Canada Wedding/Alaska Cruise?

DallasGuy75219

My partner and I are considering getting married in Vancouver next year and honeymooning on an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver or Seattle. Anyone else done this or have experience with land-based gay wedding packages in Vancouver, or any shipboard same-sex weddings?

We're just looking for a simple, intimate ceremony, and if we have the wedding onboard we're more concerned about finding a drama-free, open-minded, accomodating officiant and cruise line than having a fabulous celebration.

Congrats! :D

We were married last year north of Victoria and had a wonderful private ceremony. We had many officiants to choose from that were more then happy to marry us there. We had planned on being married in a church in Vancouver but could not work out the details to get our license due to a Canadian holiday, hence Vancouver Island... We honeymooned at The Empress... then this year we did the Alaska cruise for our 1 year anniversary! What was so very amazing is our getting married was no big deal to Canadians, while it is a huge deal in the states their attitude is "well sure no problem here"! At The Empress we had both honeymoon gifts & anniversary gifts complimentary, yeh we went back for a week before the cruise. On the cruise we were just another couple... One can only wish that our own country was as kind and considerate as our neighbor to the north! Feel free to ask any questions.

Kevin

Vancouver is a beautiful city to be married in. And while we're not (yet) married, my dream is to get married on the ship while it is still in port (in Vancouver) and then have all our guests sail away with us on our honeymoon. Now, that would be cool!

To start, visit this link for info on getting married in BC.

Visit this link for a listing of marriage commissioners in Vancouver. I know from experience, that both Barbara Keogh and Johanna Hickey perform many same-sex marriages, and if I recall, one of them will even perform the ceremony on her home, which is especially nice for out-of-towners.

With most cruise line weddings, you need to use their wedding planners/coordinators. I know that on Princess (the line I have done the most research on), they will bring onboard a local marriage commissioner (from Vancouver or Victoria). Of note, all British Columbia wedding commissioners *must* perform same-sex marriages. Their is no discrimination allowed. I've met quite a few and most are pretty easy going (this is Vancouver after all).

That should get you started... I have done a bit of research into cruise line weddings, so if you have specific questions, send me an email by clicking here.

Good luck and congratulations!

Archived