Snorkeling from shore?!

robinh00d

Hi,

We will be in George Town the next 14 August with the Mariner of the Sea.

We booked a Capt. Marvin excursion for Stingray City and coral reef snorkeling; the excursion ends at 11.45 am and we must be on the ship for the 4.00pm.

So we have few hours to explore the near areas;

What we can't miss?

There are some place to do a good snorkeling directly from the shore?

Any other tips?! :)

Thanks to all answers!!:D

Robin - the best way to snorkel off shore is to rent a car for the day. You could rent a car and drive it over to Capt Marvin and then have it for after the tour.

You could also just go to Seven Mile Beach and hang out for the afternoon.

If you rent a car Rum Point is beautiful and at the other end of the Island.

GC is a safe and beautiful Island - enjoy

Robin - the best way to snorkel off shore is to rent a car for the day. You could rent a car and drive it over to Capt Marvin and then have it for after the tour.

You could also just go to Seven Mile Beach and hang out for the afternoon.

If you rent a car Rum Point is beautiful and at the other end of the Island.

GC is a safe and beautiful Island - enjoy

Thank you for the answer!

Are there rental car near the pier?

Rum Point is the most beautiful point to do snorkeling fro the shore?

Thanks again! :)

There is a car rental pick up accross the street from the pier, I believe its the Purple Iguana - when you call the car rental places they will let you know. We have used Avis and Budget, I just go with whoever has the best deal. They pick you up there and then take you over to the airport where you rent the car, it is very quick and easy

Rum Point is beautiful but not the best for snorkeling; I'll go into the office tonight and pull out my map and pick a few for you. It's too early and my morning coffee has not kicked in yet :)

There is a car rental pick up accross the street from the pier, I believe its the Purple Iguana - when you call the car rental places they will let you know. We have used Avis and Budget, I just go with whoever has the best deal. They pick you up there and then take you over to the airport where you rent the car, it is very quick and easy

Rum Point is beautiful but not the best for snorkeling; I'll go into the office tonight and pull out my map and pick a few for you. It's too early and my morning coffee has not kicked in yet :)

Thank you for the answer! :)

Here is late afternoon and i'm full of coffee now... ;)

Since you won't have a lot of time after your excursion I suggest that you snorkel at the Eden Rock area. It is walking distance to the ships and they have better snorkeling then you will find in most areas of 7 mile beach. They do not have a beach there but they do have lockers for your stuff.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Since you won't have a lot of time after your excursion I suggest that you snorkel at the Eden Rock area. It is walking distance to the ships and they have better snorkeling then you will find in most areas of 7 mile beach. They do not have a beach there but they do have lockers for your stuff.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Hi, I will be there on 8/26 on the Inspiration and want to snorkel near the ship also. You said Eden Rock doesn't have a beach, is it rocky in the water or sandy? Should we bring our own gear? Is there a restaurant there?

Thanks for the help, it will be my first time to GC.

Kathy

Robin: I have had my coffee and worked a full day, now I am on wine :) I had to get home to my wonderful GC map and now I have my bearings straight

Smith Cove is a nice area with a little sand area and then a nice snorkel area, there are also divers but it's not a problem.

Betty Bay Point is also nice for snorkeling right from the shore

You will go by both of these areas on your way to Rum Point. Once at Rum point you will have to come back around (you can not go all the way around the Island) but at this point I usually cut through the center of the Island at (A4)

A3 (their highway) takes you all the way around by the ocean, beautiful sites and lots of cute beaches along the way. A4 is cut through the center of the Island and after Rum Point would be an easy way to get back to the shopping area.

I would make sure that you go through 7 mile beach, not so much for snorkeling, its worth taking a walk and jumping in the water.

Others here have mentioned Eden Rock, which has some decent snorkeling but very rocky. If you are renting a car, I would skip over Eden Rock as you can get to much better snorkeling due to the vehicle. Plus a lot of people use Eden so it will be very crowded

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, let me know and I'll do my best to help out - after my coffee of course :D

KK - I actually have not snorkeled there. It was on the list of things I wanted to do there when we spent a week there in July but we never made it so I can't tell you exactly what it is like in the water - only drove past. They rent gear there or you can bring your own and Paradise Cafe is right next door. I am going to have to go back for another week to fit in all of the things that I didn't get to do this time.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Robin: I have had my coffee and worked a full day, now I am on wine :) I had to get home to my wonderful GC map and now I have my bearings straight

Smith Cove is a nice area with a little sand area and then a nice snorkel area, there are also divers but it's not a problem.

Betty Bay Point is also nice for snorkeling right from the shore

You will go by both of these areas on your way to Rum Point. Once at Rum point you will have to come back around (you can not go all the way around the Island) but at this point I usually cut through the center of the Island at (A4)

A3 (their highway) takes you all the way around by the ocean, beautiful sites and lots of cute beaches along the way. A4 is cut through the center of the Island and after Rum Point would be an easy way to get back to the shopping area.

I would make sure that you go through 7 mile beach, not so much for snorkeling, its worth taking a walk and jumping in the water.

Others here have mentioned Eden Rock, which has some decent snorkeling but very rocky. If you are renting a car, I would skip over Eden Rock as you can get to much better snorkeling due to the vehicle. Plus a lot of people use Eden so it will be very crowded

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, let me know and I'll do my best to help out - after my coffee of course :D

Thank you for the answer! Very kind!! :)

Personally, I'd skip the rental car and Rum Point if you've got a morning excursion already booked. It's about 45 minutes (or more if there's traffic) each way to Rum Point, so if you aren't back until noon and have to be back on the ship by 3:30 for the 4pm departure, you'll use up most of your afternoon driving. Rum Point is really a full-day excursion of its own...and the snorkelling is only okay (or so my DH says, I'm not a snorkeller myself).

If you want to do some shore snorkelling after your excursion, just walk over to Eden Rock. It's a lot easier overall, and you'll be much happier in the long run if you spend your time actually snorkelling rather than rushing from one side of the island to the other. :D Or, pop over to Royal Palms on Seven Mile Beach and enjoy some beach time and beverages, since you'll have spent the morning snorkelling with the stingrays...

We did a boat excursion from Freedom of Seas that only took you out a short trip from the pier - lots of boat traffic. I have heard about Sunset House, about 1 mi south of George Town, supposed to have a very nice shore snorkel experience for free. Has anyone been there? We will be there in Sept.

• 2 months later...

As I read on I see a lot of Eden Rock fans..If you just go a little further south you'll come to Sunsethouse Dive resort. They've actually made a pool in the rock shore, which is excessable by steps going down into the shallow water. Great for new/beginner snorkelers to gain their confidence before venturing out to deeper waters by way of an opening going out to the ocean and great snorkeling area.

Sunsethouse also has there own restaurant and " My Bar " lounge. People go there and snorkel some and then enjoy the lounge or restaurant, and then snorkel some more. The locals frequent this place too..

They rent snorkel gear of all kinds, and " Mike " is the mans name that manages the dive shop, and I know first hand that he's a fun guy to meet.

We're going there in April and plan to spend most of the day there..

Since you already have one excursion, skip the rental car and skip Rum Point.

There are a couple of places to rent gear at Eden Rock and there is a restaurant there and a number of places to eat in the area. It is only a couple of blocks from the tender docks.

A longer walk, but not bad, in the opposite direction and you can snorkel the wreck of the Cali.

Here is a decent guide to shore snorkeling.

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

A few pics from Eden Rock area:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/valor_06/GC/gc_3.htm

Some from when I went walking from the tender area toward the Cali and beyond:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/gc_dec_2005.htm

just in case you need yet another answer to confirm what the others are saying....

If you want to do some shore snorkeling after your excursion, skip rum point, 7 mile beach, and even thinking of a rental car.

Best bet is to just get Captain Marvin's transportation back and head to Eden Rock area by foot - or have them drop you off there. Go either from the Paradise restaurant (about 200 yards south of the tender docks) or Eden Rock Dive Center (about 75 yards further). You can rent equipment there and the Eden Rock dive center has places to rinse your equipment and yourself before you head back to the ship (Paradise might too but I'm not sure). Just be sure to ask the people there to point out where the good reefs are before you head in as you do need to swim out about 100 yards or so. There are some buoys out for reference. There will some nice fish and a little to look at closer in, but you really do want to get over the good reefs there.

I've never been to the Sunset dive area and bar mentioned above but are considering it this coming year. I understand it is about 1/2 mile further than Eden Rock area.

I absolutely love the first location you posted. Its the first link. Thats in the turtle farm?? Is it expensive to go there??

Not sure if you are asking me.

There are a few pictures from Turtle Reef area near Turtle Farm:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/valor_06/GC/gc_2.htm

It's a $2.50 bus ride and snorkeling is free if you have your own equipment.

Next time I try that area, I might go from Macabuca:

http://www.crackedconch.com.ky/

Yup Nola! Thats the place! It looks fantastic?? do they rent out equipment there???

I don't know if that location of Dive Tech is still open or not or if it became something else. Or if they rented snorkle equipment.

You can call/email them and ask:

http://www.divetech.com/

They were friendly and gladly answered all of my questions.

Hello Everyone, Jay & Nancy at Dive Tech are super people & very experienced divers! You really can't do better than them on GCM, they have two locations, one at Cobalt Coast ~ a very very good dive resort ( they are very helpful here too) & a new spot that Dive Tech just opened up.. Sunset House is also a super dive resort on same island. Great people good diving & the bar is a fun place to meet up & relax after the dive or snorkel. Its a tough pick for just one day but no matter which location you pick on GCM, you won't be disappointed! :D

• 1 month later...

Archived