September Cruises

patrice1

Planning Alaska for our 20th. We're looking at September, primarily because we always cruise in the Fall and the prices are better. Can you still see whales that time of year? Is the weather awful? Does it fundamentally change the quality cruising that late in the season? Thanks.

The weather in Alaska this year is so odd: cold, rainy and nasty that there is no way to predict what will happen in future. I cruise late if I cruise to Alaska at all as I will only go if I get a true bargain.

I look forward to cold weather; so I am a poor judge for what you want.

Certainly you can still see whales in September. In September you are definitely heading into the wet & cooler season but that is not all bad unless you are a sun worshiper, it does make for a relaxing cruise. I would go as early as I could in September and you may just get a surprise

the whales don't start the migration until nearer november...even with that, there are some "resident" humpback that stay up there all year round. we had a nice whale watching tour in sept of '06, except for the sleet/rain...but we were dressed for it.

had day temps from high 40s to mid 60s...with the nicest day being glacier bay, beautiful sunshine to see beautiful views. just pack and prepare for rain, then be thrilled if you don't get it;)

I agree with Cathi, our first trip to Alaska was the first 2 weeks of Sept and we got lucky with great weather. It's not as crowded, we saw lots of animals in Denali and whales and bears in Juneau. It was supposed to be our one time trip...but we are going back again this September.

Summer is usually the best weather, but it seems more and more that you "pay your money and take your chances" when it comes to weather in Alaska.

After the first week of Sept, you have the greatest POTENTIAL for foul weather of the Alaska cruise season. In my opinion, the prices are not nearly as discounted as they used to be. (I went one time for $350 with the taxes :) )

Mid Sept it will be dusk by 7pm, so take that into plans. There have been some very nice sailing trips in this timeframe, but you would definately need to be well prepared for all the weather,then it wouldn't make that much difference what happens. :)

We went in June before and the weather was beautiful but we didn't see the Orcas. They were just starting to arrive,but we saw plenty of hump backs. We are going this time on the Sept 6th sailing out of Seattle and I am hoping to see orcas too. I recommend highly going out on a whale watching tour in Juneau. We saw sea lions, eagles, and many whales.

orca don't migrate to alaska, like the humpbacks do. orcas are not part of the regular alaska whale watching tour. if you do a search ,on this forum, you will find that seeing orcas, other then down near victoria /vancouver/ seattle, is considered rare. juneau whale watching is humpbacks, everyone gets excited (including the tour operators) is orcas are spotted.

one reason is the orcas move fast and cover a big area..

Archived