Lanzarote taxis/tour

CJcruzer

I have booked a 4 hour tour in Lanzarote through the cruiseline - but was wondering the availability of taxis to take me to the spots I want to see:

Jameos del Agua

Jardin de Cactus

Mirador del Rio

possibly drive to Fire Mountain if able to fit in.

The first 3 are more in the town/area - is there much to see at port/town itself - any shopping/markets, interesting side streets/architecture?

I would drop the cruiseline tour if I knew taxis would be easy to get, and drivers would understand what we want to see/where to go.

also, if anyone has done this recently, what price did you pay for 4-6 hours?

Another interesting place to go in the vicinity that you have already highlighted for visiting is the Cesar Manriqe Fundacion which was his house fashioned from 5 lava bubbles! It's fabulous. These photographs can't really do it justice - but it's really amazing. Perhaps after Timanfaya and the Jameos del Agua it's the most memorable and impressive visit we made in Lanzarote.

http://www.hoho.co.uk/html/manrique_fundacion.html

There is a weekly market at Old Teguise - it's very popular but it may not be the day you're there.

The Fire Mountain could be too much to fit it with everything else. It's quite extensive and I believe you can't just drive around at will as, if I remember correctly, only coaches go round the (one-way) tour of the top of the mountain at timed intervals. This may mean you wouldn't have control of this element of your trip time-wise and you will want to be sure after driving to the south of the island that you have time to appreciate properly what you went to see.

http://www.discoverlanzarote.com/timanfaya.asp

We were so taken with Lanzarote when we went for a day during a cruise (so many excursions which we thought we wanted to do) that we booked to go back to stay for a week to explore at leisure. For me it has a charm which took me by surprise as I thought the black volcanic rock wouldn't be a landscape I'd enjoy. The influence of Manrique is everywhere (with very few exceptions - no high rise buildings and all buildings painted white) so Lanzarote is very different from the other Canary Islands.

Sorry I can't offer help with respect to taxis. We got one from Costa Teguise to the Fundacion which was quite reasonable (about 10E for 5/10 minute ride) and there were plenty of taxis around Costa Teguise. However whether there will be sufficient at the dock at Arrecife to deal with the demands of a ship-load of passengers disembarking more-or-less at the same time I don't know. Is it possible to pre-book a taxi before you go?

I think it's a fabulous island - we're going again in December. Enjoy!

Archived