Seasickness

All this discussion about so-called "seasickness" is just nonsense.. This is a psychosomatic phenomenon that will affect people that choose to be affected. Don't waste your time and/or money trying to deal with or medicate this so-called malady.

Trust me, after 24 years on sailing ships, I have never been 'sea-sick', but I have seen all things associated with this, including people that started throwing up just thinking about being on a ship!

Now tell me that's not all in your head! ;)

Thats just not true. As I said before, I had been on 3 previous cruises and thought I was one of the lucky ones that never got sick. The last cruise I was not so lucky. It is a very unpleasant experience, and no more "just in the mind" than morning sickness, which I was told by many people was also 'just in my mind'. That is obviously said by someone who has never experienced it themselves. You are lucky, and I hope you never do. But it is very real.

It is a problem generally attributed to disturbance in the balance system of the inner ear (vestibular) system. Your sensory perception gets out of synch as these nerve fibers attempt to compensate for the unfamiliar motion of the ship moving through water.

All this discussion about so-called "seasickness" is just nonsense.. This is a psychosomatic phenomenon that will affect people that choose to be affected. Don't waste your time and/or money trying to deal with or medicate this so-called malady.

Trust me, after 24 years on sailing ships, I have never been 'sea-sick', but I have seen all things associated with this, including people that started throwing up just thinking about being on a ship!

So not true! Anyone who thinks that seasickness is all in your head or that you "talk yourself into being sick" should experience it just once! You are just one of the lucky ones who does not get sick. Be very thankful!

I take Bonamine - I think it's the same as Bonine, but you could ask for it under this name, too. I have to get it over the counter, but it doesn't require a prescription. I even get motion sickness when driving, so if it works for me, I think it would help anyone!

Another recommendation - STAY HYDRATED! I spent two days sick as a dog, and thought it was seasickness, but I realized it was sun stroke. Drink lots of water, and don't overdo it!

I thought people never got seasick on cruise ships but reading these boards it seems that it does happen!

Do you take any meds with you in case the seas are rough? What is the best way of dealing with it - lying down in the cabin or sitting out on the deck?

Well, by "reading these boards" you'd see that there are many, many threads about this subject on a regular basis!

Why in the world would people think that just because a ship is bigger than a rowboat that there's not going to be any motion? It's still just a tiny speck out there on a very large body of water.

I told myself to write up my anti-seasick regimen in Word so I can just copy and paste, because I've posted about it SO many times.

Short version: have suffered from motion sickness my entire life (so bad that I have to drive; can't stand being a passenger even on the interstate); had mild to moderate naseau on 4 of 5 cruises, taking Dramamine. Never missed a meal, though! Stayed out on deck as much as possible. Booked inside, lower cabins.

After discovering Cruise Critic, I read about ginger capsules. Before cruising last December, I started ginger morning & evening, the morning prior to the cruise (flew that night). Added Bonine (took 1/2 tablet morning & night) starting the morning we sailed.

Had absolutely NO problems, depsite there being comments from tabelmates about the extent of the motion. I never even noticed the motion, let alone have any naseau.

I cannot express how delighted I am with the results. Naseau is such a horrible feeling. To be able to do anything I wanted, eat anything I wanted, consume alcohol (moderately), and never feel even the slightest bit of movement was absolutely wonderful. And I also suffered no mal de debarquement symptoms, either.

Seriously, if you've never had motion sickness, you don't understand what it's like. To have apparently cured it simply by taking a capsule twice a day is just miraculous!

Take Ginger capsules! They work!

I will have to get my wife the ginger capsuls. She has had problems both of our prior cruises althought I think she waited until she felt sick to start taking meds. I will encourage her to start early this time.

Why do you enjoy stirring things up? That is just about the most idiotic post I have ever seen. What you wrote is out and out totally untrue and scientifically wrong. It is not psychosomatic. I'd love to put you through the training astronauts go through or on a fighter jet with a pilot that could show you what real motion is, and see just how much of your lunch you lose. Just because YOU have never been sea sick doesn't mean other's haven't. I really hope your next cruise is the one for you to find your motion because need a humbling experience. Are you truly that egotistical to think that just because you've cruised 24 years, that everyone is like you? I guess the thousands of people who get sea sick every year on cruises just need to think differently huh? Geez, you are the one full of nonsense.

As I stated above, my DH who is a US Navy Captain, and has a lot of cruises under his belt in all kinds of seas, on smaller ships than most cruise on, has seen even the most hardened sailor get sick when he hit "his" motion.

My biggest issue with seasickness on the ship is when I'm in bed. (boy I had to reword that several times :eek: ). I'm a stomach sleeper and I can feel the movement when I'm trying to sleep than any other time. It took me 4 cruises until I finally realized that 1/2 of a tablet of Bonnie in the morning worked fine for me. 1/2 a tab again right before bed did the trick as well. I wasn't drowsey nor did I have that dry cotton mouth that tends to come after taking Bonnie. My youngest son (20) had real issues with Bonnie this time and being drowsey. After a few days on the ship he stopped taking it. He never had issues with it in the past though. My oldest son has Tourette's and if seasickness was all in your head believe me there is no way he'd ever be able to set foot on a ship or boat of any kind. The power of suggestion is magnified for him. He is fine on the ships and takes Bonnie.

Just refilled my perscription for Meclizine 25mg. I have been taking these since a bad case of vertigo on a plane landing. I take then whenever I fly and on every cruise. When filling This last perscription the druggest told me they are now only getting the chewable tablets. I'm sure you can swallow them as the others ,but they are now in chewable form. I usually start the day before the cruise,and take 1 per day .

I have been reading all your suggestions for sea sickness. We are going on our first cruise in a few weeks and I am starting to panic about all this. I have bought the sea bands for all of us, as well as 'ginger root' tablets. Just wondering, is this the right stuff? I never hear anyone say 'ginger root' but when I went to Wal-Mart, this is what they gave me.

Please tell me if I need to get something else.

I have been reading all your suggestions for sea sickness. We are going on our first cruise in a few weeks and I am starting to panic about all this. I have bought the sea bands for all of us, as well as 'ginger root' tablets. Just wondering, is this the right stuff? I never hear anyone say 'ginger root' but when I went to Wal-Mart, this is what they gave me.

I have never used the sea bands, I am only used to the Meclizine tablets.If you need any they are available in the ships infirmry . They were always free when I sailed.

My ENT gave me the answer to seasickness. He gives me 1mg of Valium 3x/day. It is such a low dose that I do not feel it. If I start feeling sick, I can take an extra dose. I also take bonine as needed. I get car sick, air sick and seasick, and this has been a miracle cure for me. Valium works on the vestibular system of the ear.

I'm pretty sure it's "less" drowsy, not "non" drowsy. It still makes me slightly sleepy. Of course, all the sun, drinks, activity, and food would make me sleepy, too, so it's hard to tell what's causing it. I'm sure it varies a lot from person to person. I split the dose and take 1/2 am and 1/2 pm.

Re: sea bands - please visit this website which shows exactly how to determine the correct placement. 99% of the people I've seen wearing them on board have had them in the wrong place.

http://www.homebackpainacupressure.com/acupressure-for-sea-sickness.html

Ginger root capsules are what I take also. I think you have the right thing. I have also read that you can eat ginger candy or gingersnap cookies but I have never tried that.

Enjoy your cruise!

OK...Could someone clear this up for me? Meclizine and bonine are the same right? But there is a non-drowsy formula? I took 25 mg of meclizine every night and it made me SLEEPY the next day! Where would I find the non-drowsy formula?

Meclizine

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

220px-Meclizine.svg.pngMeclizine

Systematic (IUPAC) name1-[(4-chlorophenyl)- phenyl-methyl]-4- [(3-methylphenyl)methyl]piperazineIdentifiersCAS number569-65-3ATC codeA04AB04 R06AE05PubChem4034DrugBankAPRD00354Chemical dataFormulaC25H27ClN2 Mol. mass390.948 g/molPharmacokinetic dataBioavailability ?Metabolism ?Half life6 hoursExcretion ?Therapeutic considerationsPregnancy cat.B(US)

Legal statusRoutesOralMeclizine (proposed INN is meclozine) is an antihistamine considered to be an antiemetic. It is sold over the counter under the brand names of Bonine, Antivert and Postafen and is most commonly used to inhibit nausea and vomiting. An alternative to dimenhydrinate (Dramamine), meclizine is considered to be equally effective, but with reduced side effects.

Contents

[hide]

• <LI class=toclevel-1>
1 Uses
  • <LI class=toclevel-2>
1.1 Motion sickness
1.2 Vertigo

<LI class=toclevel-1>2 Risks of use

• <LI class=toclevel-2>
2.1 Drowsiness
2.2 Anticholinergics

[*]3 External links

//

[edit] Uses

[edit] Motion sickness

Meclizine is effective in inhibiting the symptoms of motion sickness, such as nausea, vomiting, and dizziness.

[edit] Vertigo

Meclizine may be effective in relieving vertigo experienced as a result of inner ear infections or other conditions.

[edit] Risks of use

[edit] Drowsiness

Drowsiness may result as a side effect of taking meclizine. While the effects are less than dimenhydrinate, users are advised not to operate heavy machinery while under the influence. The consumption of alcohol while under the influence of meclizine may result in additional drowsiness.

[edit] Anticholinergics

Due to its possible anticholinergic action, meclizine should be used carefully with patients who suffer from asthma, glaucoma, or an enlarged prostate gland.

I borrowed some Seabands from a friend on my last cruise and it made a huge difference! I also wore them for about 16 weeks during my pregnancy to help with morning sickness. It certainly didn't cure the morning sickness, but did make things a little easier.

Just the thought of taking ginger pills or candy makes me sick to my stomach, so it certainly wouldn't work for me. ;)

Kebhouse, not sure why thinking about taking ginger would upset your stomach. Seabands didn't work for me. Ginger settles your stomach and you won't even notice it. I take it occasionally when I have minior indigestion and it helps with that too. The capsules are gel and you don't taste anything.

Re: sea bands - please visit this website which shows exactly how to determine the correct placement. 99% of the people I've seen wearing them on board have had them in the wrong place.

http://www.homebackpainacupressure.com/acupressure-for-sea-sickness.html

Thank you for this -- I have printed it out and will definately take it with us --

• 1 month later...

ok so im digging this topic up again, i went on one cruise and took dramamine every day had no issues, wasnt drowsy wasnt sick nothing. second cruise, took it again- couldnt keep my eyes open during the day, and when i could keep them open i was miserably sick :( so this time around im going to try the ginger pills and the bonine, which is less drowsy than the dramamine, and from reading, i just want to make sure i read it right, i can take 1/2 the bonine pill in the morning and 1/2 at night? what about the ginger pills? just 1 a day? or 2? im just excited to try anything that may work this time around! thanks for your help guys

Just got off the Conquest (Hurricane Ike) cruise and the only day that the seas were severely high were on Tuesday. I had been taking ginger pills, was wearing the patch but forgot to take the pills (feeling great) and took the patch off that morning. I got seasick that day but started the ginger pills again the next morning and felt awesome the rest of the cruise. It was my fault for believing I was fine and that the medication wasn't the reason. If you are afraid of seasickness.... wear the patch, take ginger pills. The seabands were too tight for my wrists so I didn't wear them. Take every precaution and when you get cocky and think you are feeling great.....keep taking the medicine. That's why you're feeling great. Unfortunately Tuesday was the night my husband and I had reservations for the Supper Club. Everything was wonderful but I was sick. We should have rescheduled our reservation. Live and Learn. I will never cruise again without my Ginger pills and ear patch.

ok so im digging this topic up again, i went on one cruise and took dramamine every day had no issues, wasnt drowsy wasnt sick nothing. second cruise, took it again- couldnt keep my eyes open during the day, and when i could keep them open i was miserably sick :( so this time around im going to try the ginger pills and the bonine, which is less drowsy than the dramamine, and from reading, i just want to make sure i read it right, i can take 1/2 the bonine pill in the morning and 1/2 at night? what about the ginger pills? just 1 a day? or 2? im just excited to try anything that may work this time around! thanks for your help guys

I take 2 ginger capsules a day and also Less drowsy Dramamine twice/day. Ginger doesn't really have a "dosage" or side effects.

I for one, will never use the patch. I know too many people who have had issues with it. Less drowsy Dramamine/Bonine have no side effects for me (or most people) and work great.

I took Ginger Root capsules (1) at breakfast and (1) at supper and only took the Bonine at bedtime on rough sea nights.

We also found the wrist bands to be very tight, however my son who suffers severe motion sickness, wore them on days that were rolling seas.

I'm hooked on the Ginger Root capsules for the day and Bonine for the night. I did try the Bonine the day before we got on the ship to see how it affected me and bam..... I couldn't function! Sleepy and lethargic but they worked great for bedtime!

I just posted this on another thread, but my mom's Dr won't let her take any of the types of Bonine (and others) because of medication she is on. The Dr. said it was the patch or nothing. She would not even approve ginger. So, other than blurry vision and dry mouth what other side effects could she have from the patch? I will buy her some sea bands also.

Thanks

That's really surprising that she can't take Bonine, which is otc and has almost no side effects but can use the patch which is prescription and has several. She wouldn't approve ginger? I've heard of a couple of reasons people can't use ginger-allergies for one and I seem to remember something about blood related issues.

I hated sea bands. I was using them correctly, but all they did was make my wrist sore.

Archived