Tauck BUD to AMS September 2009

ddschur

:D Just booked a Tauck River Cruise for next year.

Would like to start this thread and hear from any Tauck experienced cruiser re experiences, suggestions re tours, etc., etc., etc.

Are planning to arrive BUD a day or two early and stay in AMS a day or two later...again, same questions as above.

Very excited and looking forward to the trip and thanks in advance for any thoughts, etc. :)

Walt

Hi Walt,

We did AMS to BUD last June with Amadeus. However, I have traveled with Tauck on several other land tours. They are top notch! Everything is top shelf with them. I'm sure you will not be disappointed. We did happen upon a couple of their ships as we passed by. They looked beautiful!

Do you have a place to stay in Amsterdam? A guide? We stayed at Banks Mansion right around the corner from the flower market. Great location, clean beautiful old hotel. Used to be a bank. Right on a canal. Price for us included full breakfast, open bar. They arranged a van for us to go from the hotel to ship which was very reasonable. Very willing to please.

We arrived a day early and hired a private guide for a walking tour. He met us at the hotel lobby and off we went for about 4 hours. We left it up to him where to go and the six of us had a great time. Nice and personal. He dropped us off at Anne Frank's home which was so so crowded we didn't want in line to get in.

We love Amsterdam and hope to be back some day.

Nancy

Nancy,

Thanks for the info.

As to accommodations, I plan to use Marriott Points for the 2 nights we plan to extend in Amsterdam.

The walking tour sounds nice...any recommendations?

Thanks to all who commented!

I feel more and more comfortable that we made the correct choice for the type of travel that we enjoy.

Any other thoughts or insights will always be welcome!

Again, thanks to all.

We stayed at the Marriott in Amsterdam this past Apr. It is a great hotel and very convenient. The tram/streetcar is right across the street, it is within walking distance of many things and the Marriott staff is very helpful and pleasant. This was our 2nd stay with them and we were very pleased.

If you like Italian food there is a great neighborhood Italian rest. that the concierge recommended to us . It is just out the Main door of the hotel to the left and about 2 blocks up the street on the left hand side of the street. I am sorry that I can't remember the name of it. I am sure the concierge can tell you since he is the one who recommended it. It is not an Italian name but something like the name of Dorothy's dog in the Wizard of Oz. Hope that helps!

micked10

Nancy,

Thanks for the info.

As to accommodations, I plan to use Marriott Points for the 2 nights we plan to extend in Amsterdam.

The walking tour sounds nice...any recommendations?

\

Unfortunately, I am unable to remember his name. He was recommended by someone on these boards. I know his name came from Rick Steve's book, if that helps.

We used Senior Holland Travel - not cheap but it was a decent tour.

Others in our group used Ab Walet from the Steve's Guide and felt he was very good - more of a walking tour and much less $$ then the $399 Euro's we paid for Sr. Holland (which was walking and auto for 4 persons)

I tried a Google for Ab but did not come up with anything if you are not able to get the info from Rick Steve's travel guide let me know and I'll ask the gal who booked him

We used Senior Holland Travel - not cheap but it was a decent tour.

Others in our group used Ab Walet from the Steve's Guide and felt he was very good - more of a walking tour and much less $$ then the $399 Euro's we paid for Sr. Holland (which was walking and auto for 4 persons)

I tried a Google for Ab but did not come up with anything if you are not able to get the info from Rick Steve's travel guide let me know and I'll ask the gal who booked him

That's IT!! Thanks for jogging my memory. I had his address as: abwalet@yahoo.com

Hope this helps. He was inexpensive and we would recommend him highly. Very nice, and we all loved the walk. We felt we really got a real feel for Amsterdam.

Hope it works out for you.

Archived