Not at all satisfied...

jguy69

We just returned from a VERY disappointing 8-day on the Oosterdam. I have read many of the comments about HAL and this ship, and I cannot say enough about how disappointed we are.

From numerous disappointing meals (the Pinnacle Grill should at least know how to cook a filet) to indifferent service to lack of on-board activities, to the Captain making up time by spinning around twice at Hubbard glacier and high-tailing it to Sitka, we were shocked at how devoid of anything special this HAL cruise was. We won't be returning to this line anytime soon. The only thing that saved this cruise for us was the absolute beauty of Alaska (which HAL had nothing to do with).

Little confused about the "8" day cruise on Oosterdam since HAL's schedule for Oosterdam only includes "7" day cruises out of Seattle

But hey, that's small potatoes! Sorry things didn't work out for you and the family. We live and learn and HAL is certainly not for all of us

Just got done reading a review from another Oosterdam Alaska cruise (12-19 JUL 08) by poster 22Vines. That just shows once again that two persons can have a totally different experience on the same ship and on the same itinerary

ms Oosterdam July 12 - 19 - Just Back

Here is my quick take on our July 12 - July 19 cruise with the family (Wife and I are in our mid 40’s, Daughter, 8 and Son, 14) on the ms Oosterdam. This was our 6th cruise and first to Alaska. The itinerary was Seattle, day at sea, Juneau, Hubbard Glacier Cruising, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria Canada, and back to Seattle.

Best parts

Holland America is an excellent cruise line. I would give HAL a solid A. We will definitely sail with HAL again. We all enjoyed the cruise. Embarkation/Disembarkation was the best we have ever had – no contest here. HAL has this well thought out.

Ms Oosterdam overall is a very subdued, quiet, elegant ship. Clean; logical; big but not too big. We did not miss the bright lights and glitzy feel. The number of cruises are showing some wear. This is to be expected and she is still an awesome ship.

The crew overall were always saying “Hi” and willing to serve. Crew was great with the kids.

The itinerary. You really get more seas days than you think on this route. Loved Sitka (non-touristy), Ketchikan (fun but far too short of a stay), Hubbard Glacier (simply awesome), Mendenhall Glacier (amazing), Victoria was very nice (need more time in this port too).

Alaska – saw a few Whales, Bald Eagles, a Seal, Salmon jumping in Juneau, Dolphins, the incredible scenery, and overwhelming mountains.

The weather – pretty good the entire trip. We had a priceless sunny day at Hubbard Glacier. We did have some rough seas on day 1 at sea.

The Dining room food/staff – so much of it!! All of very good quality and with great service.

Buying the Wine Card – Best deal on the ship.

Morning room service with coffee

Club HAL – Daughter loved it daily. Lots to do and we had to drag her away at times.

Favorite Deck – Deck 3. Nice place to be for Glacier viewing, or a walk, pea soup, and smaller crowds on viewing days.

Our Cabin – Cat DD – is in a good location for both the ride and access to key areas.

Sanitation – the constant awareness for clean hands.

Taking your own wine onboard and to dinner!!!

Other thoughts

The Loft – HAL really needs to make this a brighter and more inviting “teen” room on this ship. We called it the mushroom hole. Still, my Son did have fun with the activities.

Cabin Steward – he tried – but he was in training or on his way out and not always cleaning what needed to be cleaned.

Balcony vs. Outside Cabin - We had a balcony before and loved it. This cruise we had an outside cabin. Did we miss the balcony? Not really. On key viewing times, you spend more time on deck.

Open Seating vs. Fixed Seating – we had open seating and it worked out fine. Would maybe do fixed seating next time to get that “get to know your table partners” feeling.

Mini –Bar – requested 3 times to clear out – never happened.

The Lido food – food was OK but it just didn’t do much for me. Kids liked it but we all still preferred the dining room.

JuneauI was amazed at how much “the shopping” was promoted for Juneau as if you will get a great deal. Juneau has a lot to offer once you get yourself out of the diamond & watch traffic. Feels like a Caribbean port close to the ship. Guess it pays the bills. This was not the case in Sitka (had an Alaska feel) and only to some degree in Ketchikan.

Kids and HAL – There were a few “calculated and meant to be heard” conversations at times by a few who felt that it was inappropriate to bring children on the cruise. Nonetheless, this didn’t detour to my overall enjoyment or impression of the cruise. Each to his own, I guess. All the kids (200) onboard seemed well mannered and having loads of fun. The staff was great with all the kids and HAL was doing everything to promote a kid welcome environment. Good for HAL!

The worst part..

Last Day – It was hard packing on the last day and to get off the ms. Oosterdam.

We won't be returning to this line anytime soon.

Given the level of disappointment you expressed, I wouldn't return to HAL any time soon either.

I suppose I'm lucky in that I haven't experienced the level of displeasure that you express.

I hope you find another line that satisfies your expectations better, there are plenty of options.

We just returned from a VERY disappointing 8-day on the Oosterdam. I have read many of the comments about HAL and this ship, and I cannot say enough about how disappointed we are.

From numerous disappointing meals (the Pinnacle Grill should at least know how to cook a filet) to indifferent service to lack of on-board activities, to the Captain making up time by spinning around twice at Hubbard glacier and high-tailing it to Sitka, we were shocked at how devoid of anything special this HAL cruise was. We won't be returning to this line anytime soon. The only thing that saved this cruise for us was the absolute beauty of Alaska (which HAL had nothing to do with).

So sorry you did not enjoy your cruise. The Oosterdam is one of my favorite ships.

I have had the PG Filet Mignon and it was so tender I didn't even realize until I was about halfway through the steak that I had actually forgotten to plop my "choppers" into my mouth prior to leaving my cabin. So as I say, a very tender steak, ". . . and tasty, too."

Little confused about the "8" day cruise on Oosterdam since HAL's schedule for Oosterdam only includes "7" day cruises out of Seattle

But hey, that's small potatoes!

Yep, but it depends on how you count, you leave in the evening on one day and return in the morning on the "8th" day. The actual "elapsed time" is slightly more than the nominal "7 day" cruise if I counted correctly. :confused: There are 7 nights, no argument. :) :)

I like small potatoes, especially newly dug red ones. ;)

So sorry you did not enjoy your cruise. The Oosterdam is one of my favorite ships.

I have had the PG Filet Mignon and it was so tender I didn't even realize until I was about halfway through the steak that I had actually forgotten to plop my "choppers" into my mouth prior to leaving my cabin. So as I say, a very tender steak, ". . . and tasty, too."

Man oh man, here I thought for a Hollywood minute that you had forgotten to plop your "coppers" into your mouth:eek:

Yep, but it depends on how you count, you leave in the evening on one day and return in the morning on the "8th" day. The actual "elapsed time" is slightly more than the nominal "7 day" cruise if I counted correctly. :confused: There are 7 nights, no argument. :) :)

I like small potatoes, especially newly dug red ones. ;)

Okidoki, it's all becoming crystal clear to me now!

I just took a back to back,and only got 7 days each way. Does that mean Hal owes me 2 days?

No, unfortunately in your case, you already 'fessed up to the compensation you received, and there is a permanent record here. Did you read the fine print? :D

Man oh man, here I thought for a Hollywood minute that you had forgotten to plop your "coppers" into your mouth:eek:

I keep my coppers in the drawer next to the bed. It's only kinky the first time. :D

Disappointing meals and spinning twice at Hubbard??? Wow....We must have been napping during the almost 3 hours and numerous spins and we missed the bad meals. Must have been the good wine. Something fishy here.:cool:

I just took a back to back,and only got 7 days each way. Does that mean Hal owes me 2 days?

No I think HAL owes you at least treble damages :rolleyes: , 6 days bare minimum, but aim for 7 days ! ;) :D

Why is it that these kinds of posts virtually always come from people with 1 or 2 posts to their name? Is that a little strange, or am I missing something? :confused:

Probably, I miss a lot. ;)

But most of what I miss has no significance, so it's easily dismissed. :o

• Administrators

I'm sorry to hear that. As others have posted, at least some of your fellow passengers feel differently, but that doesn't invalidate your feelings/experience. However, the lack of specifics and examples in your brief post here tends to have that effect.

In any event, I wish you happy sailings on whatever line you sail next. For us, HAL was the most "luxe" line we've sailed, and we could truly see/appreciate that during our cruise (we sail for itinerary and price, so every line is always in the running for our vacation dollars). Still, I'm sorry you didn't have a positive experience like we did. I hope you find a line that satisfies you and your family.

Why is it that these kinds of posts virtually always come from people with 1 or 2 posts to their name? Is that a little strange, or am I missing something? :confused:
The OP's only other post was back in Jan when he joined CC and posted on his Roll Call. There he says he is "new to HAL but not new to cruising". I think reading all of the praise for Oosterdam just got his expectations too high.

I wish the OP would return and say a bit more about his dissatisfaction. A little more clarity would be nice, however it often seems that negative things are posted and the OP never returns. It does sound but I would like to know why he/she feels that way.

The OP's only other post was back in Jan when he joined CC and posted on his Roll Call. There he says he is "new to HAL but not new to cruising". I think reading all of the praise for Oosterdam just got his expectations too high.

Could be. But where does the responsibility end for buying into the (perhaps) exagerated praise? And why lay that problem at the feet of those here? Without a statement from the poster, any speculative explanation of behavior is valid.

Archived