Burgundy and Provence

qmcmret

Thinking about a Uniworld Burgundy and Provence cruise next May. Has anyone recently returned and if so how was it? Whichever cruise line you used doesn't matter, just want to know about the trip. Thanks.....:)

I'm also considering a similar river '(in June '09), but with Amadeus Waterways. I love Amadeus--this will be my third with them. And a good value. (The Amadeus cruise will be $2399 in June, and my TA gets me 10% off this...so it's a pretty good deal.) I will be anxious to see the replies on this post, as I know very little about the towns along this cruise.

We are considering the Uniworld Enchanting Danube in June '09. Our TA has suggested to us. We have taken 11 cruises, this will be our first river cruise. Would appreciate any information about this type of cruise and the area.

Recently returned from the Viking Burgundy Provence/Burgundy trip. This is a wonderful intinerary that blends the beauty of Provence with the bounty of Burgundy. Throughout the trip, the ancient ruins of the Roman age provide the backdrop.

Briefly, we flew into Marseilles and were bused (comfortably) to Avingnon (about 45 minutes). Avingnon is a fabulous city along the Rhone - home to the ancient Palais de Popes and several Roman sites in fine form.

We then sailed south to Arles, home to Van Gogh and perhaps the spiritual center of Provence. Arles is another eminently walkable town centered by the Roman amplitheatre - still used for bullfighting (non-lethal) today. Good stop for supplies at a supermarket nearby the quay. Pick-up some water and wine here - the boat crew was doing the same!

The infamous La Mistral was active here durng our visit - be prepared for very strong winds along the quayside.

Next was Vienne, which was a favorite of ours. Yet another wonderful old town with a vibrant pedestrian center filled with cafes and bistros. Check out the TI booth quayside for great souvenirs, maps, tips, and internet access.

From Vienne, sit topside for the beautiful sail through Provence. Tain Hermitage will appear along the famed hillside vineyards later.

Another brief stop later this evening was Viviers - don't miss this stop! Viviers is a tiny hillside town along the Rhone. We had a evening (after dinner) walking tour which was a highlight.

Next is Lyon heralding our arrival into Burgundy. Lyon is the only really large city on the tour. The ship docks in the heart of town easily within walking distance for the sites. A tour will take you to old Lyon and the Basilica on Fouviere Hill. Great panarama from atop the hill of Lyon and the rivers. Lyon sits at the confluence of the Rhone and Saone. The ship will dock along the Rhone and then backtrack to the Saone for the continuation north. If you are adventurous, take in a bouchon for dinner tonight along Rue Merciere, or visit our new friends at Chez Abel for authentic French bistro fare.

Finally, there's Chalon sur Saone, the end of the river tour, but the beginning of your gateway to the heart of Burgundy. A tour to Beaune will follow. If you are lucky, you will be there on Saturday - market day in Beaune. Stay the whole day if you can and take the train back to Chalon and the ship!

Chalon sur Saone is wonderful as well with a neatly laid-out shopping area off a town square. We were there for a wedding at the old church. The bells rang, rice flew, and toasts were offered from the many sidewalk cafes surrounding the church entrance. If you have a few extra days, go back to Beaune and visit the best vineyards in the world nearby.

You are in for a fantastic journey - bon voyage!

Archived