to do or not to do

mdeane

I know this is a late question as we leave on Tue. for Alaska, but we so want to do the 6 hour Kenai Fjords cruise in Seward. My DH is very prone to seasickness so could anyone advise how he would fare if he had on the Scop. patch and took Bonine. Also taking ginger root capsules and have ginger chews. In your opinion if you have been, could he make it on the boat? He has no problem on the huge ships. Thanks for your opinion.

I know this is a late question as we leave on Tue. for Alaska, but we so want to do the 6 hour Kenai Fjords cruise in Seward. My DH is very prone to seasickness so could anyone advise how he would fare if he had on the Scop. patch and took Bonine. Also taking ginger root capsules and have ginger chews. In your opinion if you have been, could he make it on the boat? He has no problem on the huge ships. Thanks for your opinion.

We took the 9 hour Kenai Fjords cruise last month which went to the Northwestern Glacier. The boat is fairly large and we didn't feel a lot of movement. I don't think your husband would have a problem. The cruise itself was amazing.

We took the 6 hour Kenai Fjords cruise and our trip was pretty rough while we were out in the gulf of Alaska and we had several seasick people onboard. We felt fine but I was surprised at how rough it was because the cruise was included as part of our landtour with HAL. For something that wasn't an extra option I would have expected the ride to be very smooth. It may have been that the gulf was extra rough that day but I had conflicting information on this. The girl working in the galley that I asked about the wave height said it was about average and that the previous week it had been so bad they had to put things on the floor to keep stuff from flying off the counters and they didn't let the passengers walk around due to safety concerns. OTOH the captain of our boat decided on the way back from glacier viewing to take the tour around the islands that were back in Resurrection bay to see the puffins and sea lions rather than the islands that were out in the gulf that we were supposed to go to. We did have some great sightings of Orcas, Humpbacked Whales, and other wildlife on the trip. I would love to do the 9 hour tour even.

I had conflicting information on this. The girl working in the galley that I asked about the wave height said it was about average

Even if it was the roughest weather EVER, I'm pretty sure they would not admit it to anyone, esp if you were looking at all concerned.

so could anyone advise how he would fare if he had on the Scop. patch and took Bonine. .

do not mix your drugs. except for recreational use..........

try the scop patch at home first in a controled environment. some people have adverse reactions. being a drooling idiot is not anyway to enjoy your holiday. remember, scopolamine was used as "truth serum" as it reduced your inhibitions.

Thanks for the advice Botton-Dragger, I am a Registered Nurse having worked Emergency Dept. for many years as well as ICU. We have used these for a number of trips with great success. I am aware some people do have reactions but we usually do not. We do not use recreational drugs so can not speak to that.

Has anyone done the trip with the use of medications and not been sick?

Even if it was the roughest weather EVER, I'm pretty sure they would not admit it to anyone, esp if you were looking at all concerned.

I agree that the girl may not have been divulging the full truth although I definitely didn't look at all concerned. I only asked because I was curious. The girl seemed to have no qualms about talking about the trip that was much rougher but I kind of wonder if that isn't an extreme case she was talking about. I actually think the captain changing our course was more telling that the water was rougher than usual. In fact I suspect the course we ended up taking is the standard alternative plan if the gulf is on the rough side.

We did a 7 hour Seward boat tour on a 30 foot boat in June. I used the Scop. patch for the first time as did my 18 y.o. son. Neither of us had any adverse reactions. In fact for the first time in my adult life I was able to go on the water without puking. I not only didn't get sick I didn't even feel queasy. We were lucky in that the entire 2 weeks we were there the water was mirror flat. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the replies. I am hoping DH will be able to do the Kenai Fjords cruise with sickness. We will wait until the morning of the cruise and see what the water appears to be like. I know you have to get out of the bay before you really know but surely the captain will have an idea by then.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for calm seas for one day.

We took the 6 hour dinner cruise on July 3rd. The waters became VERY rough and many people were VERY sick. Thank God we had premedicated and did not vomit like so many others. The captain did intentionally change courses and go back to more protected and calm waters for the duration of the cruise. They still served dinner which was gross after so many had been sick...

We ended up getting a $40/person refund. Take the meds!

Conditions can be very rough on this trip. It's my understanding that calm waters are the exception, not the rule. When we went in 2007, it was so rough that we had to turn back. Luckily we had taken Bonine before we set out and did not get sick, but we were still queasy. Definitely take precautions before you go.

I am still wondering if anyone who took medication still got sick? In other words, if the medication does not work then we best not go. How long are you in the rough water? Sorry I have so many questions.

Ok folks you can take it for what it's worth.

My husband was...probably still is...of the opinion that the wrist bands are a waste of money and are useless. It's "all in the head" according to him. Luckily, I take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt...I put on the bands anyway.

I've used the wrist bands twice, both times in rough channels between two islands. Once while crossing the channel between the North and South Islands of New Zealand on a car ferry...where you notice as you board that all the furniture is nailed down and there's a nurse in attendance. The second time aboard a fair-sized fishing vessel between Maui and the Big Island during the total eclipse of the sun in 1991...I don't know if it's usually that rough or if it was just a sun/moon thing that day.

My memory recalls that on the first occasion...as I stood at the rail watching the "flying fish" between the rolling waves...I smiled and looked over at my pale, bent husband leaning over the rail and said..."It's all in the head". On the second occasion I just let it go...

We took Bonine and also still felt a little queasy. The patch with Bonine may be the best combo. We went with Kenai Fjords.

I understand this is a very nice trip when the waters are calm. Maybe someone can tell you if the morning is better than the afternoon. We were 3pm to 9pm... but came back early. According to the captain there was no pre warning that the water would be so rough... but it sure seems to have a history of it. Maybe those already out should communicate with the other captains more.

Honestly I do not think I would chance it again. It is an expensive trip... I believe ours cost $160/person and we received a $40 refund. However we and most others were absolutely miserable and would have prefered to return to port rather than continue on to calmer waters.... the damage had already been done.

Thanks so much for the replies. I am hoping DH will be able to do the Kenai Fjords cruise with sickness. We will wait until the morning of the cruise and see what the water appears to be like. I know you have to get out of the bay before you really know but surely the captain will have an idea by then.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for calm seas for one day.

This has NO predictability on how the seas will be. You most certainly can have a "calm" looking day in Seward, first of all it's a bay. Then can hit some severe rough sailing. Sea conditions are in a constant state of change, these are long boat tours.

I've sailed this many many times, and always see sick passengers on every trip. Key is prevention, which the above remedys are known for. You are asking a question that can not be answered for what you will encounter. Only you can decide, if the "risk" is for you or not. IF you are looking at sure answers, you aren't going to get them.

Archived