Bringing home bulbs from Holland

TravelingProf

As far as I recall, you can. However, the "good" bulbs are harvested only at certain times of the year and that isn't when they are blooming. Many of the vendors take orders and then ship the bulbs to the US when it is harvest time.

CPT is correct. When on my Tulips and Windmills tour this year, we were offered order forms to pre-order bulbs from the growers.

They are not harvested until the fall and they are sent out then.

You could probably order the same things right from home.

One other comment about the bulbs. They were alot more expensive than I thought they would be. All priced in Euros to boot...

We purchased some gifts for friend at a kiosk in one of the markets in Amsterdam. They were really cute - ceramic "wooden" shoes with bulbs in them. When we went through customs back home the bulbs were confiscated and destroyed. The only bulbs you can bring back are the ones they sell at the airport in Holland. They are the ones with the certificate on the back of the package. We were just a little disappointed, but my wife picked up some bulbs at home and replaced the ones that were taken. They still made nice gifts.

Buck

You do not have to buy them in the airport. The ones for US export are labeled just so. They are available in the fall. You can buy them at the floating market. We did--no problem bringing them home. If you come home from a different country, they might not even ask you. Have never known of anyone on any of our flights having them taken. If you go at a time other than when the US bulbs are available the vendors will take an order and ship them to you. Good luck. Pat

I've bought tulip bulbs both at the airport and at the flower market in Amsterdam on two separate occasions. The ones that can be brought into the US are clearly labelled. I bought them in July and August, and I don't know how "fresh" they were. However, my father had no problems with what I brought him.

My DW (girlfriend at the time) had bulbs shipped home from a grower near Amsterdam when we toured the site. They were quite expensive and probably even more so now.

They arrived late Fall. She had gardeners plant them but none of them grew. About the same time I bought a few packages of tulip bulbs from Costco. I stuck them in the ground without much care but they all grew and they were beautiful. They've been blooming ever Spring for the past 4 years.

If I were you, I'd buy tulip bulbs locally where they are more likely to be suited for your climate.

Archived