Are Maasdam's Canadian ports wheelchair accessible?

AAL

My parents are interested in Maasdam's New England/Canada cruise next year, but my Dad requires a wheelchair. Are any of the Canadian ports on this cruise tender ports? Any other words of wisdom (staterooms, shore excursions, etc.) for someone in a wheelchair? (He can transfer on his own, with some effort, but can't walk.) Thanks!

My parents are interested in Maasdam's New England/Canada cruise next year, but my Dad requires a wheelchair. Are any of the Canadian ports on this cruise tender ports? Any other words of wisdom (staterooms, shore excursions, etc.) for someone in a wheelchair? (He can transfer on his own, with some effort, but can't walk.) Thanks!

I can tell you that Saint John, New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia are NOT tender ports. I don't know if your particular Maasdam cruise comes to SJ but it is in here several times each season. Saint John and Halifax are both wheelchair friendly cities.

I stand to be corrected, but I think Quebec City is not a tender port either as I have seen pictures of the cruise ships docked there.

If you go to the Canada board you will find several threads covering these ports and your questions may be more quickly answered if seen by locals who don't necessarily monitor the HAL boards.

Bar Harbor Maine is a tender port. We have never tendered in PEI but others have and I don't know the present situation there.

Maasdam is an easy ship to get around but, like all the S-class ships, does not have the midship elevator bank.

If he needs a wheel chair in the cabin it would be necessary to booked a handicapped room which has all the necessities including a shower chair.

Hal has a departement that deals with these issues; I'm sorry I don't remember the name but someone else will chime in with it, I'm sure.

If they have a good travel agent he/she will be able to help, or you can book directly with HAL.

There is a forum here on CC for disabled travel, check it out.

GN

The only tender port is Bar Harbor. We have tendered in the recent past in Charlottetown, PEI as they were rebuilding their large dock. Maasdam now docks again.

Maasdam docks in Halifax, Sydney, Quebec and Montreal.

Archived