Cost of processing & shipping home your fish from Ketchikan

2Oregonians

This has been discussed before, so I thought I'd chime in with our experience. My husband did a sportfishing excursion in Ketchikan, which cost $199 plus $20 for a 1-day license, and to process & ship home was $121.04.

He caught his limit of 6 salmon and had them processed into 7 lbs. fillets, 8 lbs. smoked. Fillets cost $4.75/lb and smoked $7.35/lb. That's $94.05, to which they added sales tax of $4.28, and a FedEx fuel surcharge of $22.71. Total $121.04.

So $219 + $121 = $340. Divide that by 15 lbs. and it cost just short of $23.00/lb for the fish. You'd have to chalk some of it up to entertainment, but to a non-fish eater (me), that's expensive fish! It's all good though. He loved it and I'm happy about that. :D He and his family will enjoy eating them.

Just wanted to be informative in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks for the info! My husband is going fishing in 3 ports and I can't stand salmon (he thinks I'm crazy). I hope he enjoys the trips!

If you end up shipping fish home, buy some scallops at the processor because the scallops, although not as large as large year, are even better in taste.

Janice

Can you order scallops?

I am sure that you can. If Greatam sees this post, I am sure that she can give you the name of the processor in Homer, and Glacier Lady can give you the name of the one on the dock at Seward (where I just bought from locally but cannot remember the name) and Fish Central is the place that I have always used in Valdez. If you are also feeling flush, buy some red salmon as well from Seward.

Janice

Archived