FREE Computer Use on HAL??

mikjr

I assume HAL has a computer LAB / Internet Cafe on the Statendam?

Is there a charge for using HAL's computers... other than using it for Internet access?

I'd like to transfer files from my cameras memory to a memory stick? I could bring my laptop, but don't really want to carry it.

If they do charge... how much is it?

mikjr--welcome to the HAL board!

Yes, the Statendam has an Explorations Cafe where there are PCs available, but only for a fee. However, you will not be able to use them for anything other than surfing the web and checking/sending email. The computers are not accessible for uploading files or data of any kind as a way to avoid any viruses being introduced to the system.

I apologize for not knowing the exact rates, but HAL offers several plans, for example, by-the-minute; and IIRC, 100 and 200 minute packages. I'm sure that someone who has the exact rates will post them soon. I hope this helps a bit!

The computers are not accessible for uploading files or data of any kind as a way to avoid any viruses being introduced to the system.

Well... my only interest in accessing the computer was to transfer data from my camcorder to another memory source... so, if that's not possible, looks like I'll need to either bring my laptop (which is a hassle) or buy additional SD memory... which is not cheap.

Thanks for the info... and the welcome!

Well... my only interest in accessing the computer was to transfer data from my camcorder to another memory source... so, if that's not possible, looks like I'll need to either bring my laptop (which is a hassle) or buy additional SD memory... which is not cheap.

Thanks for the info... and the welcome!

I don't know when you last purchased SD memory, but you might want to look again. I just recently bought a 4Gb SD card and USB SD card reader for 20 bucks.

The photo shop can transfer pics from a memory card to a CD for $15, so maybe they can transfer from your camcorder to CD. Personally, I would buy more memory.

HAL doesn't have computers like that.

Just basic computers for internet usage.

Some ships have memory card readers on all computers (Noordam is one) and I believe all ships have them on some of the computers.

You're not going to be able to load any files onto the internet computers. In fact, when you sit down at them, there is only a monitor, mouse and keyboard accessible to you. The server is locked away somewhere. Those computers are pretty much for internet browsing and email, and that's about it. I think they do have some software packages like Word in them. You could write something and then email the file to yourself for saving, as well as print (for an extra charge).

The only way to download your camera memory into your computer is to bring a laptop along on your trip and download to there. Your other option, if you either don't have a laptop or if you don't want to bring it, is to have the photo shop download your memory stick to a CD. I don't know what the charge is for that, but I think it's pretty reasonable.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Some ships have memory card readers on all computers (Noordam is one) and I believe all ships have them on some of the computers.

Those must be the Vistas then, cause I never saw one. I was always told that HAL didn't want people putting their own files on the internet center computers due to the possibilty of viruses bringing the whole network down.

Blue skies ...

--rita

In fact, when you sit down at them, there is only a monitor, mouse and keyboard accessible to you. The server is locked away somewhere.
The computer is in the cabinet next to your legs ... but I believe you're right that it's usually locked! :)

If HAL's computers are set up to limit or eliminate virtually all functionality except for internet use, I wonder if the card readers integral to the computers have been disabled by HAL. I would not count on a card reader being available onboard.

If HAL's computers are set up to limit or eliminate virtually all functionality except for internet use, I wonder if the card readers integral to the computers have been disabled by HAL. I would not count on a card reader being available onboard.
I don't know how they prevent someone from sneaking something on via a camera memory card either, but I do know that they are there so that people can attach photos to their emails. I've never tried, and don't know exactly how they allow just that function. The ship's computers run a highly modified version of Windows, so I'm sure that they've taken some security steps.

The card readers aren't integral to the computers. They're a small box hanging from the corner of the monitor or on the table near the mouse pad.

I don't know when you last purchased SD memory, but you might want to look again. I just recently bought a 4Gb SD card and USB SD card reader for 20 bucks.

I just purchased an HD camcorder, and the memory I need is 16GB for over $100. So... I guess it's still reasonable.

I don't know how they prevent someone from sneaking something on via a camera memory card either, but I do know that they are there so that people can attach photos to their emails. I've never tried, and don't know exactly how they allow just that function. The ship's computers run a highly modified version of Windows, so I'm sure that they've taken some security steps.

The card readers aren't integral to the computers. They're a small box hanging from the corner of the monitor or on the table near the mouse pad.

Thanks for your insight.

Because my laptop has an integral reader, I believed that's what other posters meant. Indeed, the readers may be set up only to allow reading/attaching to an email and not to download images to a passenger-owned removable jump drive.

I assume HAL has a computer LAB / Internet Cafe on the Statendam?

Is there a charge for using HAL's computers... other than using it for Internet access?

I'd like to transfer files from my cameras memory to a memory stick? I could bring my laptop, but don't really want to carry it.

If they do charge... how much is it?

3 options:

1. buy more memory. In the long run, probably a good investment

2. Have the photo place copy your memory onto permanent media (probably a CD, but maybe a DVD)

3. At a port stop, find a place that can transfer to a CD or DVD

Additionally, there may be others on the cruise who can do this for you on their laptop. Bring along a couple of blank CDs or DVDs or a flash drive and offer to buy someone a drink in exchange for a favor.

Additionally, there may be others on the cruise who can do this for you on their laptop. Bring along a couple of blank CDs or DVDs or a flash drive and offer to buy someone a drink in exchange for a favor.

Although we just travel with loads of memory (very cheap from newegg.com) I like this barter idea:p I know I'd do it for someone else if I were travelling with my laptop.....

newegg is selling 4gb sd cards for $12.95.

4gb ought to get you about 1,300 6 megapixel photos, or 100 minutes of standard definition video.

IMO, you'd be better off waiting to get home to transfer everything. SD is a reliable transport mechanism, CDs and DVDs are much less stable, easier to scratch, easier to think you got everything on when you really didn't get anything. It'd be a hard way to lose all your photos/videos, especially when $12.95 would buy you another 1,300 photos or 100 minutes of video.

3 options:

1. buy more memory. In the long run, probably a good investment

2. Have the photo place copy your memory onto permanent media (probably a CD, but maybe a DVD)

3. At a port stop, find a place that can transfer to a CD or DVD

Additionally, there may be others on the cruise who can do this for you on their laptop. Bring along a couple of blank CDs or DVDs or a flash drive atures when they ran out of space.nd offer to buy someone a drink in exchange for a favor.

we were amazed last year at the number of people we overheard disucssing the fact that they only had one 1MB or smaller sd card for a 25 night cruise and just stopped taking pics. it was in the daily news all the time that you could burn your photos on to disc. don't know if people were 1. scared they'd lose their photos, 2. too cheap to pay the $15, or 3. couldn't read :eek:

we burnt photos to disc for a couple we became friends with as they had run out of space on both cameras!

pete

fingers crossed Asia on Volendam next year xx

we were amazed last year at the number of people we overheard disucssing the fact that they only had one 1MB or smaller sd card for a 25 night cruise and just stopped taking pics. it was in the daily news all the time that you could burn your photos on to disc. don't know if people were 1. scared they'd lose their photos, 2. too cheap to pay the $15, or 3. couldn't read :eek:

we burnt photos to disc for a couple we became friends with as they had run out of space on both cameras!

pete

fingers crossed Asia on Volendam next year xx

More than likely it is a combination of 2 and 3.

Perhaps it depends on the "memory". I have a USB jump drive and on the last two cruises ("R" class Oct 07, Feb 08), I have been told "no joy" at transferring files from the USB to the printer using HAL computers. I can, of course, send the files from my notebook, log onto the net using a HAL computer, and then transfer the files using hte HAL print facility, essentially doubling (and more) the amount of internet minutes I burn.

Archived