Got my docs (Voyager 5/16 sailing) and am disappointed

According to the docs, we are not allowed to board until 6:00 pm. When I booked, they told me noon. I feel I'm getting 'gyped' out of 1/2 a day. And since it's only a 5 night cruise, that seems to be alot. Now I'm wondering if it was worth it to upgrade to a balcony. I could have saved a few hundred dollars if I had booked an interior. I assume it's not possible to downgrade after final payment?

Pam

until Voyager

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

What time does your ship sail? We sailed the Voyager last year from Miami and the ship sailed at 5pm. We boarded the ship at 11:30 am and our docs said the boarding time was at 2 pm. We would have boarded earlier but we had to take the rental car back.

Did it say in your doc that it was mandatory that you board at 6pm? We had a balcony cabin, but I don't think that had anything to do with the time we boarded. I would try to go to the pier earlier and see what happens.

Tropical_island.gif

<marquee>Till we sail on the Jewel of the Seas</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;12;4;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Destiny 10/00

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 08/03

RCCL Jewel of the Seas 12/04

martini.gif

<marquee>What goes hand in hand with cruising? Drinks, drinks, and more drinks.</marquee>

because of the Voyagers late arrival into port from the previous 9 day Caribbean, passengers sailing on the 5 day Canadian, cannot embark as early as usual. Did you plan on spending the first few hours of your cruise in your cabin?

Tropical 9/91

Ecstasy 9/93

Monarch 9/95

Sensation 9/96

Grandeur 9/97

Inspiration 9/98

Enchantment 9/99

Grandeur 9/00

Explorer 3/01

Grand 9/01.........Review!!

Victory 9/02........Review!!

Navigator 3/03....Review!!

Adventure 9/03....Review!!

Voyager 9/04

Email....Cruisinfanatic@AOL.COM

The comment re: the balcony was that I feel I'm being 'gyped' (for lack of a better word) out of 1/2 a day and maybe would have rather of paid less and booked an interior. I'm sure once I'm in my cabin, I'll feel differently, though.

The docs say:

"Please note that Voyager of the Seas will be involved in a departure clearance process upon arrival to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port beginning at 12:00 pm on the day you are scheduled to board the ship.

During this process, the Cape Liberty Cruise Port pier terminal will not be accessible to arriving/boarding guests until after 5:00 pm and boarding is not scheduled to take place until approximately 6:00 pm"

Pam

until Voyager

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

You're correct paminohio! I'm going on the May 21 which is the first 9 night cruise. Maybe you got info that isn't correct for the first 5 day cruise on May 16 but is for the rest of the 5 day cruises. Give R.C. a call.

David

Pam, I wouldn't worry. I'm sure the literature that you received was boiler plate printed, basically for the rest of the 5 night sailings. You are correct, there is a 2 night TA sailing to no where just prior to your cruise. Therefore, I'm sure the ship will be available well before 6:00 pm.

I'm sure most of the TA's that are sailing are planning on being well on their way home by noon.

Beverly

Southward 1988, Britannis 1994, Dolphin IV 1995, Star Princess (old version) 1996, Sea Princess 1999, Seabreeze 1999, Rembrandt 2000, Destiny 2000, Seabreeze 2000, Triumph 2000, Norwegian Majesty 2001, Destiny 2001, Sensation 2002, Victory 2002, Destiny 2003, Vision of the Seas 2003, Triumph 2003, Voyager of the Seas 2004,

In the RCCL brochure I have, it says not to arrive at the pier (Port Libery, Bayonne) before 4:00 p.m. (5-day Canadian cruise) Should I take this literally and book our flight to Newark accordingly? For a previous caribbean cruise we were on the boat soon after lunch. Should I call RCCL for more exact info?

Pam,

We haven't gotten our documents yet - but I can certainly understand why you are upset!!!

First we were told noon, then it was 2:30pm and now 6pm?????? 6pm seems a little late if they have to get everyone on board and sail by 10:00!!

For those of us driving to the pier, what the heck time are we supposed to leave the house?????? If hubby has to wait around at the pier for an excessive amount of time, he will not be happy!! On the other hand - if we leave the house late and boarding started earlier, that's not right either!

Keep us posted on what you find out!!

Karen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;16;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Voyager of the Seas

Tahitian Princess - 10/03 (Our Honeymoon)

Carnival Paradise - 08/02

What is most upsetting about this whole thing is the lack of information RCI has on the 5/16 Voyager trip and Cape Liberty. It seems nobody knows what is going on. I originally called 3 times to RCI and asked the boarding time and received 3 different answers, however the most recent info was 2:30PM and that was from 2 different RCI CSA's.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;16;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Voyager to Canada

Every time I called I was told noon. This was before I booked and after. Even the change from noon to 2:30 isn't traumatic. BUT, changing to 6:00 means a missed lunch and a missed dinner...I don't see how they could do dinner in the dining room with two seatings if they aren't BEGINNING boarding until 6:00 pm. I am SO not someone who always looks for compensation when I'm 'wronged', but I WILL be very upset if we end not not being able to board until 6:00 pm since when I booked they said noon. That probably would have made a difference in what cruise I chose. I would not have wanted to have my first day on board be so short. Maybe that is why they're dropping the price so much...that is our compensation?

Pam

until Voyager

Okay - I am on the phone with "Steve" at RCCL right now. According to him, lunch and dinner are being served on board. As far as he knows, boarding will begin at 12. Disembarkation for the 2 day cruise prior to us begins at 8am and should be completed by 10-10:30. I inquired as to why the official documents say 6pm and he had no idea. He also wondered aloud how that many people would be processed for a 10pm sailaway time if it wasn't starting until 6pm. He ASSURES me that boarding begins at noon.

I may keep trying RCCL - see if I get different people if I get the same answer!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;16;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Voyager of the Seas

karen, do you think this applies to both the 9-day Caribbean and the 5 day Canadian cruises out of Port Liberty? I have neither booked the cruise (for June) or the airline. It certainly would make a difference on what airline flights I choose.

beachgirl - honestly, i am not sure. i think your boarding time would be most affected by the cruise that was disembarking before-hand. i would think it's a lot easier to get TA's off from a 2-day cruise, than a full ship returning from a standard cruise. we have never cruised with RCCL before, so i am not sure what to expect.

Voyager of the Seas

I also just called and had an agent that could not have been more rude to me. She said,,,whatever was on the cruise documents is the time you board, not before. I explained to her that I need to know to tell the car service, but she yelled at me and said,,sir!,,,i told you, whatever your docs say. I explained I had not received my docs yet and she said, then call your TA, it has nothing to do with us! Can you believe this? I called again and was told 2:00. So who knows? I am getting there at noon.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;16;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Voyager to Canada

I haven't had this much fun in ages!!!! Luckily, Easter dinner is already in the oven, or we would be eating at midnight icon_smile.gif

Called again and got "Marietta" - very pleasant. She said that all documents "officially" say 6pm, but you are allowed to board as soon as the prior cruise has departed. She did know that before our cruise is just a 2-day TA cruise, so she thought they would be done by 11:30-12:00pm. She said to "play it safe" - try to get to the pier between 1:00 & 2, incase there is an unanticipated delay in getting the TA's off.

Voyager of the Seas

I say we storm the port and noon and DEMAND to be let on the ship. We also demand robes (to take home as well as use on board) and towel animals EVERY DAY in our cabins to compensate us for all this aggrevation. Also, I think an hour of complimentary drinks in a private lounge. And, everyone should get a complimentary upgrade and at least 1/2 off a future cruise.

icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and we should also demand lobster at least twice for dinner.

Pam

until Voyager

Well Karen_cpa, you know the TA's are all going to be hung over from the night before! They may not be moving so quickly Sunday morning.

Just kidding to any of you TA's out there, we all know how hard you work. ( but its a fact you guys know how to party)

Voyager to Canada

Ok...I just got off the phone with Moria (rhymes with Gloria)...she said at a meeting just last week she specifically asked the people that work the pier when we could board. They told her 11:30!!! They told her food will be ready for lunch and dinner. She told me SHE had been getting different answers every time she asked someone so that is why she asked the people who actually do the embarking and debarking.

Pam

until Voyager

Once again....RCI is clueless!

LOL.... It's funny If you call six times you will get six answers.

We will be there around 12:00....party at the pier if they won't let us on icon_smile.gif

Bobbie

Voyager of the Seas in....

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Adventure of the Seas 2-03

Enchantment of the Seas 3-03

Majesty of the Seas 5-03

Adventure of the Seas 9-03

Sovereign of the Seas 11-03

Sovereign of the Seas 1-04

Grandeur of the Seas 3-04

My albums can be viewed with this link...

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/

I could be dead wrong about this, but isn't it a fact that there have been no cruises out of Bayonne yet? It was my understanding that they're still putting it all together. If that's the case, it's not surprising that there would be confusion. Perhaps they'll have better info closer to the cruise date (I realize today is pretty darn close icon_smile.gif).

I'm interested in this because we'll be taking this cruise, but not till September. Like an idiot, I'm waiting for the Giants schedule to come out because I'm in hopes of catching a game at the Meadowlands on departure day!

Hope it all firms up for you.

Doc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JordanF:

I don't know if this helps, but the nine day cruise out of NJ does not get into port until noon. This may explain the late boarding time for the five day cruise.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe that is why the docs say 6:00. But for our cruise that is not the case - there is no 9-day cruise prior. Seems to make sense.

I'm back to my original plan of getting there early!

Pam

until Voyager

Archived