Getting from NYC to Boston with wheelchair and luggage

AAL

My parents are planning to take a cruise out of Boston after a visit to NYC. Dad is now in a wheelchair -- he can transfer to a car, but can't walk or climb steps. Amtrak might be a possibility, but would dealing with the luggage at the train stations be an issue?

Any ideas on the easiest way to get them and their luggage from NYC to the pier in Boston would be appreciated.

I'd go with Amtrak. You can get assistance in both NY and Boston. Just be prepared to tip for it.

Are you putting them on the train in NY or will they be on their own? I'm not sure how to get a red cap/wheelchair in Penn Station, but I'm sure you can find out from Amtrak. The red caps will take you down to the platform in an elevator and will help them board the train. They will also pre-board you, so you don't have to worry about rushing. Either the train originates in NY or it has a 20 minute layover.

The conductor should be able to get you a wheelchair/red cap in Boston to take you out to the taxis.

Thanks for the response. They will be on their own, so I'm recommending that they stay at a hotel near Penn Station and figure out the details the day before they travel to Boston.

I'd discuss it with Amtrak ahead of time just to be clear about what to expect and where to go at Penn Station. Are they traveling with a wheelchair? It might be good to rent one just to have for all the transfers as well as on the ship. It sounds like they will be making multiple transfers and they will need it on the ship as well.

I'm more familiar with Boston - they should have no problem there as long as they arrive during the day. The train arrives at street level and all they have to do is to get from the train track around to the cab area.

I don't know if this is the type of info you are looking for but I can tell you from my experience that the type of luggage you use can greatly improve your mobility. For instance I just upgraded our luggage to the type with 4 wheels and it was sooo much easier for me to handle in the airport.

My hubby is a quad and uses an electric wheelchair therefore all of the luggage handling is left up to me. On our last trip I was able to easily handle two rolling bags (the kind with the 4 wheels) in one hand and another rolling bag (the kind with just two wheels and has to be tilted) in the other.

On our next cruise I will be replacing the two wheel bag with the another 4 wheel bag because it was just so much easier to handle and it didn't put any strain on my arms because you do not have to tilt them to roll.

Just a thought : ) Hope your parents have a good time. Shawna

• 1 month later...

We just changed trains in Penn Station coming from a cruise ending in Montreal, heading back to Philly, and the transfer was a breeze. They can get a redcap as soon as they get to Penn to assist them with luggage, and then the conductor can get one for them in Boston. Much easier than flying!

Archived