Lisbon Information

Does Lisbon have one of those small trains that are for seeing highlights of the city? I notice a lot of the cities in Europe have them.

Also, any recommendations for good restaurants for dinner that are reasonable in price? (I don't eat seafood).

Thanks

There is a hop-on hop-off (HOHO) bus. A more scenic way to see the old part of Lisbon is by taking one of the old trams. One route (#28 tram, I think) goes through the Alfama neighborhood, which is very hilly and scenic. The castle is at the top of the hill and Se Cathedral is about halfway up.

Althought I didn't use it, I believe there is a mini-train that goes through the Belem district, which is fairly close to where most ships dock. In Belem is the famous tower (right on the water), the monastery of Jeromino, and the monument of the Discoveries.

There are a lot of restaurants and clubs around the Alcantara area (near the waterfront). If you get a cab there, you can walk around and I'm sure you'd find something you like. The dinner hour is very late there, so if you go early it may seem quiet.

Depending on how long you're in Lisbon, you might want to buy the Lisboa Card. It gives free or discounted entry to practically every site in the city, PLUS unlimited free rides on ALL metro, trams, and elevators (and you really want to ride up the Santa Justa Elevador, at least once!). I bought a 24-hour card at the tourist desk in the airport and pounded the Lisbon pavement, and really got my money's worth out of it--it was especially handy to know that I could just jump on and off that wonderful tram #28 that the previous poster mentioned, and take the mini-train #15 to Belem and back. Otherwise, I think that a regular ticket cost 1,30 Euro one way--that really adds up, and you'd better have some change handy in your pocket to buy your ticket, too!

Carris - which runs public transit and the HOHO bus, also has guided city tours using the trams. If you buy a ticket for the tram tour, the same ticket is good for public transit that day.

Archived