Tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy before cruise?!?!

BonnieVA

Well, my son had the surgery yesterday and is doing great! He had tonsils, adenoids, and tubes put in his ears! He was quite groggy yesterday, but was able to sleep well last night and is much better today! It is hard for him to swallow, but he is managing soft foods and plenty of Popsicles!!! I would believe that he could cruise ten days out from the surgery easily!! I know each case is different but we will see!

Oh, thanks for keeping us updated. I'm glad he's well so far. He did better than my other son on his 1st day - he was groggy & was vomiting(luckily he was in the hospital when that happened). But I can't remember how he was AFTER the 1st day!! Keep us posted & I wish for the best for your little boy!

Hi I work in the O.R. and do these types of surgeries all the time when is your sailing date? You should speak to the Doc and ask him what he thinks about the saildate. It isen't often that we get a "bringback" but it can and does happen. I hope this helps you.

In case anyone is curious, we went ahead & had the surgery done yesterday. The conversation in late July w/ our pediatrician is what convinced me. So far, so good...

He came through w/ flying colors. It's been 27 hours & he's doing super well. He's been drinking plenty of fluids & eating a bit too. Once the anesthesia wore off late yesterday afternoon he was almost back to his usual self. In fact, I had to dive in & pull out pieces of nacho chip from his mouth yesterday. I thought we had made it clear to him that he was only to eat soft foods so we had the chips out for the other boys. He & I were the only ones in the room & I heard a crunch! I caught him just before swallowing, pulling several pieces out!! He hasn't had any pain meds - he says his throat doesn't hurt. I'm keeping the pain meds on the counter just in case things start hurting over the next few days.

He slept so peacefully last night. How wonderful to look in on your little boy & see him breathing normally & not seeing his chest & abdomen retracting terribly as he had tried to take every breath beforehand. We noticed even before he woke from the anesthesia that he was sleeping quietly & peacefully.

And what's amazing is that I couldn't have cared less about the upcoming cruise! All I wanted was for my son to be better & come out safely from the surgery.

Well it has been about ten days from my sons surgery and I would say he is his old self with some improvements!!! He sleeps all night without snoring and the apnea, his voice is no longer congested sounded, and he can hear much better from the tubes! He startt Kindergarten on Monday! If he can start Kindergarten on Monday after about 13 days, I bet you can go cruising! It is a pleasure to see your kids doing better and I am soo glad to hear that your son is on the road to recovery!:D

• 3 weeks later...

My last update...

We returned home this AM from our vacation & all I can say is that I am SO glad we went ahead w/ the surgery. My son had intermittent jaw pain up through the 2nd day of the cruise but was fine after that. And the peaceful sleeping was so wonderful!!

Thanks to all of you who offered your own experiences & suggestions.

BonnieVA,

I am glas that everything worked out!

Thanks. I did see your original post w/ your recommendation (I got the email before you edited, I guess). I know the thread is long so you probably didn't get a chance to read all the posts until after you posted (I often just go ahead & post on long threads w/out reading them through). I did talk w/ our pediatrician & he strongly recommended going ahead w/ the surgery. That's what convinced me to go ahead. The scheduler at the ENT's office is also the office nurse so she does have a knowledge of the procedure & potential complications. It was a hard decision to make &, in the end, all was well.

Archived