Royal Carribean vs. Princess

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise on the Diamond Princess. Loved it and think we'd like to take a family cruise vacation in the future (it was just the two of us in Alaska). We live near Port Canaveral in FL and looks like we could get a good deal on the Monarch out of there. Cheaper than Disney and looks to be a little more to our liking. We are not Disney nuts so a whole cruise of all Disney looks like overkill for our family. Also, they have connecting rooms which is important to us with little ones. My question - for those of you who've cruised both Princess and RC, what are the differences. I'm sure each cruise line has it's strengths and weaknesses. Since we just got off a Princess cruise, that's kind of our point of comparison.

Diamond Princess is one of P's largest and newer ships.

Monarch is the smallest and almost oldest of RC's ships. (and by the time she is in PC, she WILL be the oldest ship in the fleet)

You can compare cruise lines, but these two ships are just NOT comparable.

I love the Monarch, and think that your family would enjoy a quick family getaway on her, but that's all she does: 3 and 4 day sailings to the Bahamas.

There is a thread, All Things Monarch. Check it out. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=638129

I recommend the Voyager-class ships for your first RCCL cruise w/family. Lots to see and do on board for adults and kids. We have cruised on a variety of Princess and RCCL ships and in my opinion, RCCL Voyager-class ships just can't be beat.

RCI and Princess as cruise lines are very similar, but you have to compare ships that are the same size/vintage to get a fair comparison.

If you loved the Diamond Princess (we do), you might like either a Voyager/Freedom class or a Radiance class (I think the kids would prefer Voyager as there's more to do on those ships, but I adore the Radiance class and for 2 people I would pick one of those). Monarch is a great way to get away for a few days and have a really fun time, but she doesn't have a lot of the amenities you find on the newer vessels.

I would recommend that you drive down the FLL or Miami - it's not that bad of a drive IMHO (it took us just over 2 hours in March with I-95 all torn up) and sail on one of the bigger ships. Freedom class are like super-Voyagers, with the added fun of a Flowrider surf simulator.

Voyager class ships are Explorer, Mariner, Adventure, Voyager and Navigator.

Freedom Class are Freedom, Liberty and Independence

Radiance class are Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade & Jewel.

Have fun researching!:)

I have been on one RCI cruise and doing another next month. I have also been on Princess this past May. I found both to be VERY similar and would go on EITHER ship again! I LOVED the MUTS on Princess for my kids (my 4 y/o did dead mans float in the pool and watched the entire Bee Movie.. HE LOVED IT!). I would pick itinerary over ship because I thought they were both great. Loved the food on both, the entertainment on both. I liked the rooms a bit better on Princess only because our RCI ship was older, room was smaller.

I too have been on both RCCL and Princess.. I too like them both. What I love about Princess that Royal doesn't have is afternoon tea. I know this sounds crazy and I'm only 31, but I loved it. I also thought the food was a bit better on Princess.. What I love about Royal is that they seem to have more activities, especially for children and the age on Royal is a bit younger than Princess.. Now I have to add that Princess my Princess cruise was 11 days, so I know that had something to do with age.. Either way I will sail them both again and again...

My parents have done numerous trips with both and enjoy them as thier favorite two cruise lines. I've done a few different lines and RC is by far my favorite. After hearing my parents talk about how much they also like Princess and said I'd just have to see for myself. I just recently booked on the new Ruby Princess for 10 days.

....although I'm trying to sneak in another RC cruise between now and then;)

If it's even close to RC, I'm sure I wil be pleased. You just can't go wrong with RC.

-Lorax

we were lucky enough to cruise both rci and princess last year and would sail on either one again. we actually liked the ship - mariner of the seas - better than the princess, but the lines are very similar........the food was much, much better on princess, but the coffee is much, much better on rci. i think rci is more 'kid' oriented. our boys had no end of activities and wanted to move onto the ship. you may want to compare ports also......we had a great time doing eastern carib......rented jetski's at st. maarten, which our boys voted best port activity ever. also, mariner sails out of port canaveral, perhaps another plus for you. we found the cabins to be very comparable both in size and amenities.

can't imagine not having a good time no matter which one comes out on top for you.....:D

We are Elite with Princess and Diamond with RCI and have often enjoyed both lines (on both within the past year). The quality of both lines seems to be up and down like a yo-yo and even varies among their ships. However, based on our last few crusies we think Princess has become a better overall cruise line in terms of food, service, and even entertainment (although the Tango show on RCI is the best). Of course this could change overnight. By the way, I just saw today that RCI has decided to reduce its land-based employees by 400 persons in order to boost its bottom line (wonder what that will do to customer service). We have also noticed cut-backs on RCI cruises in the areas of cabin stewards (stewards now have more cabins assigned), reductions in the food budget (lobster has disappeared from some cruises....large shrimp is a rarity....etc), have been told (by a senior crew member) that there have been major reductions in the entertainment budget, etc. Its a tough time for the cruise industry with high fuel prices, a slow down in the economy, and expansion in the fleet. We just hope that RCI can maintain some quality and weather the storm.

Hank

There is more for the kids to do on a Voyager or Freedom class ship on RCI. Both Princess and RCI are pretty similar for older adults. Both lines are terrific and have their own significant strengths. You can't go wrong on either cruise line.

It's a cruise...enjoy!

I've been on the Crown Princess and Mariner OTS and absolutly loved both...they were my favorite cruises so far. I enjoyed RCCL a bit more simply because I liked the ship more. I found the food on both to be quite good with Princess a little above RCCL, but I thought that the entertainment on the Mariner was much better than the Crown. I would cruise either line again without hesitation.

Having said that, I don't think that I would choose a sovereign-class ship with as high expectations as the Diamond Princess.....you will probably be dissapointed. But this is true with the older/smaller ships of any cruise line.

Archived