FREE Computer Use on HAL??

mikjr

The ship's computers run a highly modified version of Windows, so I'm sure that they've taken some security steps.

My guess is that it's a "thin client" (such as Citrix) where the bulk of the functionality runs on a server. Whatever it is, it is highly customized and lacks, IMO, the look and feel that I'm accustomed to with my own system. One of the additional reasons I'm not interested in leaving the notebook at home. At least with the notebook, I know where everything is without having to train myself on a new interface.

I had two SD cards each with 1 GB of memory (purchased for about $10 each on sale at Walgreen's). I guess it depends on what kind of cards you need. If it is an unusual size it could be hard to find.

I shoot my 4 mp camera at the highest setting and got 500 pics on one card. I had the photo shop transfer the one card to a DVD. They got it all on one DVD and charged $9.99 for it. It gave me peace of mind to know I had a back-up.

Only two computers on the Zuiderdam had an external USB drive for plugging in cards, sticks etc. I don't know if they had a place to burn to a DVD, because as other readers described all the towers were locked. It really is used for emailing pictures. But let me tell you, the computers are really slow so that uploading can take a long time if, like me, you shoot at high resolution!

That's a great idea to "barter" with others. I know I thought I would run into an internet cafe while in port and do it myself. I know it doesn't take long, but who wants to spend their precious port time doing that?????

Take some blank DVD's, buy new memory cards, if you can, and have a good time!

... run into an internet cafe while in port and do it myself. I know it doesn't take long, but who wants to spend their precious port time doing that?????
That's what I thought until I tried to do it at a WalMart! I started to put about 300 pics of 3 Mp each onto a CD, and it seemed to be very slow. I did a quick calculation, and figured out that at the rate it was going I would be standing there about 90 minutes! The clerk said I could abort out and pay nothing, so I did. (Yes, I know you said Internet Cafe, and that would have been better.)

With SD cards now running about $8 /Gb I just bring penty. BTW, I prefer to use multiple 1 Gb cards rather than fewer cards of 2 Gb or higher, just in case of a malfunction. I figure the more small batches I have, the better my chances not losing all of them. :)

we were amazed last year at the number of people we overheard disucssing the fact that they only had one 1MB or smaller sd card for a 25 night cruise and just stopped taking pics. it was in the daily news all the time that you could burn your photos on to disc. don't know if people were 1. scared they'd lose their photos, 2. too cheap to pay the $15, or 3. couldn't read :eek:

we burnt photos to disc for a couple we became friends with as they had run out of space on both cameras!

Sadly, the older digital cameras won't take the larger memory cards. I had that problem on my last cruise. The camera I was using would only take a max of a 64K card. Bought a new camera though and now I can use the big ones. I plan to bring several on my 35-day cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived