Additional Tipping / Gratuity Question

h3rjp

Hi All

I have done a bit of searching in the forum and can't really find a definative answer to this question.

Assuming we leave the auto-tips in place, to whom and for what services would you consider leaving an addtional tip?

I'm talking about for the cabin steward, the guy that delivers the bags, room service people etc?

You'll know that the whole question of general gratuities isn't something people from UK have much of a general handel on, but I appriciate Princess Cruises are American Style service and I want to make sure I'm not massivly overtipping or undertipping.

As a general rule whenever I'm in the USA I normally tip about 15% of the total for service in restaurants, but how does it work if the service is "complimentary" and you are paying an automatic gratuity anyway?

We are having a suite, so when the person brings our clothes back the complimentary laundry - what sort of tip (if any) is normal?

Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question - but I can really estimate?

Also would you "sign" for your tip or tip in cash?

Hi All

I have done a bit of searching in the forum and can't really find a definative answer to this question.

Assuming we leave the auto-tips in place, to whom and for what services would you consider leaving an addtional tip?

I'm talking about for the cabin steward, the guy that delivers the bags, room service people etc?

You'll know that the whole question of general gratuities isn't something people from UK have much of a general handel on, but I appriciate Princess Cruises are American Style service and I want to make sure I'm not massivly overtipping or undertipping.

As a general rule whenever I'm in the USA I normally tip about 15% of the total for service in restaurants, but how does it work if the service is "complimentary" and you are paying an automatic gratuity anyway?

We are having a suite, so when the person brings our clothes back the complimentary laundry - what sort of tip (if any) is normal?

Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question - but I can really estimate?

Also would you "sign" for your tip or tip in cash?

First it is not a stupid question but a considerate one of understanding cultural diversity. Thanks for asking.

We Americans tend to over-tip, but the 15% rule is about right. The auto-tip is intended to cover all those people behind the scenes who support your cruise experience as well as those you see and was Princess' attempt at providing some equity into the tipping system. Most of the crew are either European or from the Phillipines and will understand that tipping may be different from the different passengers depending on country of origin.

For individual services, a lot of the invoices you may sign are now including a place to "write in" a tip. Room service is one area where this change has taken place. We will typically add a tip equivalent to that for a restaurant where breakfast is served - typically about $1 US per person.

The laundry we've had done is usually delivered by our steward - he is a special case and typically we compensate extra at the end of the cruise.

In reality, extra tipping in cash is not required when one uses the auto-tip. Small tips e.g. USD $1 are probably about right for other services where you feel this is beyond what is covered by your cruise fare and auto-tip.

Other people will answer differently. These are my internal guidelines.

The only people you would tip for luggage would be on the pier at the beginning and end of the cruise. We usually tip $1.00 per bag that we check in at the pier or the porter takes when we disembark. As for on board tipping we leave the automatic tips in place and if someone really does extra special for us, we will give them extra. Usually the people we give extra to are the cabin steward, table waiter (traditional dining), and assistant waiter. The only time we will tip the table captain or Maitre d' is if they have performed an extra service for us. For room service in the cabin you can sign the "check" and add the tip to it or you can give $1.00 per person tip in cash. As a previous poster noted, the cabin steward is the one responsible for bringing laundry back to you. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Archived