Must Eat - Jamaica

badkittyx2

You know.. I have seen a lot of "must see" threads but I haven't seen a thread dedicated to "must eat" local food.

What have you tried in Jamaica and your recommendations?

Sadly, DW and I didn't avail ourselves of the legendary jerk foods available in Ocho Rios, but we DID enjoy the local beer--Red Stripe! (Yay, beer!):D

Do knock back a cold one or two while you're sampling the local cuisine that I'm sure some of the other cool cruisers on these boards have tried and enjoyed. (C'mon folks, share your experiences!)

If you go to Montego Bay, you GOTTA eat at the Pork Pit. Food so good you can barely stand it, and you can hurt yourself for $10.

Have a great cruise!

JHC

I will second this. the jerked shrimp is so good it'll make your tongue slap your brains out for not having it sooner. It's some good stuff!! the chicken was awesome as well. You can pass on the sausage and it was just more like a typical smoked sausage.

• 4 weeks later...

get in a taxi and ask 'em to take you to their fav' Jerk place......

they probably get a kick-back for bringing folks in

Have some Jerk....chicken, fish or pork is my choice.....

a Dragon, or a Red Stripe, or a TING ......

hummmmm

got any Rolaids?

I will second this. the jerked shrimp is so good it'll make your tongue slap your brains out for not having it sooner. It's some good stuff!! the chicken was awesome as well. You can pass on the sausage and it was just more like a typical smoked sausage.

Now I could really die for the shrimp :D

I am a Shrimp - a -holic

Now I have a Jamaica question too...

does anyone know if the hummingbird cocktail that is mentioned in the Port section of this Board ... is readily available anywhere ?

If so , where have you seen it ?

and was it good?

I saw it listed as the best cocktail and so want to try it :p

Best Cocktail

A Hummingbird is made with coffee liqueur, rum cream liqueur, milk, strawberry syrup and bananas, blended with ice to a smooth frozen consistency

Ahhhh - have your guide take you to get meat patties. They are fried meat pies that are to die for!!! I came back to Texas and tried to find a recipe to make them and they just weren't the same.

If anyone has a recipe for Jamaican meat patties - please pass it along.

Enjoy!

Ahhhh - have your guide take you to get meat patties. They are fried meat pies that are to die for!!! I came back to Texas and tried to find a recipe to make them and they just weren't the same.

Enjoy!

What kind of meat are in them ?

do you have a picture by chance?

Just curious...I have never been there yet , sorry

Ocho Rios - Lobster Dave

Only a quasi-restaurant because only locals eat there and it's basically just a shack. But if you're adventurous, want to meet some awesome locals and want to eat the best seafood of your life, then go there. Go through Margaritaville to the beach. There may be some locals selling jewelry there...Ask them to take you. If they're not there, then just start walking through the surf and the rocks on the left side of the beach. Someone will be around, and they'll recognize that you're trying to get to Lobster Dave's and will help you. Once you're there, there's no menu...you just find out what's good that day, or say you want lobster, or whatever. Then they'll cook you something fantastic while you drink a beer. Dave is a very very gracious host and a nice guy you don't have to be afraid of. Same goes for the locals, especially when they find out you're trying to patronize a local resident instead of that Margaritaville crap.

Enjoy!

OMG! I just found a brand new Jamacian restaurant yesterday outside of Atlanta. I bought 4 beef patties (meat pies - the girl laughed at me when I refered to them that way!), jerk chicken and rice and jerk chicken wings!

today, I have an upset stomach!;) :) I'll be buying more beef patties this week!

Steve

Archived