cozumel beach diving

a123

Cozumel isn't known as a shore dive destination.

You might try the shore dive at Blue Angel/Caribe Blue Hotel.

Playa Palancar has an on-site dive operator that will take you to Palancar reef if you want a boat dive.

We did a shore dive from Blue Angel back in May in order to check out some new equipment. On the positive side it was cheap (I think a tank cost maybe $6). On the negative side there wasn't much to see compared to the outstanding diving we had daily from the boats.

Right next to Blue Angel is a new facility for people who want to swim with stingrays. IMHO it's a terrible place. The area (less than half the size of a football field) is enclosed with a huge net which allows smaller fish to swim in and out but holds several large rays captive. It really bothered me to see these majestic creatures penned in like that. Our dive took us around the outside perimeter of the enclosure and we had some "Free Willy" ideas but maybe Coz isn't the best place to practice civil disobedience ;)

If you have several days there by all means try a shore dive. But if you only have a day or two in Cozumel I think it would be a shame to miss the outer dive sites.

If you have several days there by all means try a shore dive. But if you only have a day or two in Cozumel I think it would be a shame to miss the outer dive sites.

I totally agree, which is why I said that Cozumel isn't known as a shore diving destination. If you can only dive there one day, do a boat dive.

Try the Airplane Wreck, a small plane sank as a prop for a movie years ago. It still hold a good reef fish populations and often attracts larger fish. Before hurricane Wilma a huge Green Moray called this wreck home. The sight is still a good shore dive to do a refresher dive, between boat dives since the deepest point is only 32 feet you can get some long photography dives. Also at night the area really comes alive and is a really good night shore dive.

Entry is either at the north side from Aqua World or just east of the wreck at La Ceiba or from the south at a small beach just north of the Dive With Martin shop. Nice concrete stairs lead to a small sandy entry area.

Can this or other shore dive spots on Cozumel compete with the great reefs (deep and shallow) just off shore, NOT in my opinion but if you like to burn air like I do there are many shore dives on this island that put many other locations best dives to shame, IMHO.

By all means do the boat dives, but don't just discount the great shore dives on this island. I did a couple of dives (first dive of the trip while waiting for our room to be ready, and a night dive) on the wreck in July and will do another dive or two here in a couple of weeks, maybe I'll see you there :cool:.

For the record....

the only place you should shore dive in Coz is in a VERY protected area.

The currents on the island, 'tween the island and the mainland can really rip, and can change very quickly. I watched the senior harbor pilot put a hole in a cruiseship and know a case of a jet skier who was three days at sea b4 found (amazingly)

Your SAFE bet is a drift dive with an experienced divemaster and chase boat.

We saw divers at Chankanaab. I don't know if it was a beginners class or what but of all of the places that I have snorkeled Chank and Dzul Ha have been the best from shore. I have to agree with the others. If you have one day to dive, your best bet is from a boat.

For the record....

the only place you should shore dive in Coz is in a VERY protected area.

The currents on the island, 'tween the island and the mainland can really rip, and can change very quickly. I watched the senior harbor pilot put a hole in a cruiseship and know a case of a jet skier who was three days at sea b4 found (amazingly)

Your SAFE bet is a drift dive with an experienced divemaster and chase boat.

I have heard of shark attacks within a few feet of several Florida beaches but this won't keep most of us out of your surf on the Florida coast.

Sorry but most of the better known shore dive areas on the west side of Cozumel are more than safe for any competent diver of any certified diver skill level. Usually the key to a safe dive is to be prepared and have the proper training. The plane wreck area is about as protected as it gets on most islands.

• 5 weeks later...

We do the beach dives at Chankanaab as ceritified divers many times. It is an easy dive at around 40 feet and has a swim through cave and tons of different fish each time we go. Get there anytime from the ship and it is around $40 a person to dive with a guide. Debbie

Archived