Passport or Birth Certificate and DL?

trishaedge

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise on Dec 12th on the NCL Dream. I have read that a Driver's License and Birth Certificate can be used to enter the ports of call instead of a passport. My questions is what do I do about my birth certificate and driver's license not having the same last name? Has anyone else ran into this problem? Do I need to bring my marriage certificate also?

My girlfriend told me she had a terribly time on some cruises before she had a passport because her birth certificate had her maiden name and her DL had her married name. If you still have time, I would suggest a passport just to be safe.

Hi, we do not have passports. Just driver's license & birth certificate. I have never had a problem. Neither has my husband. I have been on six cruises and it has never been a problem. My maiden name & dr. license have different last names and it has never been a problem. I have thought of getting passports, but they are expensive, and you really don't show your id very often. You show it at the desk when you check in and they give you a cruise card and take your picture. I do take them with me off the ship, but have never needed them to get back on the ship, the ship card was enough. You do need your dr.license & birth cert. to re-enter the U.S. after your cruise. But I have NEVER had a problem. I take approximately two cruises a year, and passports are expensive. It is really up to you. Passports are easier if you don't mind the expense.

Just go ahead and get your passports! They are good for 10 years!!!

And who knows , once you cruise, you may want to do so again - and you will be ready to go anywhere in the world. That happened to me. I never expected to really need a passport for my first cruise, but decided to get one. And that was about 15 years ago. Fate took a hand, and I had an unexpected opportunity - on short notice - to cruise to South America. If I hadn't had my passport I would have had to not even consider that cruise. And it was so easy to renew my passport last year. The world is changing and sometime soon I feel passports will be required. And, besides, even when traveling in the U.S. - a passport is so much easier, and sometimes quicker, as an ID!

I guess expense is somewhat relative. I didn't want to spend to money on a passport at first, but as we2cruise says, they are good for several years and very convenient. i have used mine on cruises and on flights to Mexico. Just seems so much more convenient to me than having to keep up with other forms of id. Of course it might work better in my case becuase I am less organized than others.

I agree to just go ahead and get the passport. I know of a friend that had the opportunity at the last minute to fly to London for $199! from Denver! Because she already had her passport she was able to take the trip. The cost really isn't that expensive and the process is very easy. Do an internet search on US Passport and you will find several hits. Find one that has the paperwork. Fill it out and take it to your local post office. They can take your picture and then you are set. Be sure and do an internet search for the post office nearest you that accepts passport applications and takes the pictures. It truly is easier with the passport.

DL and birth certificate will work even if you have your maiden name of your birth certificate. They understand you were born before you got married. That being said I wouldn't considered traveling without a passport. We did do the Caribbean many times without them for a few years. Now, it's beyond my wildest imagination that anyone would not have a passport. I wouldn't be surprised to see the laws change in the next few years requiring passports. Might as well be ahead of the game. Happy cruising,

NMNita

If you have time and don't want a passport. Get a marriage certificate from the town you were married. They are cheap enough and I had mine the next day after calling the town hall where my marriage took place.

• 3 weeks later...

So what happens if your ship stops in a foreign country and you have an accident or get too sick to stay on the ship? You might also miss the ship.

As soon as the ship departs that port without you - and you have no passport - you will have a very expensive problem on your hands. Better to get the passport. A small investment for peace of mind.

I've been on 4 cruises and have taken my marriage license but they have never asked to see it. If I was Jane Doe at birth and DL says Jane Smith and I'm with John Smith, they know that I am still Jane Doe only married :) Anyway that's what they told me at check in. Maybe if you are not traveling with your husband, might be trickier. Besides both DL and birth certificate have your birthday and hopefully they match!

I would still take the marriage license just in case.

Luanne

Some like to say that passports last for 10 yrs before they expire. My BC is good until death.

Some like to say passports are cheap when prorated for 10 years. My BC is Cheaper, expecially when prorated until death.

Some like to say with a passport, you need to carry only that one form. I carry my DL all the time and a BC is only one other form.

Some like to say in this changing world passports will soon be required. I'll bet that was also the topic of one of the first posts on CC 9 years ago.

It's up to you. I'd get the passport but if I were you, I wouldn't sweat it if you don't.

-Monte

Archived