Exotic Pineapple and Coconut cake

The last night of our recent cruise they were trying to get folks to buy a RCI cookbook, featuring the foods of the ship. I don't know if that recipe was in there, but I bet you can find that cookbook and check if you tried hard enough.

We just returned from 7 wonderful days on Liberty of the Seas and I had the best summer dessert which was the Exotic Pineapple and Coconut cake. Does anyone have the recipe for this?:confused:

Is the cake as delicious as its name makes it sound? :)

• 1 year later...

I had this on a recent cruise as well and loved it. My friend bought the cookbook and it is not in there : ( If anyone has the recipe, it would be greatly appreciated. It is a flourless pineapple and coconut cake served with low-fat pineapple sorbet. From the best I can remember, this is what it was like...It was a layered yellow cake with pineapple in it and frosting in between the layers? and had toasted coconut in it.

Yummy.:p..Hope this might be just the beginning of some new & improved desserts headed our way from RCI..Last few cruises I think the desserts have been pretty bland....:(

I had this on a recent cruise as well and loved it. My friend bought the cookbook and it is not in there : ( If anyone has the recipe, it would be greatly appreciated. It is a flourless pineapple and coconut cake served with low-fat pineapple sorbet. From the best I can remember, this is what it was like...It was a layered yellow cake with pineapple in it and frosting in between the layers? and had toasted coconut in it.

Wow! you resurrected a thread from 2008! :eek:

And Exotic Pineapple & Coconut cake sounds delish!

I done ran the google, and not sure if this is the same cake or not.

BUT it sounds like it would taste pretty good!

Coconut Cake with Pineapple Filling

The cake:

1 white or yellow cake mix (or use your favorite recipe for a 3 layer cake) plus the eggs, oil and water specified on the box

1 cup shredded coconut

The filling:

1 28-oz can crushed pineapple with the sweetened juice

1 Tbl cornstarch

Chantilly Swirl Frosting:

3 cups whipping cream

4 Tbl powdered sugar

1 tsp clear vanilla flavoring

Yellow food coloring

1/2 cup shredded coconut

Jellybeans (optional)

The cake:

Mix the cake according to the box directions. After it's mixed, stir in the shredded coconut. Now, instead of doing 2 layers you are going to bake 3 layers. Divide the cake batter evenly amongst 3 9-inch baking pans coated with baking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 17 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick. If no batter sticks to your pick, the cake is done. Cool the cakes and then remove from the pans.

Filling:

Put the crushed pineapple in a medium saucepan. Sift the cornstarch on top and stir constantly on Medium heat until the cornstarch is fully incorporated. Turn the temperature up and continue to stir until the mixture starts to boil and thicken. Turn off and cool the mixture.

Assembling the cake:

Put one layer of your cake on a cake pedestal or platter. Spread half of the pineapple mixture on top. Top with a second cake layer and the other half of the pineapple mixture. Then invert the last cake layer and put it on top (bottom up).

The Frosting:

Whip the cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla until fluffy and stiff. Place 5 or 6 small drops of yellow food coloring in your bowl, dotted across the frosting (not all in one place). Take your spatula and swirl the food coloring through the frosting. Don't mix too much or your frosting will turn completely yellow instead of having a yellow swirl. If you go too far and end up with yellow frosting, that's fine too. It will be pretty either way. Now frost the top and sides of the cake. This is very easy because this is such a forgiving frosting. Just spoon it on and swirl the cream with the back of your spoon. Sprinkle on the coconut. You can concentrate on just the top of the cake or you can use more coconut and cover the sides too. Place your jellybeans on top so they look like eggs hidden on the lawn and then chill the cake.

You can make the cake up to a day ahead. Just keep it in the refrigerator. Take the cake out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you want to serve it. It will still be cold but the chill will have reduced and the cake will taste richer.

Enjoy!

Archived