Which itinerary?

We're looking at 2 itineraries next fall, both 14 day cruises (how lucky are we??!!). Any insight would be great, but I do understand it comes down to what we want at the end of the day...

#1 - Barcelona, St. Tropez, Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome (2 days), Sorrento (2 days), Sicily, Malta, Tunisia, Menora Spain, Mallorca, Barcelona. One sea day.

#2 - Barcelona, Monte Carlo, La Spezia, Florence, Rome, Sorrento, Nauphon Greece, Valos Greece, Istanbul (2 days), Kusadi, Chios Greece, Athens. Two sea days.

I've never been to Rome, so 2 days sounds great to me in #1, but I think I'd like more sea days to rest. #2 has that, but only one day in Rome. Have always dreamt about the Greek Isles, but don't know if #2 is a good representation (no Mykynos!).

Any thoughts? Prices are the same BTW.

Thanks.

I had your same dilemna - and decided to concentrate on Western Med first, and not mix in a bit of Greek isles into a Western Med. -

In an eastern Med - I would definitely want Santorini in the Greek isle mix, and probably either Split or Dubrovnik. However that is just me.

with option #1: you only need either pre- or post cruise (Barcelona r/t) and that would cut down on costs. 2 days in rome - easy to get to city by train - and one of the days you could do something near the port (Civitavecchia) - more low key.

Sorrento: one day you could do Amalfi Coast drive/Pompeii - another day you could get down to Capri - the 2 days in Sorrento is a nice bonus.

I would think St. Tropez and Mallorca could be "easy and low-key days" - you may not even be docked a full day in Mallorca.

Just my 2 cents worth -

If you think you will not be getting to Europe again any time in the near future - you may want option #2 which really combines east and west.

We're looking at 2 itineraries next fall, both 14 day cruises (how lucky are we??!!). Any insight would be great, but I do understand it comes down to what we want at the end of the day...

#1 - Barcelona, St. Tropez, Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome (2 days), Sorrento (2 days), Sicily, Malta, Tunisia, Menora Spain, Mallorca, Barcelona. One sea day.

#2 - Barcelona, Monte Carlo, La Spezia, Florence, Rome, Sorrento, Nauphon Greece, Valos Greece, Istanbul (2 days), Kusadi, Chios Greece, Athens. Two sea days.

I've never been to Rome, so 2 days sounds great to me in #1, but I think I'd like more sea days to rest. #2 has that, but only one day in Rome. Have always dreamt about the Greek Isles, but don't know if #2 is a good representation (no Mykynos!).

Any thoughts? Prices are the same BTW.

Thanks.

You've got some really great choices there!! I think you'll really enjoy having two days in Rome. There is so much to see and one day won't cut it. I'm a personal believer that Rome is a "must do" for any world traveler and 2 days will be better for you to see all the sites. In choice #2 is obviously more Greece intensive. I would choose Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, and Corfu to get the best out of a trip to the Isles. (Maybe that's a thought for another trip in the future??!?!) My next cruise is a 12 day Med with Carnival that visits Rome, Livorno, Naples (optional day trip to Capri), Izmir, Istanbul, Marmaris (optional trip day trip to Rhodes), Athens, and Katakolon. I think that trip is the perfect mix of everything. So if you didn't have your heart set on those 2 it might be something worth looking into. Your trip travels the western med as well which might be exactly what you want. Just a thought. I wouldn't worry too much about days at sea. Although it's very port extensive you will have the evening time to relax by the pool or in a lounge. Some of the time spent in a port may be relaxing. For example, for the day I'm docked at Naples I've chosen a nice leisurely day on Capri just exploring the island. It can be as hectic or relaxing as you make it. If you are chosing to do excursions with the ship there are always "On Your Own" options that allow you to go about site seeing at your own pace! And then you have those people who choose to stay on the ship while in port. It's all up to you! Your cruise is whatever you choose to make it! If you really are loving the idea of visiting the Greek Isles here are some other itineraries I know of:

14 Night Ancient Empires Cruise on board Celebrity Equinox

10 Night Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on board Celebrity Solstice

12-Day Egypt & Greek Isles, Istanbul to Athens on board Norwegian Jade

12-Day Greek Isles and Mediterranean Rome to Venice on board Grand Princess (this one is my favorite!! Mykonos, Santorini, and Corfu)

Good luck and I hope I've helped! :)

here are some other itineraries I know of:

14 Night Ancient Empires Cruise on board Celebrity Equinox

10 Night Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on board Celebrity Solstice

12-Day Egypt & Greek Isles, Istanbul to Athens on board Norwegian Jade

12-Day Greek Isles and Mediterranean Rome to Venice on board Grand Princess (this one is my favorite!! Mykonos, Santorini, and Corfu)

Good luck and I hope I've helped! :)

Celebrity Summit has two itineraries that look good...

12-night Classical Mediterranean - 3 sea days

Barcelona, Spain, Cannes, France, Florence, Italy, Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy, Naples/Capri, Italy, Santorini, Greece, Athens (Piraeus), Greece, Dubrovnik, Croatia, Venice, Italy

14-night Mediterranean Legacies - 3 sea days

Venice, Italy, Dubrovnik, Croatia, Athens (Piraeus), Greece, Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey, Naples/Capri, Italy, Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy, Florence, Italy, Nice (Villefranche), France, Barcelona, Spain

We are doing the Classical cruise in reverse this August - Venice to Barcelona. To me it contains everything we'd like to see, although we have been to both Rome and Venice before.

Venice to me is such a lovely and unique city that I feel it deserves several days, either pre- or post-cruise.

Thanks for the feedback. We want to try a smaller ship, and are looking at Azamara after the great Alaska cruise we just finished with Celebrity.

I think we're going to go with #1 and focus on the western Med this time with the bonus of hitting the African continent! We're definitely planning on going back, and I agree that a focus on the eastern Med next trip would give us the best of both worlds. I'm just excited to have a 14 day cruise to look forward to.

Be sure and add AT LEAST one extra day pre-cruise and one or two post cruise. No point taking any chances in case flights are delayed and an extra day or two at the end will give you time to really see Barcelona.

Be sure and add AT LEAST one extra day pre-cruise and one or two post cruise. No point taking any chances in case flights are delayed.

We're planning to go in a few days early to explore Barcelona, thanks.

In my opinion, I'd go for the cruise with more sea days. I know it sounds crazy because you spend the money to go you want to see and do as much as possible, but because of seeing and doing as much as possible your family will be trashed. The extra sea day will make all the difference in having the energy to see what you want in the most important places and give your family a chance to decompress so the grumpies don't take over.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you looking at the 9/13/09 sailing? If so we just booked that cruise and there is a thread started on the Azamara rol call board. There is another couple also on that sailing.

We did the Med/Greek Isles last year on Brilliance and it's wonderful. Honestly if you are wanting to do the Greek Isles Santorinni is a MUST so I'd hold out for that.

If you're on this sailing take a look on the roll call board.

Kathy

We ended up changing our itinerary to the end of October - our son will be starting college (thus the celebration!) and it looks like family days are September and early October.

We're excited about the itinerary and with A's current special and our TA's credits, it's actually going to be affordable!

The trip will be Rome-Sorrento-Santorini-Mykonos-Rhodes-Turkey-Cyprus-Israel-Port Said/Alexandria Egypt-Chios-Athens with two sea days.

I guess the upside to the down economy is good deals for those of us who can still afford to travel.

Archived