty that we saw.

:D

Thanks for your information on Quad bikes. 15 Euros sounds reasonable for the day. Did you need an International Driver's Licence?

Any hints on Corfu, I have heard mixed feedback? Is there anything specific there I would want to see? Could you enjoy your day just by wandering around the port?

Is there anyone who has just returned who has anything further to contribute?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Kerry

Thanks for your information on Quad bikes. 15 Euros sounds reasonable for the day. Did you need an International Driver's Licence?

Any hints on Corfu, I have heard mixed feedback? Is there anything specific there I would want to see? Could you enjoy your day just by wandering around the port?

Is there anyone who has just returned who has anything further to contribute?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Kerry

We visited Corfu in May. We went to Achilleion Palace with an excurision group and then to the city center.

The palace was very interesting and beautiful.

We would have liked to have more time to see the city, however. We could have spent most of the day looking around the city, shopping, and enjoying a leisurely drink or two and watch the people. We didn't get into port until noon and had to be back by around 6 p.m. so we did fill a bit rushed. My point is that I think you will have a good days visit just wandering around the city center.

I'm sure whatever you do you will enjoy.

DT

:) We were in Corfu on June 20th - took the ship's shuttle into town and then just spent the day on our own enjoying the city.

Interesting shopping and lots of outside patios to enjoy a drink and people watch on the main square.

We also wandered along the street that follows the sea, and found a great little restaurant hanging over the edge of the cliff for a "magic" lunch - spectacular view overlooking smaller islands and beaches. The water below was so clear that we were entertained by schools of fish eating the leftover bread that we tossed down to them. Wonderful memories and worth finding.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your day.

Archived