Passover/Easter April 5 cruise

av01bps

We were on the Summit for Easter a few years ago. There was a Sunrise service on deck, and also a Catholic Mass a little later.

The children also had an egg hunt and there were baskets of candy all around the ship.

Does anyone have experience on a Celebrity cruise with Passover and Easter> We celebrate both. Thanks all!

Amy

You and I are on the same cruise....I do not think they will do anything for Easter, as we disembark that day, but Passover will start on the 8th, from what I am told they usually hold something very nice in another restaurant with all the fixins, including a rabbi and haggadahs, etc....I am not sure though if we will attend, although I heard they go out of their way to make it nice, not sure how good the gefilte fish could actually be;)

I was on the Constellaton for the last Passover. You had to sign up for a very nice Passover dinner and a Rabbi presided over it all. It was in a large section of the casual dining area. They had all the Passover items. But since it was at 7:30 or so, we actually went to the regular dinner first.

How long was the seder- was it very conservative? We are not long seder people- bring on the fish, and matzo ball soup. Mmm.. I may have to start cooking soon.

Still it will be GREAT having someone else clean up all those dishes!

I am not sure though if we will attend, although I heard they go out of their way to make it nice, not sure how good the gefilte fish could actually be;)

Oh, there is nothing like freshly caught gefilte fish. :D

Twenty years ago when Sovereign was a brand new ship, we took a cruise that didn't get us home until the day of the 2nd seder. The experience on the ship was magical. The seder was very short, and it was during sunset that evening. They served a traditional meal - gefilte fish, soup with matza balls, brisket, etc. There were some children from Mexico on the ship with their parents. The children we all day school students. They did the Four Questions and led us in songs.

To be honest, I wouldn't do it again because I ended up feeling guilty about not having the first seder with family. We did call home from the ship (in those days it was $12.95 a minute!) to wish everyone a happy holiday. But that's my "schtick". YMMV

Is gefilte fish ever that good? As my boyfriend says, it is a holder for the horseradish :)

It really depends if it is the preserved kind in the jar, or if it is a fresh gefilte out of the ocean. I once hauled in a 32 pound gefilte (they put up quite a fight) and we filleted it and grilled it that same night. Very tasty; no horseradish needed! Just be careful when you take it off the line as they have very sharp teeth. :cool:

The service and dinner was not too long. 35 to 45 minutes until the main dinner was served. In addition to all the main Passover food, the main meal was Roasted Chicken (very good too), Flanken, and Salmon. They did run out of Matzo though. No seconds.

I make a yummy caramel chocolate Matzo. A short seder followed by traditional foods sounds fabulous. We'd love to meet Jews from other lands- we are from Michigan- and look forward to this evening!

Amy

• 6 months later...

Just wondering if american geflite fish is the same as british... and is it caught by rod and line or net??? ... its the little bit of carrot on the top that I'm concerned about ;)

Also, while we are on the subject, we will be on board for Rosh Hashanah this year ( the angst made us change cruises to be home for YK, however not quite enough angst to go at a different time....as its a "special" birthday trip).

Is anything arranged / provided ??

It really depends if it is the preserved kind in the jar, or if it is a fresh gefilte out of the ocean. I once hauled in a 32 pound gefilte (they put up quite a fight) and we filleted it and grilled it that same night. Very tasty; no horseradish needed! Just be careful when you take it off the line as they have very sharp teeth. :cool:

LOL!! I used to pull this one on my kids but unfortunately they're now too old to fall for it.

FYI: Gefilte fish is ground white fish. The actual species in a particular recipie is not usually specified. Slap enough horseradish on (I also like mayo) and it doesn't matter! :)

I was on the Mercury a couple of years ago that departed Baltimore on the first night of Passover. Easter that year was on the Sunday we were on the cruise. They had a rabbi, a Catholic priest and a protesatant minister on board who all conducted all services consistent with their faiths. The rabbi officiated at seders both nights as well as morning services every day. She used a conservative hagaddah for the seders which were geared to the mainly Conservative, Reformed, Reconstrutionist group. Celebrity provided a meal with all the trimmings for all who wanted it. It was all very nice given that there was a diversity of expectations within the "congregation."

When I booked restaurants via the celebrity call center, both of the agents I spoke to had no idea what Passover was- one did say "there's ALWAYS a Rabbi on the ship." Anyone else have ideas?

I would find the number to HQ in Miami~I am betting someone

in that office knows what Passover is......I will bet you a drink;)

Not Customer Service, but the HQ building down on

Caribbean Way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We were on the Constellation for both Passover and Easter in 2007.

The sedar was lovely, short and sweet. Our girls read the four questions and a Cantor led the service. I was so impressed how much effort the staff put into the sedar. Do not expect much of the food. The matza ball soup was so bad we laughed. But they tried so hard! The servers were interested in our tradition and could not have been nicer. We did have to ask for matza at meals. If you keep Pesach plan on bringing a few boxes of matza of your own to make life easier.The sedar definitily formed a sense of community among the participants through the rest of the cruise.

As for Easter, huge hoopla, bunny on pool deck w/ fun gifts plus an Easter egg hunt and Easter services and some yummy chocolate bunnies.

Archived