Thomson smoking policy

We have just received via e-mail a 9 page document from Cruise Critic.Co.Uk titled "Cruise line smoking policies" last updated 28/07/08

written by Jana Jones and updated by Doug Newman .

Under the Thomson Cruise section it states:

Where you can smoke. Smoking is permitted on open decks and in the designated smoking sections of public rooms. Smoking in cabins is permitted but strongly discouraged.

Where you cant All bars and lounges have no-smoking sections and restaurants and the main show lounges are non- smoking.

All of this is clearly wrong and a further number of cruises booked by Thomson following false information.

To the ex-smoker lobby this is all about mis-information not smoking.

Hi there

I must be feeling a bit dense today because I'm not sure what the 'misinformation' is that you are complaining about.

On the Emerald this May it was 'no smoking' in all enclosed areas, but people could smoke in the open air bars.

Flopsy

The information is clearly wrong - is that what you mean by mis-information? Or are you implying that the information is deliberately misleading which is a whole new ball game.

It seems to be Cruise Critic.Co.Uk who have made the mistake, though, and not Thomson's as their website clearly states that smoking is not allowed inside.

Thomsons say that now but at the time of booking for 2008 cruises for some people, they had not changed their policy and it said smoking is allowed in designated areas inside- hence the issue for some cruisers

I understand that and I can also understand that some smokers may feel a bit annoyed by the new policy. I don't believe Thomson's are deliberately misleading people, though, just responding to consumer demand. Should they compensate smokers who cancel their booking? Good question. Trouble is it could be used by some people as an excuse to cancel without penalty. Tricky one but hey, ho - that's life!

Doug Newman at Cruise Critic should have checked his information at source and if the 'source' was Thomsons and said smoking was allowed in designated areas then they have a communications problem.

Hopefully we are not seeing here a typically corporate shambles, e.g. We have this new policy but it might put people off booking, OK, put it on the web site but don't tell anybody!!!

Believe me it happens.

We have just received via e-mail a 9 page document from Cruise Critic.Co.Uk titled "Cruise line smoking policies" last updated 28/07/08

written by Jana Jones and updated by Doug Newman .

Under the Thomson Cruise section it states:

Where you can smoke. Smoking is permitted on open decks and in the designated smoking sections of public rooms. Smoking in cabins is permitted but strongly discouraged.

Where you cant All bars and lounges have no-smoking sections and restaurants and the main show lounges are non- smoking.

All of this is clearly wrong and a further number of cruises booked by Thomson following false information.

To the ex-smoker lobby this is all about mis-information not smoking.

Give it a rest Don Quixote.:rolleyes:

• Administrators

Hello:

I have asked our Managing Editor to look into this issue. Stay tuned.

Laura

Give it a rest Don Quixote.:rolleyes:

No. I will not give this a miss.It is very important that all Thomson customers are given ( as best possible ) the correct information to enable them to make an informed choice as to whether they will book with them.

If you do not agree please explain why.

Hello:

I have asked our Managing Editor to look into this issue. Stay tuned.

Laura

Hi Laura,

Thanks for looking into this issue.

Regards Banjoman 1

Whilst on the computer could you explain to me why my recent posting (approx 3 days ago ) after returning from a holiday on Destiny has been removed.

Hi Banjoman1:mad:

It was probably removed because you made comments about certain types of people which was totally irrelevant and need not be taken into account when deciding whether you had a good holiday or not!!!

This is not the type of thing we expect on this forum.

Smiffy1951

Hi smiffy - you're right this isn't the kind of thing we're used to on this forum.

Banjoman has 35 posts (30 on the Thomson board) all on the subject of smoking - talk about having an agenda!

Whilst many of us had sympathy for his original complaint of change of policy after booking, I think he has more than made his point now - we've got it!!!!! and it isn't approppriate for him to berate other Thomson travellers because of his experiences with Thomson.

He should now pursue the issue with them and have the good grace (after offending quite a few people) to exit this forum unless he has something new and worthwhile (and not personal) to contribute. I am prepared to listen to others' complaints as well as good experiences - but it's all in the manner in which it's said.

I'm not surprised his post has been removed - although all of ours seem to have gone with it. Is this the way it works or has it just been removed temporarily whilst the contents are being considered? I haven't come across this before mainly because, I think, on here postings don't usually become so contentious (or personal).

Its always best not to get personal on any forum. I like people and people who know me and my friend wendy always say that we are nice too. Never let something get you down, wendy often tells me. One night I was very upset and wendy told me that. I felt much better.

Donna and Wendy, my apology was pulled from the other thread yesterday, so you may not have seen it.

When I joined this forum I wanted to discuss cruising, specifically Thomson, as my family and I have done most of their ships in the last few years. I want to get other peoples views, opinions, advice, and share a few stories.

So far you and your cuddly friend wendy, the well liked hairdresser, with lots of friends and whimsical lifestyle haven't given us much information on cruises, would you like to share some of your experiences with us?

I promise to keep it relevant if you do!

I APOLOGISE IN ADVANCE

You're priceless Rosebaskets - please carry on posting your sense of humour is much appreciated!

Yes, let's get back to the important things cruising, cruising and more cruising!!!!!

Let us remember. My wife & I posted what the majority deemed a polite & genuine complaint. This was followed by a torrent of abusive replies from the obvious offenders.What should have happened is that experienced posters such as yourself should have had these comments removed-this is exactly what happened on the Cunard site.I did make the mistake of lowering myself in responding to the worst which accounts for most postings.

I have just come off the phone with Thomsons Customer Services.They are " inundated" with complaints re this new policy mainly from people who booked prior.

In addition I quote from the Cruise Citic offending document "smokers often feel bruised and battered and slink away in shame,and non-smokers are often arrogant and self righteous and well.. just plain rude."

To me this sums it up

Pity the other thread went - but Rosebaskets, you are equally as subtley (if there is such a word) funny on this one!

Banjoman1 - seems to me it isn't necessarily just non-smokers who are "arrogant, self-righteous and just plain rude".

I have requested Cruise Critic to remove your nasty comment

Hi smiffy - you're right this isn't the kind of thing we're used to on this forum.

Banjoman has 35 posts (30 on the Thomson board) all on the subject of smoking - talk about having an agenda!

Whilst many of us had sympathy for his original complaint of change of policy after booking, I think he has more than made his point now - we've got it!!!!! and it isn't approppriate for him to berate other Thomson travellers because of his experiences with Thomson.

He should now pursue the issue with them and have the good grace (after offending quite a few people) to exit this forum unless he has something new and worthwhile (and not personal) to contribute. I am prepared to listen to others' complaints as well as good experiences - but it's all in the manner in which it's said.

I'm not surprised his post has been removed - although all of ours seem to have gone with it. Is this the way it works or has it just been removed temporarily whilst the contents are being considered? I haven't come across this before mainly because, I think, on here postings don't usually become so contentious (or personal).

Apologies.By mistake I have replied on your other thread.

The information is clearly wrong - is that what you mean by mis-information? Or are you implying that the information is deliberately misleading which is a whole new ball game.

It seems to be Cruise Critic.Co.Uk who have made the mistake, though, and not Thomson's as their website clearly states that smoking is not allowed inside.

Since may 1st when the new regulations came in I have been given wrong information firstly by Thomson Customer Services,then by our local Thomson travel shop and now by Cruise Critic.

As a matter of fact the Thomson website waS changed soon after our original complaint to them.

I have requested Cruise Critic to remove your nasty comment

.......and yet you were happy to quote it in your own thread (& agree wholeheartedly with it) when the comments were aimed at non-smokers!

If you can't take it Banjoman1 then perhaps you should stop dishing it out.;)

I can appreciate why Banjoman you would be disppointed in not receiving the hol that you believed you'd booked but I can see this arguement going round & round in ever decreasing circles, as it's such an emotive one. You will never gain the empathy of the non-smokers, beyond (possibly) their stating what I've said in my opening sentence.

The no smoking rule was in before the 1st May '08, as per my reply on another smoking thread, when I quoted from the ship's daily newsletter. We were on the Spirit 12-19 April '08. I'm therefore surprised that permission was given for smoking in the cabin as one would assume the rules apply to all ships at all times. I would do my own special brand of "fuming" if I found that my cabin smelt remotely of smoke, courtesy of the previous occupant! :eek: Here's the quote again from the April Spirit Newsletter.

"Following the recent changes in UK legislation & feedback from our customers, smoking is only permitted in strictly designated areas. The smoking areas can be found on on parts of the open deck only.......Please note that smoking is not permitted in the cabins."

Archived