Just off Golden today. Willing to "try" to answer any questions.

2Oregonians

I'll post a review soon, but we just got off the Golden today. Got to know the ship really well and even scored a bridge tour. I'll try to help with any questions you might have.

How did you score a bridge tour?? :)

They stopped doing bridge tours after 9-11, and just started them again 2 years ago, according to Cheryl, the 2nd Officer on the Golden. She conducted our tour. What we did is wrote a letter at home addressed to Captain Nash, and my Dad signed it. My parents are Elite members with 18 cruises. They just said that in their 18 cruises, they had never visited the bridge and would sure love to this time, since they are cruising with their daughter (me) and son-in-law. I had read that tip somewhere here on cruise critic. We presented the letter to the Purser's desk immediately on boarding, and 2 days later we got an official invitation from the Captain's secretary. The visit was Friday (day before we disembarked) at 10:30 am. We were in transit from Tracy Arm to Victoria, BC. They were very nice and informative. Cheryl showed us all the instruments and whatnot, and answered any questions we had. They let my husband sit in the "big" chair, and we were allowed any pictures we wanted. Just no video. We were allowed to roam around at will, but there were 2 security officers who accompanied us. We were up there probably 20 minutes, but they weren't kicking us out, we were just ready to leave. It was very nice. They have an awesome view up there!

:confused: I was on the Oosterdam during the same week. We noticed that the Golden Princess was anchored out in Victoria and not letting anyone ashore. What was up? We heard it was Norovirus code red.

:confused: I was on the Oosterdam during the same week. We noticed that the Golden Princess was anchored out in Victoria and not letting anyone ashore. What was up? We heard it was Norovirus code red.

That's funny how rumors spread. Definitely NOT Norovirus scare. Princess' berth at Victoria is smaller and more difficult to get into, and our Captain made the decision not to attempt. He spoke to your Captain - not that it was the only factor that made his decision - but he spoke with him. Apparently it happens often with high winds in the harbor. Did it seem windy while you were there? Btw, I have many pictures of your departure and some while at various ports. We seemed to have almost the same itinerary. If you want them, let me know. If you have any of us and are willing to share, let me know.

In general how dressy was formal night?

Did you need a winter coat?

Thanks

You know what .... there were literally ALL kinds of dress for formal nights. There were women in gorgeous dresses that looked like they cost $1000, men in white tuxes, black tuxes, etc. Then there were some in dockers, tennis shoes, and a short-sleeved, button-up shirt with collar. On "smart casual" nights, we actually saw 2 families in sweats & t-shirts. So if you're wondering what to bring for formal night, I say don't sweat it. Just bring something you'd wear to a wedding, or to church, or to a fancy restaurant. For women, anything with sparkles or shimmer, and for men, a dark suit & tie. It all works and you definitely won't feel out of place. You'll feel middle of the road like we did.

As far as the coat - we're from Oregon, so we're a little more used to cool weather than some. Personally - I wore 2 long-sleeved shirts, a zip-up hoody, and a fleece-lined nylon coat. One of the long-sleeved shirts had a hood, as well as the hoody (obviously). I wore both hoods and that helped a lot. It was colder our week than it has been during the weeks prior, so whenever you go, you may not need all that. Good to have just in case though. It was cold in Juneau & Skagway, really cold in the fjord, and nice in Ketchikan, Victoria, and Seattle. Hope that helps.

Very interesting! There was no wind that I noticed either at the harbor or down town. We had a great evening in town being entertained by all the street entertainment and wandering around on the docks. I really can't think of any wind. But who knows, I am not a captain!

After we got back aboard, we asked our bartender what ship that was and why it wasn't running a tender service. He responded that you were under a code red and Canada will not let anyone ashore under a code red. He also said you were under a code yellow in Juneau. He said that normally you are parked right next to us in Victoria.

I will look through our pictures and will be happy to send any to you. BTW, we are from White Salmon, WA (across from Hood River). Where are you in Oregon?

Very interesting! There was no wind that I noticed either at the harbor or down town. We had a great evening in town being entertained by all the street entertainment and wandering around on the docks. I really can't think of any wind. But who knows, I am not a captain!

After we got back aboard, we asked our bartender what ship that was and why it wasn't running a tender service. He responded that you were under a code red and Canada will not let anyone ashore under a code red. He also said you were under a code yellow in Juneau. He said that normally you are parked right next to us in Victoria.

I will look through our pictures and will be happy to send any to you. BTW, we are from White Salmon, WA (across from Hood River). Where are you in Oregon?

We're from Oregon City.

I'm in the process of uploading my pics to shutterfly.com and will provide the link in this thread, as well as in my upcoming review of the cruise. If anyone from the Sapphire Princess is reading this... I have beautiful pictures of when you passed us in Tracy Arm Fjord. If you have some of the Golden, please let me know and we can swap info.

The yellow & red codes - if that's the truth, nobody on board ever heard about it. I heard of NOBODY who was sick. Usually that kind of news travels fast. No announcements even resembling that were made, nor was anything put in our "Princess Patter" daily paper. I think that was an assumption on your bartender's part. But you say it wasn't windy, and that makes me curious why Captain Nash chose not to dock. Hmmmm.

Hi 2Oregonians,

We just booked the Golden for our honeymoon in Hawaii (yea!), and I was wondering what the condition of the ship was? I had heard it was an older ship, but does it show its age, or does the crew keep it in good condition?? Any tips you might have about sailing on the Golden would be great, as this is our first time on Princess.

Thanks!

I'll be on the Golden in five weeks... I'm Elite as well (this will be cruise 20... yay) and I'm just curious if you noticed any differences in the internet packages. Some people have reported other ships including wireless minutes in the internet packages available. I haven't seen anything about it being included on the Golden...but I have my fingers crossed.

Hi 2Oregonians,

We just booked the Golden for our honeymoon in Hawaii (yea!), and I was wondering what the condition of the ship was? I had heard it was an older ship, but does it show its age, or does the crew keep it in good condition?? Any tips you might have about sailing on the Golden would be great, as this is our first time on Princess.

Thanks!

There were areas of wear such as salt damage outside on metal surfaces. Our carpet was faded, our padded thing on the balcony was faded, there are areas where there are so many coats of paint that it looks thick, things like that. The big picture is fine. It's nicely decorated and clean, but if you look closer, it isn't hard to detect her age. I didn't mind. It's a matter of opinion I guess. If you're picky about the small stuff, you'll notice it.

I'll be on the Golden in five weeks... I'm Elite as well (this will be cruise 20... yay) and I'm just curious if you noticed any differences in the internet packages. Some people have reported other ships including wireless minutes in the internet packages available. I haven't seen anything about it being included on the Golden...but I have my fingers crossed.

Not sure about the wireless thing. I saw a man in the internet cafe with his laptop, but I couldn't tell you if it's included in any packages. I'm sure someone else will chime in. I used my mom's card because she's elite. We got 150 min for $75, but the $75 was credited back on the folio. We used about 120 min throughout the week. It was nice being able to web surf without hurrying. I think I counted 15 monitors in the main area, which I found to be too warm, then on the last day I noticed that there were 2 or 3 others around a corner (if you go to the right as you enter the cafe) and it was cooler back there. They are next to the printer. Wish I'd known that at the beginning because it was always too warm for me in the main part of the room. Also, the person who is there to help you (employee guy) was very helpful. He would rush to anyone's station if they requested him, so it seems like he was well aware of the time clock ticking.

The Golden is an older ship....But, really well maintained. All the public areas are lovely. We've been on her twice and will be onboard to Hawaii, in November.

At first, when we were out on the Vista deck, on sailaway, I noticed that the railing was a bit "worn" and in need of varnish. T

Two days later, when I went out to the same railing, while we were in port, there were two men varnishing the railing.....Amazing...they see it, they know it needs repair and they take care of it!!!

If there's something you notice, while on board, tell the purser's (information) desk. They'll attend to it! They try to catch everything but can't see it all.

Please give us a more detailed reveiw when you have a chance!

That's funny how rumors spread. Definitely NOT Norovirus scare. Princess' berth at Victoria is smaller and more difficult to get into, and our Captain made the decision not to attempt. He spoke to your Captain - not that it was the only factor that made his decision - but he spoke with him. Apparently it happens often with high winds in the harbor. Did it seem windy while you were there? Btw, I have many pictures of your departure and some while at various ports. We seemed to have almost the same itinerary. If you want them, let me know. If you have any of us and are willing to share, let me know.

THANK YOU! You solved the mystery! It was driving us crazy! We were also on the Oosterdam and wondered the same thing! :)

I wondered if the ship was rocky leaving Seattle? I usually just take Bonnine but I thought that I might get the patch if will be rocky.

Thanks

Yes, very. I don't get the least bit seasick, but hubby does. He had to get up during the night and stand in the doorway to our balcony for over an hour. At that time also, he applied a patch, which he wore for about 2 1/2 days. He was fine, but he said there was always the underlying worry about becoming sick when we were out and about on the ship. I saw many, many patches behind the ear. It was almost comical.

Archived