Carrying a Walking Stick on Board?

NJBelle

Hi all,

My family and I are going to French Polynesia in a couple of weeks, and if I find a beautiful carved walking stick, I would love to buy it and bring it home. But I would hate to do that and then not be able to get it home on the plane. When we were in South Africa last year, I found a wonderful stick, but my husband talked me out of it since he said I would not be able to get it on the plane. I am hoping that that is really not the case, but figured this was the place to ask. Any advice in advance?

Thanks!

NJBelle

we have bought canes all over the world and carried them home on the plane.

are you talking about a stick that is 6 ft long? that would be more difficult. check with the airline.

Hi, as far as how tall - well, I haven't bought it yet! So, I would look for whatever would definitely "fly" with the airlines. Were yours like 4 feet tall or so? I didn't have in mind any kind of really big stick, just a few feet tall and pretty light in weight.

How did you wrap it - or did you just walk on the plane with it? Were you concerned about it being cracked or broken in the overhead bin?

THanks so much for letting me know about your success. I look forward to hearing more.

Best, NJBelle

On a recent trip, my mother, father and sister all used walking canes. They had no problem flying with them (they were actually flagged to the handicapped line whenever we encountered a long line at the airport.) The sticks and canes were placed in the overhead bin, along with their carry-on suitcases. No problems!

The designs for walking canes (designed to assist those with physical impairments) and walking sticks (designed to assist hikers/climbers) are essentially the same. Should be no problem, either getting through security or onto the plane.

We have some beautiful bamboo walking sticks from Thailand that screw together at the midpoint, thus can be packed into a suitcase. It's another option to look for when shopping.

From the TSA website:

Walking Canes - allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed.

As for rules in Polynesia, I'd check with AirFrance or Air Tahiti Nui, as they would likely have more specific info. Also, check with your specific carrier.

I carry a cane. At TSA screening they send the cane, in one of those plastic bins, through the xray machine. They are supposed to have an all wood cane available to carry through the machine we walk through, but that is not always the case. On the plane, no problem -- the cane goes in the overhead bin. If you have a walking stick too long to fit in an overhead bin, then I guess you need to work something out with the airline before boarding.

David

Hi, thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the help on this one. I had looked at the ATN website and they said that walking sticks and canes were allowed, but of course, the one I would be buying would not be for my medical need, but for decorative purposes (I collect them). I was concerned that they would not let me board with it, but I guess a walking stick is a walking stick!

Thanks again. Just wanted to be prepared if I find a really nice one during my travels around the islands.

Best, NJBelle

Archived