A little off the subject...Is anyone out there from Savannah??

luvmygirlz

We are planning a long weekend there in a couple of weeks. If you are familiar with the area would you mind answering a couple of questions?

It will be my husband, myself, and 2 daughters (10 & 13). What is there to do? My girls would like to do a ghost tour, but I want it to be more fun and not so scary. Any suggestions? What else would be fun?

Thank you!

The ghost tour should be fine for your girls (not too scary). I've heard that the walking tour is better than the horse drawn carriage one that we took. There is also a riverboat cruise, shopping (on River street and in town), make sure you visit the candy shoppes - lots of "retro" candy!

If you like Greek food, we recommend the restaurant on River Street - Olympia.

Sol y Mar

We are planning a long weekend there in a couple of weeks. If you are familiar with the area would you mind answering a couple of questions?

It will be my husband, myself, and 2 daughters (10 & 13). What is there to do? My girls would like to do a ghost tour, but I want it to be more fun and not so scary. Any suggestions? What else would be fun?

Thank you!

Hi there, I live in Savannah.

Take the girls to Tybee Island to the beach. We do have waves, so bring boogie boards (or get them here at walmart - cheap) At tybee, you can do dolphin excursions to parasailing.....

River street is cool to walk around and check out the booths and shops. Beware, they do have webkins and Ty girls! -

Take the trolly tour - where you can learn about the city and get on and off when you like. www.trolleytours.com We also have the horse carriage tours also.

Ghost tour is ok if you are into that. We have never been cause my kids arent interesed. I do hear its not scary.

Eat at Loves. They filmed some of "Forest Gump" there. Its a great seafood place on Hwy 17. http://www.savannahga.net/dining/lovesseafood.html

Museum if you are into that http://www.telfair.org/

And of course, Paul Dean's resturant http://www.ladyandsons.com/

I know, its sounds weird but go to Keller's flee market. There you will find a little of everything. From $600 dogs to $1 stuff - some old, some new http://www.kellersfleamarket.com/

and right down from kellers is a good outlet mall. Let me know if you need directions.

So much to do, Im not sure what you are into but since you girls, we also have 2 malls:)

Oh, you must go visit Paula Dean's place...yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to visit Sav. just for Paula Dean!!!:D

I second the Lady & Sons restaurant!! We lived in Savannah for 2 years while my hubby finished college, got married and had our first son there. The town holds a lot of good memories for me. :)

Take the girls to Tybee Island to the beach. We do have waves, so bring boogie boards (or get them here at walmart - cheap) At tybee, you can do dolphin excursions to parasailing.....

River street is cool to walk around and check out the booths and shops. Beware, they do have webkins and Ty girls! -

Take the trolly tour - where you can learn about the city and get on and off when you like. www.trolleytours.com We also have the horse carriage tours also.

Ghost tour is ok if you are into that. We have never been cause my kids arent interesed. I do hear its not scary.

Eat at Loves. They filmed some of "Forest Gump" there. Its a great seafood place on Hwy 17. http://www.savannahga.net/dining/lovesseafood.html

I know, its sounds weird but go to Keller's flee market. There you will find a little of everything. From $600 dogs to $1 stuff - some old, some new http://www.kellersfleamarket.com/

and right down from kellers is a good outlet mall. Let me know if you need directions.

So much to do, Im not sure what you are into but since you girls, we also have 2 malls:)

WOW!! Thanks for all the input!! We are definitely going to try to go to the Lady and Sons. My girls love watching her on TV. It sounds like the ghost tours won't be too bad. We will also probably go over to the beach some too. We live in Florida so we get to see lots of the beach, but it is always fun. I just love the history and hopefully the girls will enjoy it. At least if they don't enjoy it now, one day they will look back and say "Oh, I remember seeing that" Beccadoby.....We are staying at the Oglethorpe Inn and Suites. Do you know anything about this hotel? I know it is not a star, but the reviews I saw were decent. They say they are not far from the historic district. Is the hotel in a decent part of town?

Thanks again to all!

Michell

Be prepared, we love Paula Dean's but we had to line up at 9AM for lunch reservations:confused:

I drive past her restaurant weekly for work and if you SERIOUSLY want to eat there, you really need to have someone in line very early for the lunch seating.

Personally there are too many other great restaurants in town to waste that much time for Paula's Place.;)

Bill

Thanks, but if we do nothing at all, that is all the girls are talking about doing.

But, just in case we can't get in.........

Any recommendations? Me and my youngest daughter are not much for seafood, but my husband and oldest love it.

Do they not take reservations anymore? :confused: If you do decide that you're not going to brave the line to sit down inside to have lunch, you can always pick up some mixes to take home with you. I've bought the ho cake mix to send to friends and they were well received. I'm not sure what else they sell but there are other items to take home and make.

Oglethorpe Inn is at least 5 miles from River Street. Doesn't sound far, but it's a good 15 minute drive with traffic. Also, if memory serves, Oglethorpe is right next to Hunter Air force Base. You can usually see some air force jets and such landing very close to the ground right over the top of you! Scary and exciting all at once. There are tons of parks and squares in Savannah, each one with something unique about it. Take your camera and take lots of fashion photos with your girls in each square. They'll love it. Also, there is almost always something cool going on in the big park there. We arrived one weekend to find them doing chalk sidewalk drawings throughout the park. Incredible! Check out the Visitors center to see what's lined up.

I drive past her restaurant weekly for work and if you SERIOUSLY want to eat there, you really need to have someone in line very early for the lunch seating.

Personally there are too many other great restaurants in town to waste that much time for Paula's Place.;)

Bill

agreed....there are so many fine restaurants, they just don't make tv

Another big time Savannah fan here.

I have never been to the L&S but want to in the future, do you have to stand in the long line if you have reservations?

Doesn't her brother Bubba have a BBQ joint or something?

We've done the ghost tours, trolley tour, Telfair museum, the Juliette Lowe home, river st (of course) and done some nighclubbing there, too (not advice for the OP of course, but for others that may be reading)...great nightlife...a GREAT drag show at Club One, partying at Hip Huggers was another good time. I even found a latin club in the area but it was closed last time I visited. I've also visited Tybee Island, a very nice beach.

I have to try Kellers Market! I love flea markets!

You should go to the Visitors Center for an overview, and nearby is th Roundhouse Museum, if anyone is into trains. If you like military history, there is the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum in Pooler, just a couple of exits up I-95 in Pooler. Oh, and it is Hunter Army Airfield...Stopped being an Air Force base more than 30 years ago...I like to go down to River Street and take the faux riverboat trip when I am in serious need of a cruise fix...EM

But, it is P-A-U-L-A!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just love her!:D

Me too.

Unfortunately, she is living the Hollywood life.

I'd be curious how many days a year she actually gets back to Savannah anymore, with her plethora of Food Network shows and all of her other appearances.

Bill

Me too.

Unfortunately, she is living the Hollywood life.

I'd be curious how many days a year she actually gets back to Savannah anymore, with her plethora of Food Network shows and all of her other appearances.

Bill

I hear you....but, still....:p

I second the recomendation for Love's Seafood and for Keller's Fleas market. (We lived in Savannah for 9 years.)

My favorite downtown restaurant is the Pink House.

When we go back to visit, we like to stay at the DeSoto Hilton rather than one of the newer (less character) or more expensive places on the river. it's a few blocks away from River Street (still within walking distance).

Something I recommend to Savannah visitors is to visit the houses of worship, particularly the Catholic Cathedral, the Jewish Temple, and the First African Baptist Church. All have guided tours and usually parishioners/congregants are on hand to share the architectural features of the buildings and historical origins of their faith.

Oh, and it is Hunter Army Airfield...Stopped being an Air Force base more than 30 years ago...EM

Oops! My bad. In any event, they have some very large and loud airplanes, no matter which branch of the service they fly for. :)

Something I recommend to Savannah visitors is to visit the houses of worship, particularly the Catholic Cathedral, the Jewish Temple, and the First African Baptist Church. All have guided tours and usually parishioners/congregants are on hand to share the architectural features of the buildings and historical origins of their faith.

Good idea! We did a driving tour of Savannah and visited these houses of worship, it was fascinating, if you like that kind of historic stuff that I love!

WOW!! Thanks for all the input!! We are definitely going to try to go to the Lady and Sons. My girls love watching her on TV. It sounds like the ghost tours won't be too bad. We will also probably go over to the beach some too. We live in Florida so we get to see lots of the beach, but it is always fun. I just love the history and hopefully the girls will enjoy it. At least if they don't enjoy it now, one day they will look back and say "Oh, I remember seeing that" Beccadoby.....We are staying at the Oglethorpe Inn and Suites. Do you know anything about this hotel? I know it is not a star, but the reviews I saw were decent. They say they are not far from the historic district. Is the hotel in a decent part of town?

Thanks again to all!

Michell

I dont know anyone who has stayed at the Ogethorpe Innn and Suites. I do know the area it is in. It is I guess you would say in the middle of Savannah near one of our malls (Ogethorpe mall).

AS someone said, you are right there next to Hunter Army Airfeild but I wouldnt plan an excursion there. DH is active duty military and he is stationed there. I can say it is the most boring post we have ever been to. Thank goodness we bought a house offpost!:rolleyes: Not much flying over as someone stated. Even though Army, Marines, and even the coast guard is stationed there, its a VERY SMALL post. And so many are still overseas. You might get to see a helicopter doing a training mission flying overhead or a small plane but not much action at Hunter.

Most of the hotels will have a tour that can pick you up at the hotel if you want to do the siteseeing downtown. That way you will not need to drive and pay for parking. Some people really fuss about Savannah traffic. To me, its not bad at all. Parking can be a headache downtown.

About Loves, they also serve steak, hamburgers, alligator :eek: (seasonally)and other options than just seafood. I am a hot boiled shrimp girl.

some people were talking about Paula Dean, as her resturant is VERY popular, I guess she has lost some of her "zing" personally. Last year outside the mall, they had a huge tent set up for her book signing. She also got up with her son to do some "yapping" and answer questions. We were walking into the mall as it was going on and it had a VERY small turnout.

As far as your daughters going places and seeing/learning about new things:

We always travel and cruise with our 3 children (ages 7, 10, and 15). THey have been so many places and they do take it for granted that every kid doesnt get to see the places they have saw. Of course they are not completely into the culture but they DO remember when it comes up in conversation. My youngest even remembers when a sea gull pooped on my head in Spain. It might be the only thing she remembers but she DOES remember that!

I always tell people, I love to travel with my children. I want them to get in as much culture as they can. I homeschool my children, so what an expereince to be able to SHOW the kids what others are only reading about in textbooks. I guess you can say we have some awesome feild trips:D

So long story short, drag them along, they are actually getting something out of it. Or at least you will have the pictures ;)

Good luck and I know you will have fun! Let me know if you have more questions!

Archived