Crusing with a one year old on Oosterdam.

goldie888

On my other cruises, I have seen a lot of young children with their parents.

I would love to hear from you if you had any experience cruising with babies.

There are five of us to look after my niece. So I don't think we need a babysitter too often. What about food for the baby? Do the children program start with such a young age?

We cruised last Christmas with our then 10 month old daughter on Royal Carribean. We are crusing again this Chrsitmas with her (she will be 21 months) on Holland America. Last year we took our own diapers, powdered formula and baby food. Luckily this year she is on table food so only have to take diapers. Holland America will provide diapers and baby food and you can pre-order the items, but it is very expensive. They are not allowed in Club Hal until I believe they are 3 and also won't be allowed in the swimming pools until they are potty trained. We had no problems cruising with our daughter last year and she had a great time. They do offer babysitting. They ask a crew member if they want to earn extra money. I believe it is $10 per hour on Holland America. We had no problems last year getting someone to babysit. If you want to do tours it is cheaper to hire a babysitter in most cases than to pay for an extra ticket for the child. Also, I would recommend you ask your pediatrician for an antibiotic to take in case your child gets sick. They can write the order for it not to be mixed. Then the pharmacy gives you the powdered antibiotic and instructions on how to mix it with distilled water if needed. That way the antibiotic doesn't go bad if not used and doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Thanks Awol,

I will pass the information to my sister. The antibotic idea is very good.

Why do you have to pay for baby food when the child pay almost as much as a third adult to be there?

When I was on the NCL Crown, there were a 4 year old on her 6th cruise.

I think she will have more than 30 cruises under her belt before she turns 21.

Her Mom said they cruise at least twice a year. That is just so cool!

We cruised on the Oosterdam 8/21-8/28/04 (Alaska, inside passage) with our 3- and 5-year olds and had a great time. HA's children's program, 'Club HAL', currently covers kids from 5-17 years old or less than 5 with an parent/guardian present at all times. So, we could leave our older son or have one of us adults with our 3-year-old son if we wanted him to also enjoy Club HAL. All HA ships are being retrofitted over a 2-3 year period to handle children as young as 3. The Oosterdam and other new, Vista-class ships won't be done until 2006. Babysitting on Holland America is based on availability of staff. On our cruise, there were only about 40-50 children for 1800 total passengers, but sometimes there was a wait to confirm babysitting availability. I recommend choosing what times/days you might need a babysitter ahead of time and then putting in your request on day one at the front desk as soon as you board. The babysitting charge on the Oosterdam was $8/hour for the first child and $5/hour for each additional child (i.e., $13/hour for our two sons). We used a babysitter in two ways--to watch our kids during non Club HAL hours (e.g., after 10pm any night my wife and I wanted to go out and have a nice evening or when we wanted to dine at the Pinnacle Grill without them) as well as when we wanted the babysitter to be with our younger son at Club HAL while we were enjoying any of the many activities on board. By the way, you can't leave your children with a babysitter on board (all babysitting is only on board) and then be off the ship for any reason. You must be on board when your children are being babysat.

By the way, we loved the Oosterdam and are sailing her again 4/2-4/9/05 on the Mexican Riviera!

Bon Voyage!

Hope this was helpful...

GS

OH NO!!!! AWOL mentioned that babies are not allowed in the pool until they are potty trained? Is this 100% true? Even with swim diapers? My daughter loves to swim and at 13 months can even swim underwater to the wall when I am there.

I know that some public pools have swim times for babies in diapers, but they increase the chlorine greatly, and schedule the times carefully. The ship dare not risk pollution. The swim diapers have been known to leak if the child has a digestive upset, which is more likely when the child is traveling. E coli is a life threatening bacteria. I wouldn't risk exposing my child to it.

OH NO!!!! AWOL mentioned that babies are not allowed in the pool until they are potty trained? Is this 100% true? Even with swim diapers? My daughter loves to swim and at 13 months can even swim underwater to the wall when I am there.

No swimming, even in swim diapers. Kids are supposed to be potty trained before they allow them pool access.

It is for hygenic reasons (Norwalk virus) and is probably a good rule, IMO.

Now, I have heard some folks allow their children in the pool in swim diapers, but I think you will find the majority of pax get upset by this.

Great news! My TA just called HAL up at the phone.....babies CAN swim in the public pools just as long as they have their special swim diapers on. Thank God! I'm leaving in 4 days and my baby loves to swim....we go swimming at home all the time!

Great news! My TA just called HAL up at the phone.....babies CAN swim in the public pools just as long as they have their special swim diapers on. Thank God! I'm leaving in 4 days and my baby loves to swim....we go swimming at home all the time!

I think your TA has incorrect information... but, in addition to upsetting your fellow pax - I'd urge you to re-think this.

I sure hate to stir up trouble, but I'm concerned enough about pools. If I see a baby of 1 in the pool ... swim diapers or no ... I will not get in that pool. I, too, have heard about leaking swim diapers and I simply would not take the risk.

I'm hoping that flgirl's info is incorrect and that HAL does not allow this.

No swimming, even in swim diapers. Kids are supposed to be potty trained before they allow them pool access.

It is for hygenic reasons (Norwalk virus) and is probably a good rule, IMO.

Now, I have heard some folks allow their children in the pool in swim diapers, but I think you will find the majority of pax get upset by this.

I find this topic very interesting. My children grew up in the FLorida Keys and were in the ocean at 2 months of age. Also in the pool. Not one of them ever "pooped" in the ocean or the pool. I would bet that babies behinds are a lot cleaner than some of the adult behinds in the pool.....after all they get thoroughly cleaned at each changing. I would also bet that older children and yes, even some adults are more guilty of peeing in the pool than babies are. I don't recall my babies peeing in the bathtub either. I would hope that if a child did have a gastrointestinal upset the parents would have enough common sense not to have them in the pool...........but, then again. From what I understand these swim diapers are very good at containing any "accidents". THey are made specifically for that purpose.:)

Amen Nautical.

Obviously these people don't live down here! Norwalk virus? E coli? Never happens down here in our pools. But hotels and individuals that own pools down here are meticulous with their chemicals. Maybe some of you possibly don't don't swim in places that keep the waters chlorinated....or..... perhaps don't like kids.

Like any other fine hotel, a cruise ship has people to maintain the chemicals to avoid those pesky dirty passengers that don't clean up well ;)

And frankly I don't care if pax give me dirty looks. Swim diapers seem to be good enough at the Amangani, Four Season and the Ritz Carlton. I'm hoping that HAL keeps their pools maintained as well.

I agree, as well, with Flgirl & Nautical Wheeler. Swim diapers are made to hold stuff in but most of the the time they are not even needed. Most of the day my baby's bum is clean as a whistle compared to most adults I am sure. Do you germaphobes get "baby wiped" 5+ times a day? Hmm..maybe so if you are this concerned about the pool. :D

And if you think that there are no adults doing gross things in the pool - WITHOUT swim diapers you are kidding yourselves.

If we keep on this discussion no one will ever go in the pool again.

Amen Nautical.

Obviously these people don't live down here! Norwalk virus? E coli? Never happens down here in our pools. But hotels and individuals that own pools down here are meticulous with their chemicals. Maybe some of you possibly don't don't swim in places that keep the waters chlorinated....or..... perhaps don't like kids.

Like any other fine hotel, a cruise ship has people to maintain the chemicals to avoid those pesky dirty passengers that don't clean up well ;)

And frankly I don't care if pax give me dirty looks. Swim diapers seem to be good enough at the Amangani, Four Season and the Ritz Carlton. I'm hoping that HAL keeps their pools maintained as well.

I guess you haven't seen the problems with Norwalk on many cruise ships (not just HAL) in the news recently (throughout the past year)... it may not be pax giving you dirty looks, but cruise staff telling you no. I don't think anyone is trying to be "anti-kid" - I have kids myself, but I do recall seeing a posted sign on the Maasdam last spring that said "no diapers of ANY kind".

"Adult" babies who have one too many beverages or older passengers with bladder control issues are sure to contribute much more "spice" to the pools than a baby in a rubber sealed swim diaper IMO. It really comes down to common sense decency. If you think your kid will leak you should keep them out of the pool, just as if you're drunk in the pool and need to pee you should get your lazy butt out of the pool and into a restroom.

But aren't there designated "kiddie pools" on HAL ships?

Have some respect for the other passengers! If you feel that strongly about having your baby swim, perhaps you should stick to your hotels......

Wow, I just cannot get over how rude some of you are! And I was raving about the civility of this board vs other boards to others.

I just got off the phone and spoke directly with HAL's Ship Services at the Seattle Headquarters. They state that the child MUST be wearing swim diapers in the pool and told me to quote them if I have any problems on board. Swim diapers are not diapers so I can see why you all may be getting confused with diapers. They will be sending this via email so I can print this and take this with me.

Have some respect for the other passengers! If you feel that strongly about having your baby swim, perhaps you should stick to your hotels......

Great contribution. You could use the same small minded logic the other way - if you don't like kids in the pool don't cruise - stay home.

"Adult" babies who have one too many beverages or older passengers with bladder control issues are sure to contribute much more "spice" to the pools than a baby in a rubber sealed swim diaper IMO.

One problem with this logic. While in grad school I had a job doing microscopic urinalysis for a hospital lab. Normal urine is sterile, if you have bacteria in your urine you are too sick to be swimming or cruising for that matter. Feces, however, are virtual bacterial breeding grounds, and I haven't yet seen the swim diaper that is capable of filtering bacteria. Of course your baby's bottom is cleaned after each use, but what the other passengers are concerned about is what goes on under that diaper while the baby is in the pool.

Wow, I just cannot get over how rude some of you are! And I was raving about the civility of this board vs other boards to others.

I just got off the phone and spoke directly with HAL's Ship Services at the Seattle Headquarters. They state that the child MUST be wearing swim diapers in the pool and told me to quote them if I have any problems on board. Swim diapers are not diapers so I can see why you all may be getting confused with diapers. They will be sending this via email so I can print this and take this with me.

Flgirl,

Do you mind forwarding that information to me when you get it from HAL? We are traveling with out 18 month old in december on Oosterdam and I would like to have that info handy if we run into any problems.

Thanks

I believe I heard somewhere that what makes swim diapers different is that they are made so they don't disintegrate so quickly when soaked, as regular disposable diapers are designed to do when they are flushed. That wouldn't necessarily ensure that they also have the ability keep everything in (in fact, one imagines cutting off the circulation in the baby's leg to achieve that), especially when feces are "loose," which is often the case with babies.

So, when Norwalk and other viruses and bacteria are so easily spread on ships, IMO it seems more considerate to follow the guide-lines indicated by the crew (the signs) and keep babies in diapers out of the pool--just as it is considerate to wash your hands frequently and shower before using the pool yourself.

CL

To jump back to the original topic... I would suggest bringing a baby food grinder to avoid having to lug baby food. They could provide some plain foods without salt and low fat if you notify the cruiseline in advance of the special diet needs. I was one of those mom's who rarely bought the stuff in the jar. If the baby is prepared before sailing for this type of texture (it's not as runny for some foods such as green beans), this may work out for the family.

To repsond to flgirl. I don't think anyone was rude. It's just that you may not be able to relate to what people are saying. I realize it's hard to understand others who don't have small babies. There is nothing wrong with us.. Many of us have had multiple kids. I've seen those swimdiapers let loose before in public pools and it's ICK in my opinion. If the rules state you can bring your child in - well, I guess you can and nobody can stop you. But try to be considerate of others if you are making them uncomfortable.

Have you bothered to give any thought or consideration to the other 2000 people on board who will also be looking to use the pool?

The folks on this board are not "being rude", merely concerned. However, the attitude I am seeing is that it is all about me, me, me - with little care or respect for anyone else, even if you disagree with them.

I am not trying to be rude or flame you - so I hope you will reconsider. We saw a family put a small inflatable wading pool on the deck on the Maasdam for their child - the staff and crew were very accomodating to making sure the little pool was filled and the baby had shade. This may not be the best solution as far as you are concerned; I understand that your child likes to swim - but concern of the pax ONBOARD each particular voyage will preempt anything you may receive from HAL's Ship Services.

Archived