Stay Safe Galveston!

SoonerOne

They won't leave a ship docked in the path of a storm. They could have left early - many ships have been known to do that.

By the time the storm was even a minor factor in Galveston the Ecstasy was about 200 nautical miles out to sea... The seas were typically less than five feet. She was sailing in great conditions...

:)

This is true...my SIL is in the Navy and when a storm looks like it's going to hit their port, they get the heck out. It does a lot of damage to a ship being docked and getting slammed by a hurricane. :eek:

Not only damage to the ship, but also the piers!

• 1 month later...
Thanks Sooner One;

Worried more about storm surge than wind or rain.

Boarded up our 1860 home - yep, long time hurricane survivor, and will head for Houston early in the morning.

Power will probably be out, but hope to return to the island on Sunday.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Hope Galveston Cruiser goes farther inland than Houston!!!

There may not be a port anymore or hotels or beachfront homes in Galveston after this one -- hope I'm wrong! But the storm surge may be disasterous!

G hasn't had a bad one in 101 years but don't ever ever think it will not happen again -- just a matter of time!

On ALL coastlines around Gulf & Atlantic, just too much building that is too close to water & not elevated enough. States & cities not creating strict enough regs on coastline building!!! These regs not up to feds. But after destruction, then they want the handouts from feds.....OK, I'll get off the soapbox....

People, just evacuate & take your precious possessions!

I have family in Orange and in Baytown. My sister and the kids headed north but my BIL stayed in Baytown. I'm most worried about him. My parents are in Orange and won't leave. They went thru Rita so they feel they can make it through anything. :confused:

Local ABC news station in Houston reporting that Galveston cruise terminal is already flooded. Found a blurb about this via some Ike threads in on abc13.com.

Please know that I am not trying to fan the flames of dispair... just pointing out what has been reported specific to the cruise industry itself. Prayers go out to all those affected along the Gulf Coast.

Joe

Archived