Bar Harbor or St. John for trip inland to see fall colors mid October?

We’d like to try and maximize our chances of seeing the fall colors. If they are not in full color on the coast, I thought we might take a trip inland to peep. Does anyone know which of these two ports would be the best one to do this? Are there mountain ranges close by?...thinking that might be our best chance. Does anyone know if there will be cabs available at the dock we can hire for the day, or should we book a private tour in advance? Please let me know your experience if you have done this before, if you have any recommendations, and how much I should be prepared to spend for four people. We will be in port 11 hours each day. Thanks in advance for your help!!

We took a ships tour to Acadia National Park out of Bar Harbor beginning of October and there was some color. Rented a car in Saint Johns New Brunswick and drove out into the countryside, and again saw some color.

The farther North we cruised, the better the colors were, until we reached Quebec, and the foliage there and along the St. Lawrence was just magnificent. Our photos look like post cards. It was truly amazing.

I am thinking that you may be better off in Saint John. I am from there. It may be running a little late for colour, but the farther north you are the better. No mountain ranges, but a drive up the Saint John river would be beautiful. Make sure you take the scenic route though, otherwise though the colours would be pretty, it would be just boring 4 lane highway. That being said the Bar Harbour area is beautiful. Perhaps someone closer to there could give you a better idea of the timetable.

I will be in St John on 29th October, 2009 for my 60th birthday. We are cruising from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale. There are 6 of us. Any suggestions to make my day memorable?:)

Usually full color is by the middle of October (Columbus Day weekend most times is peak leaf peeping) ... It should be very pretty in Acadia on the island (Bar Harbor) ... you'd have to go too many miles in land to get to the mountain ranges. Jan

It really depends on when in October you are sailing. Like others have said-mid October is USUALLY the prime time for foliage. If you decide to do something in Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park, I'd recommend getting to the top of Cadillac Mtn. The views of the ocean are spectacular on 1 side, and while not large by mountain standards, you will have nice views of mountains in Acadia as well. You can get more info. on Acadia here: http://www.nps.gov/acad/

We spend a week hiking in Acadia every summer. If you have specific questions about the park, I'd be happy to answer them.

Sue - Just a piece of trivia ... Cadilac mountain became a mountain when they added extra rocks to the top to get the height needed to be clled a mountain ... gotta love Mainers (orthe US park service)

Check out this website http://www.acadiamagic.com/welcome.html

To all.... enjoy .... Jan

I LOVE IT! LOL

When we go up in a few weeks I'll have to quiz my kids to see if they know it, maybe offer a prize to who figures it out first. The poor park rangers will be swarmed, LOL.

Acadia is our absolute favorite place on earth in summer. The hikes are relatively easy, although I'll never do the precipice or beehive again-too scary for me:eek:. I think some of my kids' happiest childhood memories will be of our annual camping trips to Acadia...

There is one area that is not open for hiking this year.

:"The climbing routes of Otter Cliffs, previously known as The Black Crack, Riptide and Razor Crack, will be closed until further notice. People caught climbing on the closed rock face are subject to citation or arrest." (from the Bangor Daily News A 15,000 pound piece of granite broke away from the cliff.

Other trivia for your kids ... the fire of 1947 (my FIL fought the fire as a forestry student at the local University) changed the town and forests. Original "people from away" were called "rusticators". Lobster was considered poor peoples food (the avability of airplanes to get them to market changed the lowly lobster forever). There is still a law on Maine books that says that prisoners may not be forced to eat lobster more than twice per week.

I have a million others, if you kids are interested. Jan

Cadilac mountain became a mountain when they added extra rocks to the top to get the height needed to be clled a mountain ... gotta love Mainers (orthe US park service)

That is so funny!!! All credit to the ingenuity though.

FYI -- Princess just announced a change in the times for this port for sailings in 2008. The times in Saint John are now 10:00am-6:00pm. Important information to keep in mind if you plan private tours or renting a car.

FYI -- Princess just announced a change in the times for this port for sailings in 2008. The times in Saint John are now 10:00am-6:00pm. Important information to keep in mind if you plan private tours or renting a car.

What cruise are you talking about? We are on the CP 12th Oct.

Ok just checked web site are time changed to 7:00am to 4:00pm.

Please remeber that the time is Atlantic time zone. DH is from Maine and when we would cross the border to St Stephen NB the time would go up a hour.

I think the best leaf pepping is on MT Washington in NH. To bad they are not on the coast.. Now i will be sad that we just sold our house in Maine.

But you are going to have a nice time up there.Also weather can be on the cool side at night.

We’d like to try and maximize our chances of seeing the fall colors. If they are not in full color on the coast, I thought we might take a trip inland to peep. Does anyone know which of these two ports would be the best one to do this? Are there mountain ranges close by?...thinking that might be our best chance. Does anyone know if there will be cabs available at the dock we can hire for the day, or should we book a private tour in advance? Please let me know your experience if you have done this before, if you have any recommendations, and how much I should be prepared to spend for four people. We will be in port 11 hours each day. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Hi here is a web site for Bar Harbor on prices. This can give you a idea on what to bring for spending money.

http://www.barharbormaine.com/home.html

Here is one for St John New Brunswick

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=1

I know in St Stephen they will discount us funds. I am sure they do that as well in St John.

Here is another site and you can get a free coupon book. And any questions you may have they will be able to answer for you.

http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/

Archived