Age Appropriate Cruise for 40somethings

tessar

My husband and I are trying to decide on a 2009 fall cruise somewhere in mid/eastern Europe; however, after looking through websites, brochures, books, and DVDs, we haven't found any cruiseline photos that resemble people in our age group.

Although, we enjoy the company of older people, we would like to spend our precious vacation time in the presence of 40s or 50s.

Can anyone suggest a cruiseline where the age tilt is younger as opposed to older?

Thanks in advance.

My husband and I are trying to decide on a 2009 fall cruise somewhere in mid/eastern Europe; however, after looking through websites, brochures, books, and DVDs, we haven't found any cruiseline photos that resemble people in our age group.

Although, we enjoy the company of older people, we would like to spend our precious vacation time in the presence of 40s or 50s.

Can anyone suggest a cruiseline where the age tilt is younger as opposed to older?

Thanks in advance.

I think the reason the river cruises tilt toward the over 55's is because they tend to be more expensive (many younger people don't mind driving and finding their own way around, so don't need the completely guided excursions every port) and they are frequently longer, so people would need more vacation days.

My husband and I (ages 66 and 60) took an Avalon cruise in April/May. The ages on our cruise ranged from 25 to the 80's ... we had couples in their late 40's/early 50's (well, let's put it that way, they looked like they were that age). We all mingled very well.

I always find that it is easy to mix with all ages on a ship where there are only 150 people on board.

Don't feel that just because you are in your 40's that you won't enjoy a trip like this. Give it a try!!! I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we did ... and we have become river cruise converts!!!

We are in our late 40s and have been cruising for years. The only cruises, other than RCL (haven't been on Carnival), where there have been people our age and younger have been the Galapagos and to Antarctica. Luckily, we don't mind cruising with the elderly (and they seem to like us). We do try to travel with friends our age, but most can't take the time off that we can.

As trips get longer and more expensive the average age of the passengers get older. Many people in their 40s and 50s are working and have limited vacation time or budgets.

Also people in those age groups can have families still at home so they travel during school vacations.

You haven't said what kind of trip you are planning - but if it is one of the larger river boats there should be some of your preferred age groups on board.

Also - some of the older folks will be seasoned travellers and they can be a great source of tips and info for your trip. Trips to Europe are so sightseeing and tour intensive that the time and energy for socializin is limited.

The only age range not represented on our recent Amadeus cruise was that of children and teens. There were people from all other ages. It is true that there were folks of retirement age, but there were lots of us who weren't. I noticed that there were many extended families traveling together which meant that there were many people in from 20-40. We even had a young couple in their 20s.

One night we were talking to some folks on a Viking boat, which was moored along side of ours, and they were complaining that most of their crowd was really old. On our Amadeus ship folks were up late dancing and socializing (not enough to disturb others).

We are 55 & 60. Last year was our first rivercruise Amadeus Amadagio AMS to BUD in June. Yes, 55 was "young" for the cruise but I never felt out of place and was welcomed by everyone as we mingled. Some cruisers were considerably senior than I but I found the experience to be a great one. I love speaking to more seniors than I. Their life experiences are just as rewarding, for me, as the cruise itself.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a rivercruise for someone in their 40's

DH & I have recently returned from Viking European Adventure, and when we walked in the lounge for "meeting" the first afternoon we got some very strange looks. We are in our early & late 40's. Most of the people we saw that first afternoon were considerably older. We did discover that there were about 10 or more other couple close to our ages on the boat, several of which were traveling with large family groups. Although many of the other travelers were older, they got around as good or better than some of us. Also, you did not hear them complain or whine about not being able to do this or that. Many people our age are so spoiled and pampered that they complain about EVERYTHING, how refreshing it was to be among people that enjoyed every aspect of the journey without complaining.:)

Archived