Immigration process

Nikkipink

Hello

Can anyone tell me about the immigration process please on board QM2? I shall be travelling on QM2 on a voyage sailing from Southampton to New York, Halifax, Boston back to New York and then home to Southampton.

Many years ago my parents travelled on QE2 and an immigration officer travelled with them on the crossing dealing with their papers and passports in a public room according to their surname throughout the 5 days to New York. We will probably go on an official tour in New York the first time and then spend the second visit to New York 5 days later doing things ourselves.

Can anyone shed any light on what happens please?

thank you

Nikki

Thanks for the info.

Yes - that's the one - I shall be on board with my parents. Looking forward to our second short trip on QM2 later this month to Hamburg and then the American one next year - should be great!

Nikki

We did a b2b on 4th May 08 Southampton-NewYork -Southampton. The immigration into New York (Brooklyn) was done off ship and as we were in transit could get off early with the self help getting off the ship before 8am.

On the way back immigration was done over several days according to what deck you were on for several hours a day in the upper Brittania restaurant..very convenient...making the exodus at Southampton less painful.

Fred & Sian..UK

I went thru Brooklyn on 22 Jul. The system seemed as efficient as one would hope, given the 2600 people entering the country. The queue split into US and non-US passports, but the attendants directed people to all the agents in whatever manner was most efficient.

Being a US citizen, the agent asked me a few questions about my declarations and where I had been, but not as many questions as I had to answer at Heathrow.

The family in front of me was not from the US and it took several minutes to process them. I do believe they were photographed.

Archived