The Truth About The Little Green Light

Jolynn2262

I almost forgot to post this in my attempt to get back into regular life after my July 9th sailing on the Crown.

Sometime back we had a thread going about just what was the little green light (and small clear little dome) next to the outlet was for. Well I found out first hand.

One day when I went to flip on the bedside lamp, my entire cabin went dark. It must have blown a fuse or something. Not an electrician here, but the green light went out, didn't light up at all, and the little clear dome next to it lit up quite brightly. A nightlight of sorts which was a very good thing in an inside cabin.

There was no signal for maintence or anything, I had to make my way to the door and find my steward, Jose, who was wonderful by the way and close by, and he told me to sit tight and they came right away and did something to reset and restore power.

So that is my tale of the mystery green button.

I leave the bathroom light on and close the door. You get a thin strip of light shining from underneath that is enough to see so you don't trip over things. I've read of people packing flashlights or those stick up lights, but why bring extra stuff?

I leave the bathroom light on and close the door. You get a thin strip of light shining from underneath that is enough to see so you don't trip over things. I've read of people packing flashlights or those stick up lights, but why bring extra stuff?

Because when the power goes out, as happened to the OP, the light in the bathroom also goes out. When you are in an inside cabin, having a non-electric light of some kind provides light to get to the door.

And the power can go out.

We lost power (and propulsion) on The Golden back in February for a little less than 2 hours and it was so dark we had to prop open the cabin door just to see our way around. And we were in a suite on Caribe deck. There was no moon light and it was pretty spooky drifting in the Pacific in the dark.:eek:

Mike:)

I bring with me an LED book light, it is slim design, smaller than a flip style cell phone. It is super bright! Takes up less space than a flashlight and is great if you want to read at night, it won't bother your cabin mates...unless you shine it toward them.

In the case of a power outage it will provide more than enough light to see in your cabin!

Laura

Everyone laughs at me when they see I bring two battery operated candle sticks for each cruise. They aren't just great for any evening, but we have had to use them several times when the ship has lost power.

Lightweight, and they come in very handy for everything from a power outage, to a nitelite for the bathroom, to setting a romantic mood in the stateroom. ;) And the best part, 2 fer $1 at the dollar tree stores around Thanksgiving/Christmas. I always stock up!

I wouildn't laugh at you Toto, and would have paid a handsome profit for one of those in February when we were on The Golden and experienced the power failure.

Mike:)

Mike, and I always try to bring a couple of extras, just in case I need to share. ;) ;)

Everyone laughs at me when they see I bring two battery operated candle sticks for each cruise. They aren't just great for any evening, but we have had to use them several times when the ship has lost power.

Lightweight, and they come in very handy for everything from a power outage, to a nitelite for the bathroom, to setting a romantic mood in the stateroom. ;) And the best part, 2 fer $1 at the dollar tree stores around Thanksgiving/Christmas. I always stock up!

I'll have to look at those, sounds like you have a romantic night/cruise when the rest of us are int he dark:D

Is this the one you have?

http://www.magellans.com/store/Alarm_ClocksAC747?Args=

Looks good - I may have to get one for travel and one for the guest room at home.

Wow! That one is very sophisticated, very nice. Pricier than the one I bought...mine is much smaller (with a flip front; cell phone size). The front comes down and serves as the base, when open. There's a light that can be used as a flash light or night light or not. Smaller than the one shown.

I'm definitely one of those who take along a flashlight on a cruise and keep it by my pillow just in case I have to get up in the middle of the night or if the power goes out. Comes from living in earthquake country (and we got a reminder today:eek: ).

I bought one of those "no batteries" flashlights for travel. You just shake it for a few seconds and you have several minutes of light. The longer you shake ... the more minutes it will operate before you do it again. I've never had to use it, but it's always in my backpack ... and I never need to check the batteries.

Archived