2008 Holland America Amsterdam 65 day Asia/Australia Voyage blog

TENNCruisers

We will be blogging the 2008 Asia & Australia 65 Day Voyage starting Sept. 19th 2008. The web site is http://2008asiaaucruise.thestansfields.com/. We invite you to follow along on this exciting voyage.

Some of you may have followed our blog for the 2007 GWV. We have put it in a new format for anyone who may care to look at it. The website for that one is http://2007gwv.thestansfields.com/.

Orlin and Barbara :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We will be blogging the 2008 Asia & Australia 65 Day Voyage starting Sept. 19th 2008. The web site is http://2008asiaaucruise.thestansfields.com/. We invite you to follow along on this exciting voyage.

Orlin & Barbara - What a fantastic blog you've created! Roxanne (arzz) has a thread "Cruising Grand on the Amsterdam" on the main HAL board & I'm reading her account as well. Her thread has a link to your blog, but I'm glad I've now found the source. Great job! :cool::cool:

• 1 month later...

Some of you may have followed our blog for the 2007 GWV. We have put it in a new format for anyone who may care to look at it. The website for that one is http://2007gwv.thestansfields.com/.

Orlin and Barbara :)

Orin and Barbara: Just a quick note to let you know how much I am enjoying your blog. I am at day 6. I am cruising Sun on the Westerdam so I think I will be able to finish it in the airport Friday while I wait for my plane. Thanks again.

Barbara & Orlin -

Your journal/blog is simply fabulous. Just the right combo of text & pics to keep it vibrant & interesting. You had an amazing adventure & I'm grateful that you took the time & $$$ to take me along. Wherever the library card went, so went I. Thanks for giving me 65 days of sailing, but regrettably, no Mariner Days.

And now I have a question: No holds barred, what is the condition of the Amsterdam? We board in March/09 to traverse South America enroute to Seattle. We'll be on for 38 days immediately before a 3-week scheduled drydock. I'm a tad concerned about the condition of the ship, not so much the public rooms but more the soft furnishings in the staterooms. Any comments? Many thanks! ;);)

We so enjoyed our Pacific-Australia 65 day cruise and how wonderful it is that you wrote such a great historical account of it. One of the most fun places on the Amsterdam on sea days was the Piano Bar with Steve Lynch. We met friends there every evening before or after the show and had barrels of fun singing along with Steve. Any news on some of the passengers that had medical emergencies and had to leave the ship?

We found the ship in very good condition. It is the cleanest ship around. Our room and our bed were perfectly comfortable. We had no problems whatsoever with the accomodations or the service. Would go again in a minute. I am sure that while in dry dock things will be updated, painted etc. but there was no diminsihed quality that we could see. Go, enjoy yourself. You will love it.

We found the ship in very good condition. It is the cleanest ship around. Our room and our bed were perfectly comfortable. We had no problems whatsoever with the accomodations or the service. Would go again in a minute. I am sure that while in dry dock things will be updated, painted etc. but there was no diminsihed quality that we could see. Go, enjoy yourself. You will love it.

We so enjoyed our Pacific-Australia 65 day cruise and how wonderful it is that you wrote such a great historical account of it. One of the most fun places on the Amsterdam on sea days was the Piano Bar with Steve Lynch. We met friends there every evening before or after the show and had barrels of fun singing along with Steve. Any news on some of the passengers that had medical emergencies and had to leave the ship?

Rev. Dick and his wife Barb Huber got off the ship at Maui. Barb thought that she had a stroke. Dick reports that tests have indicated that she did not, but they don't know why things happened as they did. They said the medical staff of the Amsterdam was terrific, Cruise Director, Bruce Scudder, technically Dick's boss as Chaplain, was extremely helpful. Nice to know isn't it?

Does anyone know what happened to the lady they took off in the helicopter in Japan?

Does anyone know what happened to the lady they took off in the helicopter in Japan?

Hi Village People - I'm not sure that the folks from your Grand Voyage are following this thread. You may have better luck reaching them on the Amsterdam Roll Call specifically for that sailing. You need to be signed in to Cruise Critic in order to access the thread below. Your fellow cruisers are already at 93 pages of posts from pre-planning the trip to welcome homes. Hope it works for you. ;);)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=457434&page=92

Rev. Dick and his wife Barb Huber got off the ship at Maui. Barb thought that she had a stroke. Dick reports that tests have indicated that she did not, but they don't know why things happened as they did. They said the medical staff of the Amsterdam was terrific, Cruise Director, Bruce Scudder, technically Dick's boss as Chaplain, was extremely helpful. Nice to know isn't it?

Thanks for the update on Rev Dick and Barbara. We did not know why they had left the ship. Dick told us that the woman who left the ship had a stroke and was not doing very well but that was a week after it happened and we have no idea what has occurred since then.

Thanks to all for the good words about the blog.

We were in San Diego until Thanksgiving and since we have been back we have been catching up on all the mail, Christmas decorating, cards etc and trying to get ready for our annual open house next weekend. When we are not so busy we will be more active on the message boards.

We have just started to read some of the other blogs about our cruise and are enjoying all of them.

Orlin and Barbara

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Olin & Barbara:

I have found your blog to be the most enjoyable ever. I happened across this thread while finding something to do/read while at work. Hehehe, yes at work as work came to somewhat of a stand still. I took me 3 1/2 days to read the whole blog. I felt like I was with you on this fabulous cruise.

The only entry I was not able to view was Day 40 while docked in Perth Australia. I would appreciate if you could email this as I've loved to finish up on your GWV. My email is adamsfly@bellsouth.net

Many thanks for posting.

Archived