Cunard fan, I need help!

EssexGary

Hi! I am a confirmed Cunard-aholic. I can't stop booking the QM2, in fact, I love everything about it. But I also realise that I should spread my wings - and I remember that I had a great time on Mercury in Alaska about 11 years ago (37 yrs old now). So I dipped my toe into the Celebrity website.. it looks nice. But I'm scared. I am thinking of the Solstice in Jan 09, and maybe Millenium to Australia in Jan 10. But I have some questions.. and maybe you die-hard fans can help.

- how do Celebrity compare for finesse and style to Cunard? Are they just great big gin-palaces with buffet hungry holiday-makers? (present company excepted, of course :D )

- Are the millenium/century class ships shabby? is it worth only booking the new ones?

- What can you say to me to help me break my Cunard (my very expenisve, Cunard) habit!!??

Thank you??!

Gary (about to book a QM2 transatlantic in Nov if you guys can't help me!:o )

Are the millenium/century class ships shabby? is it worth only booking the new ones?

My personal experience on one M-class ship (Infinity) a year ago is that she was in excellent shape. However, I just saw some photos of a Millennium cabin on another cruise forum website and must say that those photos look terrible. They were of a cabin on the Millennium April 2008 cruise.

I think I read that the Millennium will be having a drydock next spring, but other posters will likely be able to give you better information about that.

We were on the Millennium in April 2008, CC in cabin 6135; and everything was very nice. The balcony, in teak, was probably about 130-150 square feet. The food and service were all excellent. As you probably are aware, Berlitz rates the M class in CC, and above at 1697, or just three points shy of its luxury threshold designation.

Hey Essex Gary:

I felt the same way when I booked QM2 after having sailed numerous times on Celebrity!

Now, taste is a very individual thing but I found the interior fit, finish and furnishings far inferior on QM2 as compared to Celebrity. In fact, I was quite startled at the "feel" of my feet on QM2's staircases which were obviously sheet metal with carpeting and no real underpad. While I liked the corridors linking the atrium to the Brittania, I really was underwhelmed by the rest of the ship. The main dining room food on QM2, however, is far superior to that found on Celebrity.

M class ships have a superb covered pool and spa/spa cafe and the a la carte restaurant puts Todd English to shame in both decor and food quality. Frankly, I just didn't "buy into" the whole Cunard thing.

Whether you agree or not, I do agree with your statement to "spread your wings". Strangely enough, Celebrity has been in my bad books for quite some time - the way that they handled a complaint of mine and the lack of perks after 25 cruises with them has left me cranky, indeed.

But this treatment pushed me to try RCI, Princess, NCl and ...QM2!

All of these cruises had many different things to recommend them and I don't regret a single one. While I am 45, at age 37 you're far too young to become calcified in your choices!

Now, more confused than ever?!

I've sailed on both lines and to be quite honest, I was very disappointed in the QM2. We were in a QG suite, and dined in the Queen's Grill and just about everything about the experience we found to be below Celebrity. We were disappointed that the menu in the QG was the same as in the main dining room----yes I know they had the ala carte menu, but when you pay those prices, you expect to have a totally different menu. We found the service throughout the ship to be less than good (when I went to the "help desk" in the computer center, the person at the desk told me to "figure it out yourself" when I asked for assistance in opening an internet account). On all our Celebrity cruises, service has been extraordinary. The food on the QM2 in the buffet was not good, and the buffet area was quite dirty. You don't find that on an X ship.

As for the "gin palace" comment, I believe you're confusing Celebrity with another cruise line. This is not a party till you barf line. Celebrity is a line of understated elegance, excellent service and above average food. If you choose to dine in one of the alternate restaurants on their M Class ships, the dining experience is beyond expectations.

Thank you everyone for your honesty. I really appreciate your comments. I think that we will go for the Solstice as a first step in Jan 09. You're all probably right, Cunard are experts in Marketing and do a great job in securing your loyalty - it's amazing how I happily let them off the hook with so many below-standard service issues when I wouldn't accept it with anything else in my life. I will be strong! :)

Hi I am also a great cunard fan loved the QM2. We are going on Celeb galaxy in 2 weeks so will be able to report further to you on our return. Like you we have concerns mainly about the standard of cabins and ambience. We loved the Aft deck on QM2 but think Galaxy is more central and seems hemmed in. I have to say the one big difference so far is the customer service. Cunard will help and answer any question you have promptly and efficiently but Celebrity dont get back to you and on the couple of times i have phoned them i have found them to be very unhelpfull, when booking i also found them to seem unenthusiastic perhaps they should get some training from Cunard.;)

- how do Celebrity compare for finesse and style to Cunard? Are they just great big gin-palaces with buffet hungry holiday-makers? (present company excepted, of course :D )

- What can you say to me to help me break my Cunard (my very expenisve, Cunard) habit!!??

Thank you??!

As for the finesse and style - they are close in that regard. There may be a few more things to do on board the Celebrity ships. I don't think the other part is suited to this line - it would be more suited to other lines.

I would say the lines are comparable in style and grace. Celebrity does seem to have the upper hand in food and service.

Also like I said a few more ship activities.

I've sailed on both lines and to be quite honest, I was very disappointed in the QM2. We were in a QG suite, and dined in the Queen's Grill and just about everything about the experience we found to be below Celebrity.

I have sailed on both lines too, once on each. QM2 in a QG Suite as well. Service at the QG restaurant was far to be as good as the Main Dinning room on the Constellation. On QM2: twice I didn't get my order of wine with my meal (the sommelier forgot), twice I tried to order from a la carte menu and was told I had to order for the follow night, ordering iced tea was a major task for the waiters, etc., the list goes on.

Grandsix said "food is subjective" and I agree, so won't go there.

BTW, these issues did not ruin my cruise. I enjoyed it to the max....

The cabin attendant on the Connie was as good as the "butler" on QG. Both have their tacky "gold by the inch sales" on their corridors, so no difference there.:rolleyes:

Evening shows were good on both lines, night club was equaly lively on both. No "hairychest" contest on either line -soo glad.

I like both lines, and would consider both based on itinerary then price.

Hope this helps

Some random thoughts:

QM2 was a very nice ship & very elegant...but the food & service on Celebrity are much better! very attentive staff

other than for a TA , I found QM2 to have a very closed in feeling whereas Celebrity ships are just the right combo of interior space & views to the sea...much less area to cover getting to various spots & I like the Cova areas better than where the strings play on QM2--a very small space...

The Canyon ranch spa on QM2 is much better than Celeb Spa-- better steam room choices & the great T pool- Also appreciated the Art collection on QM2 & the library , most of the QM 2 stores are for browsing--too expensive for the avergae cruiser..

-

overall you will enjoy Celeb if you like QM2--it is a bit less stuffy but quite elegant.. If you try it it'll be interesting to hear what your fedback is!

We have sailed Celebrity many times and Regent many times. Regent has an edge but for the money it should. It doesnt stop us from sailing Celebrity.

Earlier this year we decided to try QM2 in Queens Grill. I have to say it was not an experience I would repeat. The service was well below standards we are used to and the food was unimaginative and generally served cold. We personally do not like the Todd English slant on the food.

Other areas of QM2 were terrible especially the incredibly badly designed Kings Court buffet area, the queues were long and the food poor. The shopping areas with the stacked up $10 merchandise was chaos with pax who spent ££££s /$$$$ on the cruise fighting over rubbish!

The staff ( not all but most ) never gave eye contact or spoke in passing, something we have never experienced before.

QM2 is not a cruise ship, it was designed to cross the Atlantic and does not have the layout of a typical cruise ship.

There was not one measurable that put QM2 anywhere near Celebrity. If this was the only cruise line someone had travelled they may think its great, but in comparison to Celebrity it is not.

Well, I decided to take the plunge folks. Solstice booked for jan 2nd 09. It will be our first venture off cunard for almost 3 years.

Strangely, late dining already waitlisted!! Any tips on how to get late dining? I absolutely can't stand early... We are in an aqua class cabin so get to eat in blu but I would like to try the main dining room too. It looks lovely. Wish me luck with the cruise... And thanks again for your advice.

Quick update: we booked solstice for Jan 2nd 09 cruise! This will be our first venture off cunard for 3 years. Wish us luck!

Oh, 2nd sitting already waitlisted?? Anyone got any tips? I really don't like early sitting...

Thanks for all your advice and I look forward to joining the celebrity fab club!

Gary

If you are not a Captain's Club member (i.e. repeat X cruiser) your only choice is to board the ship as early as possible, go to the dining room with your seating assignment (in your cabin) and make your request known to the maitre d'. If that doesn't work, talk to the maitre d' after your first meal, (someone is bound to change from 2nd to 1st seating). Be careful where they seat you; there are some BAD places to be seated (at least on Millie and Summit). Next time you sail, book very early, make your preferences know at boking and check back several times pre-booking to ensure you get what you want.

If you are not a Captain's Club member (i.e. repeat X cruiser) your only choice is to board the ship as early as possible, go to the dining room with your seating assignment (in your cabin) and make your request known to the maitre d'. If that doesn't work, talk to the maitre d' after your first meal, (someone is bound to change from 2nd to 1st seating). Be careful where they seat you; there are some BAD places to be seated (at least on Millie and Summit). Next time you sail, book very early, make your preferences know at boking and check back several times pre-booking to ensure you get what you want.

Be careful where they seat you; there are some BAD places to be seated (at least on Millie and Summit).

Please share where, exactly, are the "BAD:confused: places" to be seated on Millie... I've only sailed once on Infinity and never on Millie and would like the inside scoop on those bad places...

Thanks!

Archived