Advisory : HAL Refund Policy

flatraffic

We originally booked with HAL direct, as we have done in the past, completing the last payment about five months before sailing.

Since then, we found a significantly lower price for the same ship, deck, and cabin class through an agent.

When we tried to have the trip transferred to the agent, we were told by HAL that we could not because we had already paid in full.

We are multi-trip customers of HAL and Princess (Carnival Corporation), but there was no value assigned to our repeat business. A request to speak with anyone in customer care that could negotiate was met with giving us a mailing address in Seattle.

Buyer be aware.

Since then, we found a significantly lower price for the same ship, deck, and cabin class through an agent.
Is the difference enough that you could cancel and do a completely new booking? (Assuming you took the HAL "cancel for any reason" CPP.)

I don't know of anyone, TA's or Cruise Lines, that will mess with pricing after final payment.

Sorry you didn't know that - it can be a pricey lesson.

If one makes final payment 5 months before sailing then pricing can certainly be adjusted before the cancellation charges begin...On a recent HAL cruise we made final payment about 10 days before the cancellation charges took effect...When prices were reduced shortly after final payment we contacted our TA and received a substanial reduction from HAL...Always check when the cancellation charges begin regardless if you have already made final payment.

We originally booked with HAL direct, as we have done in the past, completing the last payment about five months before sailing.

When we tried to have the trip transferred to the agent, we were told by HAL that we could not because we had already paid in full.

We are multi-trip customers of HAL and Princess (Carnival Corporation), but there was no value assigned to our repeat business. A request to speak with anyone in customer care that could negotiate was met with giving us a mailing address in Seattle.

Buyer be aware.

Without all the facts, I'm a little confused... Are you past the final payment date at this point??? If not, you can get a refund, if so, this particular policy is the same for all cruise lines, no switching to an agent after final payment date. All in all, it doesn't sound like a "refund" issue.:confused:

Why would you make final payment five months before it is due? It sets you up for all sorts of things just like this.

Seeing as you obviously had the money, put it in an interest bearing account for the five months and earn a few dollars on it.

Sorry you encountered this situation but hopefully many have learned from it.

JMO......

Why would you make final payment five months before it is due? It sets you up for all sorts of things just like this.

It may be helpful in locking in air transport if air is booked through HAL or if the fare includes air. Once "final payment" is received, HAL can start the appropriate negotiations with the carriers. The longer the wait, the greater the possibility of a convoluded routing. Other than these reasons, I can't think of any others.

this is a little confusing.

If I want to transfer a direct booking to a TA I can only do so before:

A. I make my payment in full

or

B. The Final payment Date has arrived

Can somebody clarify?

Thanks!

It may be helpful in locking in air transport if air is booked through HAL or if the fare includes air. Once "final payment" is received, HAL can start the appropriate negotiations with the carriers. The longer the wait, the greater the possibility of a convoluded routing. Other than these reasons, I can't think of any others.

I don't think that would be a factor. HAL never advises flight info until much, much later than 5 months out. We're only assuming the OP is even using HAL air. I don't recall they saying anything about that.

There may be some obvious advantage to paying so far in advance but I'm at a loss to figure out what it is.

There may be some obvious advantage to paying so far in advance but I'm at a loss to figure out what it is.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I saved over $1000 by paying when I did just by virtue of currency exchange rate changes. (Ok, I don't advise everyone else to 'gamble' on such things, but DW is 'in the money business', and got it right). We also locked into very early Business Class airfares the day they became available, and saved ourselves about $1600 that way....

Tim

WElcome to Cruise Critic.

What was the reason you made final payment 5 months (or more) before the cruise?

Were you one of the people who booked air through HAL and they told you that in order to keep the air price at the rate they quoted you, you had to make final payment?

I don't think that would be a factor. HAL never advises flight info until much, much later than 5 months out. We're only assuming the OP is even using HAL air. I don't recall they saying anything about that.

We are currently booked with HAL for the Volendam in January and went ahead and booked the HAL air also, not the usual thing with us, but it was such a good deal at the time we took it. Our final payment is not due until October. Now our TA tells us HAL is "urgently" asking for final payment now in order to lock in our airfares and guard against any airfare increase. I sure understand fuel charge increase and certainly expect there will be some to come. Has anyone else gotten this? Just wondering is we should go ahead and make the final payment now or wait. Thanks for any feedback.

I don't know if the OP is using Hal air, but apparently Hal is asking for full payment months out. Gsel's post is from June.

I don't know if the OP is using Hal air, but apparently Hal is asking for full payment months out.

We have a number of future cruises and we are definitely not scheduled for final payment anything near like five months in advance. Our final payments are dated the same as we are all accustomed to.

We do not do HAL air. We don't know if OP is using HAL air or not./B]

I didn't assume the OP was using HAL air. I was trying to speculate on a possible answer to the question you asked based on what has been posted by others regarding using HAL air. While I do understand that HAL does not advise what the air arrangements are, it is possible for HAL to use the final payment to tentatively confirm bookings with the airlines. I am also at a loss as to what other advantage may exist.

As Gsel's post says, Hal wanted full payment to lock in airfare.

Yes. But OP's post does not mention air. We are only speculating as pertains to OP.

Hope OP returns and 'fills in the blanks'.

I didn't assume the OP was using HAL air. I was trying to speculate on a possible answer to the question you asked based on what has been posted by others regarding using HAL air. While I do understand that HAL does not advise what the air arrangements are, it is possible for HAL to use the final payment to tentatively confirm bookings with the airlines. I am also at a loss as to what other advantage may exist.

Understood. Speculation. :) I'm interested in the reason and hope OP explains.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I saved over $1000 by paying when I did just by virtue of currency exchange rate changes. (Ok, I don't advise everyone else to 'gamble' on such things, but DW is 'in the money business', and got it right). We also locked into very early Business Class airfares the day they became available, and saved ourselves about $1600 that way....

Tim

The exchange rate perspective is interesting, I hadn't thought about that. The BC air is independent of making an early payment, as far as I can tell.

I don't know if the OP is using Hal air, but apparently Hal is asking for full payment months out. Gsel's post is from June.

I've run into a case recently (July) for a trip scheduled in Dec. on our roll call where one of the posters had booked HAL air and was "encouraged" to pay early to lock in the air.

Let me see if I can address everyone's questions.

No HAL air. No need.

By the time I cancel and rebook what would have been my savings from the T/A are nonexistant.

What bothers me the most is HAL's "too bad, so sad" mentality.

As we said before, this is being chalked up as a lesson learned. I know to do a little more homework in the future.

Let me see if I can address everyone's questions.

No HAL air. No need.

By the time I cancel and rebook what would have been my savings from the T/A are nonexistant.

What bothers me the most is HAL's "too bad, so sad" mentality.

As we said before, this is being chalked up as a lesson learned. I know to do a little more homework in the future.

When was your final payment date? Did you have travel insurance on the booking???? If so, through who??? The answers to those questions can make all the difference in the world.

Archived