Parking at the NY pier?

tamarara65

I am also from Middlesex County. Isn't there an easier way to get there for us without paying the $210? We have four adults cruising on Oct 5, 2008 from Manhattan Pier. We haven't figured out how to get there yet. A car rental one way is roughly $100 I think. If all four of us fit I think that might be better. it's $200 but you get door to door and don't worry about parking. I'm not certain on the price. But I think that's close. I plan to call and find out.

Does anyone know if we can take a train to the pier? The $210 doesn't bother me as much as driving in Manhattan and then hoping to get a parking space in the garage. A train would make this journey very convenient.

Does anyone know if we can take a train to the pier? The $210 doesn't bother me as much as driving in Manhattan and then hoping to get a parking space in the garage. A train would make this journey very convenient.

You can take a train to Manhattan.

Penn Station is between 33rd and 32nd Streets between 7th and 8th Ave's.

Trains serviced at Penn Station are Amtrak, NJ Transit, LIRR and NYC Subways.

Grand Central Station is at 42nd and Lex. Trains Serviced at Grand Central are Metro North.

The Manhattan Piers are at 48th to 52nd Street and 12th Ave.

The Brooklyn Piers are in Red Hook.

You can possible walk from Penn Station to the Manhattan piers, but it would be a trek with luggage.

Cab fare from Penn Station to the Manhattan piers is about $15.

Cab fare from Grand Central to the Manhattan piers is about $15.

Cab far from either station to the Brooklyn Piers is about $25.

we always do the train to Penn station and then get into one of the many waiting cabs right outside. It's maybe a 10+ minute ride up the upper west side to the pier. And we've never had a problem getting a cab for the ride back to the train station. They do have cabs that are SUVs if you have a lot of luggage for a big family

we always do the train to Penn station and then get into one of the many waiting cabs right outside. It's maybe a 10+ minute ride up the upper west side to the pier. And we've never had a problem getting a cab for the ride back to the train station. They do have cabs that are SUVs if you have a lot of luggage for a big family

I always go on NJ Transit trains to NY & can't imagine dealing with all that luggage in Penn Station. Do you take Amtrak? They have porters, don't they?

Is the Weehawkin Ferry Terminal guarded 24 hours like it is on the pier. While that does sound it can be a plan, I'm not sure about lugging all of our luggage on the ferry, etc. I guess for me I'd be willing to pay a bit more $$ if it's a bit more easier.

gszach - if you find out prices or more info. on that, let me know. I was thinking car service would run a bit more, with the prices of gas and all. But who knows...

At 39th st. Is only a few blocks up along the water...very easy walk and convenient (as long as the weather is good). Although, when I called this morning they said the fee was $10 per day and an extra $10 for overnight--so that along with the $9 one way ticket for a few people may not be so different.

BUT...you won't have to worry about the traffic heading to the pier via West Side Highway-which can be quite brutal. I'm still going to consider the ferry to avoid the NY traffic.

I'm not sure if the lot is guarded during the evening, but it is blocked off to cars. I do know that it is basically a commuter area. It's not a place that has any other traffic besides people going to the ferry. It is also not a pedestrian area (people hanging out etc.). I would feel that my car is safe there.

At 39th st. Is only a few blocks up along the water...very easy walk and convenient (as long as the weather is good). Although, when I called this morning they said the fee was $10 per day and an extra $10 for overnight--so that along with the $9 one way ticket for a few people may not be so different.

BUT...you won't have to worry about the traffic heading to the pier via West Side Highway-which can be quite brutal. I'm still going to consider the ferry to avoid the NY traffic.

The Ferry Terminal is at 39th Street. The Cruise Passenger terminal is from 48th to 52nd street. While a 10 block walk isn't so bad, it's another story schlepping around a weeks worth of luggage

The Ferry Terminal is at 39th Street. The Cruise Passenger terminal is from 48th to 52nd street. While a 10 block walk isn't so bad, it's another story schlepping around a weeks worth of luggage

There is a free shuttle that takes you to different parts of Manhattan from the ferry terminal. I believe it is the 57th street shuttle that takes you to the cruise port. Also, a cab from the ferry terminal on 39th to the pier is only about $5 and probably worth it if you don't want to tour Manhattan on your way to the ship.

:D Don't forget there's always the bus! The port authority is only about a two block walk to the ship port. Depending on where you are coming from- a direct bus ride from bergen county is ussually no more than $5 each way. And the busses aren't ussually crowded on the weekends. If you live in a town with bus transportation it is deffinitely the most economical way to get there.

:D Don't forget there's always the bus! The port authority is only about a two block walk to the ship port. Depending on where you are coming from- a direct bus ride from bergen county is ussually no more than $5 each way. And the busses aren't ussually crowded on the weekends. If you live in a town with bus transportation it is deffinitely the most economical way to get there.

The "ship" isn't a two block walk from Port Authority. It's 4 of the long blocks, then another 6-8 short blocks.

I am also from Middlesex County. Isn't there an easier way to get there for us without paying the $210? We have four adults cruising on Oct 5, 2008 from Manhattan Pier. We haven't figured out how to get there yet. A car rental one way is roughly $100 I think. If all four of us fit I think that might be better. it's $200 but you get door to door and don't worry about parking. I'm not certain on the price. But I think that's close. I plan to call and find out.

Renting a car doesn't make sense as the car rental offices are a taxicab drive from the pier. Hardly door to door and the $100 fee will only work for the small cars that may not have enough luggage room.

We haven't tried this limo company yet, but they are offering a good pier package for a few dollars more than 6 night parking. $279 door-to-door round trip with 2 free hours wait time at disembarkation. Price includes gratuities and tolls. About $70 pp for 4 passengers

http://www.meridianlimousine.net/piers.html

Archived