Staffing levels reported by Cruise Critic

As I am booked on Norwegian Dream in August, I am concerned by some of the negative reviews. I am also curious about the crew/passenger ratio reported by Cruise Critic in its Review of Dream. They indicated 483 crew to 1754 passengers (that's the figure for double occipancy - if triples and quads are fully utilized, the passenger number would be 2000 or more).

At 483 to 1754, there would be less than .3 crew per passenger, compared with an industry norm of .4 or better. That .1 difference applied to 1754 passengers means an understaffing of at least 175; which would go a long way towards explaining reports of unsatisfactory service.

I have asked both Crtuise Critic and NCL for verification of Cruise Critic's figures, but have not received a reply. If anyone has reasonably verifiable figures, either proving or disproving, I would appreciate your posting your sources.

IF that number is correct, it seems like a very bad crew/passenger ratio.

I just read an article yesterday that said Veendam (June, 2008) had 556 crew for 1,200 (+ /- ) guests.

IF that number is correct, it seems like a very bad crew/passenger ratio.

I just read an article yesterday that said Veendam (June, 2008) had 556 crew for 1,200 (+ /- ) guests.

556 crew for 1200 passengers gives a ratio of .46 crew per passenger.

Using Cruise Critic's figures, the following crew-per-passenger ratios appear:

Island Princess .45

MSC Lirica .46

RC Freedom of the Sea .37

Carnival Victory .39

Costa Atlantica .34

Celebrity Century .47

Queen Elizabeth 2 .51

Norwegian Dream .49

One variable is that, since bridge and engine room crew are likely to be comparable regardless of passenger load (that is one reason why lines are moving to ever larger ships), the ration of crew to passenger sholud be higher on ships carrying 2000 or fewer passengers than those carrying 3000 plus.

Interesting question. NCL lists the passenger capacity as 2159 (probably for triples included).... and a crew of 700.

On www.*****.com under ships/reviews it says 1748 for passenger size with a crew of 700.

If NCL's figure of 700 crew and 2159 passengers is correct, the ratio would be .34 -- .1 below Maasdam.

My concern is, that with Dream going out of service this Fall, they might be simply letting the crew shrink through attrition - just not replacing members as contracts expire.

Archived