drive to Fort Lauderdale and leave our car?

Has anyone recently driven to FL and left your car at the hotel? We are on a 4 night cruise in December and are driving from VA. (I know we are crazy.) We have always stayed at Embassy Suites pre-cruise and have a reservation but I am not getting a definitive answer from anyone there about leaving the car during the cruise. We have always flown down for previous cruises. They say we can but...just a little ambiguous for me. We will be staying in FL for an additional 4 nights when we return at the Courtyard Marriott but parking is expensive there so someone please tell me my options. Should we just park at the port? Is it secure there? That way our car is right there when we disembark.

I'm in the same predictament. We drive from SE Alabama. Last year we left from Miami and I found a great deal with LaQuinta and you could park for no charge and they provided free shuttle to port. Leaving out of Fort Lauderdale is a whole totally different bird. I spent hours last night trying to find places. Most tell me no on site parking. I did find Ramada Inn, Airport/Cruiseport for $90/night and you can leave car there for $10/day. I checked it out through Expedia and it doesn't look bad. I'll have to go back in and check Marriott.

I also am beginning to think we may just drive part way on the 14 spend night around Fort Pierce, FL and then drive a few hours to port. I found parking of course at Port for $15/day..also found parking with United Airport Parking which is located 1 mile from Port and they provide free shuttle to and from port. Their rates for us being on 8 day cruise is $57.60 for uncovered parking and $70.40 for covered parking. Really considering this opinion.

Hope this helps.

The LaQuinta Inn & Suites in Hollywood and the Hampton Inn & Suites in Plantation will let you leave your car at their hotel, shuttle you to the port and throw in a free breakfast as well. Your on your own getting back to the hotel after the cruise.

Parking at Port Everglades is one of the safest places in South Florida to leave your car. Access to the port is via entry points manned by the Sheriffs Department. If you don't have a legitimate reason to be at the port, you aren't getting in. The indoor parking garages are patrolled 24/7 by the Sheriffs department as well as port security guards. The garages themselves have restricted access/egress points. Security is very tight at the port.

Chances are if you leave your car at the Ramada it won't be there (or parts of it) when you return. It's not the best part of town. ;)

Archived