Antigua on Christmas day

killface

Hey folks,

I've seen only a couple posts from CCers who've mentioned that they were there on Christmas day, but so far I haven't found information beyond which beaches they visited or whose tour they were on. Grammar Goddess has almost convinced me to book with Gordon as I'd hate to find few cabs available that day.

What can I expect? Is St. Johns a ghost town, or is the same ol' congregation of tour guides, taxis etc. at port. That being said, should I expect a particularly busy beach day or do locals stay away from the beach on Christmas day.

Perhaps this is more of a question for the locals (Kayge and bungieantigua) but this is the big port-of-call for me.

I'm looking at getting Gordon or someone he knows to pick myself and my DGF in the AM for a trip to (in our hopes) a secluded beach. I haven't found the beach yet, but I'm looking for one for a great photo-op. We don't need chairs, umbrellas or even a bar (the first time in my life I've ever said that) as I'm going to be packing Champagne. We're not likely to be there for too long (probably straight back on-board for lunch) and it's possible we won't even be swimming.

I'm really looking for a very 'special' spot on the island, but I can understand if you don't want to share your secrets ;)

If you're comfortable letting me in on one (but perhaps not interested in telling the whole interweb) perhaps e-mail me at glass.top.cohiba AT gmail DOT com

Thanks a bunch in advance

Probably a realistic expectation. ;)

What's Christmas Day like in your town?

Bustling economic activity? No?

My town's biggest day of the year is Christmas day for economic activity. It's almost impossible to get a parking spot or a seat at a restaurant.

Cabs also run at half-force because the cab companies can't increase the rates for 1-day a year, so hardly anyone wants to work.

It happens to be a ski-town, and the local equivalent to their beaches (our hills) have their busiest day on Christmas day.

There are a lot of businesses open that day in our town to serve the influx of tourists... I'm going to play it safe and assume every thing is closed in St. Johns, which is why I didn't ask about that stuff.

Thanks very much for your response. :rolleyes:

Barbados and Antigua are not dis-similar culturally. There is a pretty conservative strong Anglican tradition. Antigua has a lot of churchs, RC, Anglican, Moravian - quite diverse.

While locals may be beaching in the PM, its unlikely that there will be much activity otherwise. Personally (don't take me as religious in the traditional sense) I'd go to church. You commune with the locals in a big way doing that.

If any car rental places are open, I might do that (probably would for sure) but I'd hit a church then see where that leads to.

Personally (don't take me as religious in the traditional sense) I'd go to church.

You commune with the locals in a big way doing that.

If any car rental places are open, I might do that (probably would for sure)

but I'd hit a church then see where that leads to.

You might get invited to a Christmas Lunch!! :):)

And don't underestimate that event!

Church on Christmas? How novel!!

Great suggestion - if I was going for any length of time and for any other reason I'd be there for sure. Unfortunately it's going to be a big day for me, and as I suffer from extreme bouts of anal retentivity, I don't want to leave anything to chance that can be dealt with before hand.

I want to have a prearranged pick-up/driver, a route and a destination well before actually getting to the island. I think I'm going to arrange most of it with Gordon and do a 2-person tour with someone he recommends. The bulk of the tour will be a stop at the beach. I think I know which beach now, but it's definitely going to need some more research before I set my heart on it.

Thanks for everyone's help, if anyone else has some practical experience on Antigua on Christmas day I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks again

If Nelson's Dockyard is open that day (it's over on their South Coast)

and if you like yachts and a bit of history all tied together

taking a tour over that way is interesting...and scenic

IMG_7781.jpg

Windlassesthree.jpg

You're looking at three giant windlasses, used to winch boats alongside.

IMG_7784.jpg

hey Killface,

Although I can't help you with your dilemma (I'll be in Antigua on Boxing day, coincidentally) I get your drift, and wanted to say congratulations, and good luck with the planning! I'm sure it will go perfectly :)

Thanks Megnolia!

From what I've gathered, I should plan for nothing to be open and no cabs to be available.

But from what I've researched, it sounds like I can expect quite a bit to be available that caters towards the tastes of cruisers. I would guess it to be a similar mix of shops and attractions that you'll get the next day. Unfortunately I don't have any specifics, but I'm playing it safe and arranging a tour that shouldn't disappoint in the event that nothing is open.

I've opted to arrange our own private tour with Gordon tourinfo@tourguidegordon.com . He responded within a couple days and seems happy to get the opportunity 'to show us his beautiful island', even though I was clear when I said if he's interested in a day of rest on Christmas, I completely understand and respect that. Now all I need to do is write an itinerary.

Thanks aplmac for the great shots of Nelson's Dockyard. The bulk of the tour should be on the Southern part of the island, so I can't see why I wouldn't try to squeeze in at least a quick walk through. I also don't see how they could 'close' (as in prevent tourists from walking through) the entire area, so I'm looking forward to that. Certainly Shirley heights is something I want to experience, and I think I'll leave it up to our driver to provide some highlights beyond that.

Again, I figure the bulk of my time will be the drive to the beach, actually walking to the beach and whatever time we choose to spend on the sand, so everything after that is just bonus in my mind.

Thanks again for all your help!

Hello there

Im sorry I posted a bit late on this one. Generally speaking st johns will be very quiet on christmas day with just a few shops open, but as a ship is in you will find taxis available at the port. With reagrds to places being open we do a buffet style traditional christmas dinner every year. However im guessing you have something 'special' planned for the day so you could ither head over to Nelsons dockyard which is always one of the best palces to be. Losts of locals and ex pats go there for the day losts of food and drink and live music. However for a fantsic beach one of my favorites I would suggest Half moon bay. Im sure Harry will be open and you get a lot of families picniking. If you want a completly deserted beach email me on sandhavenantigua@yahoo.com and I will give you directions. The beach dosnt have a name that I know of but if you give the directions Gordon may take you there, and belive me it is spectacular and very few people know about it !!!!!

If you are sporty enough for equine activity...

Contact Springhill Riding Club in Falmouth (a mile or so west of Nelson's Dockyard)

estonj@candw.ag

http://www.springhillridingclub.com

See if the stables are open to trail riders Christmas morning. If so, do a ride that includes a beach ride on Rendez-vous Bay...

Then, there is a Champagne Party presently scheduled at Nelson's Dockyard beginning mid-day 12/25...

Ride n' Imbibe - in that order (since you're not the Church going type :D)

Archived