Excursion to St. John's, which one is the best?

My fiance and I want to take an excursion to St. John's on our wedding cruise, but we're not sure which one to take and which one will be worth our money. My future inlaws already pre-reserved for the St. John's island tour, but we're not sure if we should do this. Opinions and any words of advice are appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I'm more of a person who would like to spend time on the water. Has anyone taken the island tour? Is it any good? My thinking is that we'll spend enough time on beaches and on the water during the cruise, but I just don't want to miss out on hitting an awesome beach for an annoying tour. Thoughts?

Well, I'm more of a person who would like to spend time on the water. Has anyone taken the island tour? Is it any good? My thinking is that we'll spend enough time on beaches and on the water during the cruise, but I just don't want to miss out on hitting an awesome beach if the tour isn't that great. Thoughts?

My fiance and I want to take an excursion to St. John's on our wedding cruise, but we're not sure which one to take and which one will be worth our money. My future inlaws already pre-reserved for the St. John's island tour, but we're not sure if we should do this. Opinions and any words of advice are appreciated. Thanks.

Ahh, the in-laws... Welcome to the Institution... of marriage... ;)

Google St. Johns beaches, there are some good reviews. The Virgin Islands are goregeous particularly St. Johns. There are some nice views to be had from elevations, but really... a tour with the in-laws... ain't that what the rest of your life is going to be...

Trunk Bay is highly visited for good reason, as is Cinnamon beach; there are secluded beaches too. If you're OK with independant travel and a few cabs. Dump the in-laws and take the public ferry over to St. Johns on your own...

There's a ferry from Charlotte Amalie and several from Red Hook on St. Thomas - you cab it to and from the ferry. Don't miss the ship or you'll NEVER live it down! :D

Have a great trip either way!

Ahh, the in-laws... Welcome to the Institution... of marriage... ;)

Google St. Johns beaches, there are some good reviews. The Virgin Islands are goregeous particularly St. Johns. There are some nice views to be had from elevations, but really... a tour with the in-laws... ain't that what the rest of your life is going to be...

Trunk Bay is highly visited for good reason, as is Cinnamon beach; there are secluded beaches too. If you're OK with independant travel and a few cabs. Dump the in-laws and take the public ferry over to St. Johns on your own...

There's a ferry from Charlotte Amalie and several from Red Hook on St. Thomas - you cab it to and from the ferry. Don't miss the ship or you'll NEVER live it down! :D

Have a great trip either way!

You have a point there! My future mother in law can be a little pushy and my fiance being a good son usually caves. Let's hope he'll be as good at being my husband as he is her son.

If you have never been there, I would vote for spending time on either a catamaran/snorkle trip or taking a beach excursion.

I'm not a big "tool around the island in a van" person, so that's my bias, even though I have been there.

Really, St. John is a place where you are not going to go wrong!

I have been to Trunk Bay on an excursion. It was one of my favorite trips. We took a catameran to Trunk Bay and the boat docked a few hundred feet from shore. This was so people could go snorkling. They also had a motorized boat taking others back and forth to the beach. My brother had the genius idea of jumping of the catameran and swimming to the beach, so I of course joined him. We had the best time!!! The beach was lovely and on the way back to the ship, we were served the endless rum punch and partied on the catameran.. You can't go wrong..

I have been on Holland Am.'s St. John's tour. It made want to do another visit to that island as the glimpses I saw were wonderful. First the tour pick us up with a boat near the dock. It took quite awhile to get to the island. Those who went on their own to Red Hook spent quite a bit oftime in heavy traffic in Ch.Am. At the island we hopped on to an open bus; proceeded for a short while to bathrooms and of course, gift shops. We eventually got back on and headed uphill. There were many trees and just quick stops for small views of the bays. I think it was Caneel Bay Resort that we stopped at for an hour. Near the bus was a store, a restaurant and gift shop or you could walk down a driveway, quite aways down to see the water. I think we did three gift shops stops. So all in all, we spent more time on the boat and looking at trees. Now for senior citizens this was an easy trip. P.S. there was quite a few of this little buses and we had to line up for our turn at the vistas. St. Tom lets too many cruise boats dock per day.

On our last Caribbean cruise we did the full day catamaran sail to St. Johns (the one that included lunch). It was a wonderful day-you sail over to St. Johns on a huge catamaran, anchor at a lovely beach (actually right off the beach) and then you have lunch, spend some time and can snorkel, swim, relax, etc. Drinks (all types) were served throughout and the crew was wonderfully accomodating.

However, if you are prone to seasickness this might not be the tour for you-sailing between St. Thomas and St. Johns was bumpy and a couple of men got seasick. Not a pretty sight!

Archived