Sunday before MardisGras departure w/ 7yo

seajay829

My seven year old daughter and I will be departing on Feb 6th on the

Conquest. I made reservations, last spring for the Windham by the airport in Kenner for Friday and Saturday night. We are flying in from Oregon and should arrive late Friday afternoon. I am wondering if you might have a suggestion on the easiest way to get to the ship on Sunday? Is there a such thing as a family friendly Mardis Gras parade? activities for us this weekend?

I would like for us to stay a few days after our cruise to experience NOLA during Lent. Any budget, convenience friendly suggestions for a place to stay? I read in an earlier post about a gospil Sunday brunch. Just trying to figure out the details of getting our stuff from the ship to a hotel then to brunch. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you

Cindy

It is NOT convenient to stay at the airport and then tour back and forth to the French Quarter. Cabs are $28++ fixed each way, so your "savings" are wiped out. I take the bus every trip from the airport, but slow and not for everyone. I would cancel at least your second night and stay in the FQ or CBD so to have access to the many activites and attractions. After your cruise- again - take a cab to a FQ area hotel then go to your breakfast. I just booked via lowestfare.com which had cheaper rates then other booking sites. Be VERY careful about location in New Orleans- it will make or break your trip. You want a place with easy and safe access to your desired activities- so if you want French Quarter stuff- stay there. There are many booking sites- start with http://www.neworleanscvb.com/

Budget Queen, thank you for your suggestion... I understood that the FQ is no place for a 7 year old girl during Mardis Gras:eek: , that is why I thought we would stay on after the cruise? Is it just Bourbon Street we need to stay away from at that tme? I was hoping to go on the riverboat cruise to the aquarium and the zoo and possibly a swamp tour, ride on a street car and see some plantations, and listen to some music.

I am truly looking forward to "Laissez les bon temps rouler!":rolleyes:

Cindy

You're right. A 7-yr. old should NOT be in the Quarter for Mardi Gras! No way would I take a child of any age into that atmosphere.:eek: I think you are wise to stay at the airport motel both nights before your cruise....and very doubtful you'd be able to secure a hotel room in either the Quarter or CBD at this point anyway. Some hotels book up a year in advance. This IS the busiest wknd of the year in N.O. I wouldn't even try to get into N.O. before your cruise. I'd go so far as to say it's dangerous for a small child during that time, and you would be a nervous wreck. Check the brochures in your motel room - ask at the front desk what there's to do that's kid-friendly in Kenner.

After the cruise would be a good time to do your sightseeing in the Quarter. Timing would be good, as all the 'crazies' have gone home and things will be pretty much back to normal - which is still busy no matter what day you're there.

A lunch cruise on the Natchez would be nice. (Did we talk about this before? I'm feeling a little de ja vu), as well as the Aquarium/Boat/Zoo. I think you should probably stay away from Bourbon anyway, since you'll have your daughter. Jackson Square area and Decatur St. should be your destination. Lots for both of you to do, see, and enjoy. :)

BTW, did you order the "Good Times Guide" yet? http://www.NewOrleansOnline.com

Downtown hotels, including the French Quarter, not only jack rates during Mardi Gras, but also many have a minimum number of nights required stay. Last year this sort of fell apart and I saw some rates falling and other restrictions relaxed for the weekend before. Depending on rates, a cab might be cheaper.

Renting a car is a possibility. In particular, I will typically rent one from Hertz at the airport. They have a downtown location at across from the convention center where you can turn in without a drop off charge. They will shuttle you from there to the ship (well, close to the ship). You will have to walk the equivalent of a couple of blocks I guess. Not bad especially if your luggage has wheels.

I would think the downtown hotel rates would really drop just after Mardi Gras and things would be a lot quieter.

Not really a substitute, but there are parades in Jefferson Parish.

Not familiar with a Wyndham at the airport. What is the address?

They will shuttle you from there to the ship (well, close to the ship). You will have to walk the equivalent of a couple of blocks I guess. Not bad especially if your luggage has wheels.

I've used the Fulton St. Garage/Hertz you're talking about a couple of times (to park my car when the port authority lot is full)...as recently as 9/18. Their shuttle WILL drop you off right at the terminal - about a 20-foot walk to the terminal doors.:)

The real answer is *maybe*. My experiences say no, but it depends on your ship, your time of arrival, terminal, and other factors. I will ask when I take the shutttle for the Nov 7 Conquest sailing.

In any event, when two huge ships (Conquest and Grandeur of the Seas - over 6000 passengers combined) are unloading and loading in the same day, I prefer not to sit in traffic and the same goes for the shuttle driver. I have the shuttle drop me off near the Grandeur terminal (Terminal 2) and I walk to the Conquest terminal (Terminal 1). It saves both of us lots of time.

I agree that the traffic jam created by the Holiday was less of a factor. ;)

Whatever floats your boat.;) Back to the original thread.:cool:

When planning ahead, it is always cheaper for me to rent a car, drive it around a bit if I want to, fill it with gas and drop it off downtown than it is to take a taxi. Make sure you return it to the Convention Center location for Hertz - there will be a drop off charge if you leave it elsewhere (e.g. the Hilton). Here is one of the better deals that I have seen and used:

http://www.americawest.com/flightfund/promotions/ff_carpartner.htm

hertz_logo.gif350 Bonus Miles and save up to $20

From now through March 31, 2005, you can earn 350 bonus miles and save $5 per day on qualifying Leisure Weekend Rate rentals of two or more days, or earn 350 bonus miles and save $20 on qualifying Leisure Weekly Rate rentals. Take advantage of this offer by renting any car class, including Sport Utility Vehicles, Minivans, and Hertz Prestige Collection vehicles, at a participating location in the U.S., Puerto Rico or Canada. Provide your FlightFund membership number, FlightFund Discount Number CDP 1450445 and PC #947940 for Leisure Weekend rentals or PC #947962 for Leisure Weekly rentals. For reservations, call 800-654-2210 or visit hertz.com

If not a flight fund member, you can enroll online for free. Flying on America West is not required for the discount.

They may have figured out it is Mardi Gras weekend and may not let you reserve at that rate (America West discount + $5 off a day) or by now, the rates may have shot up. If the reservation is accepted on hertz.com, even if the local agency gives you static, just call up the corporate office and they will adjust the bill after the fact.

If you are staying downtown, unless you are staying somewhere with free parking, the plan would not be to keep the vehicle overnight, because parking could easily be over $20/night and around Mardi Gras, improbable to find.

to be continued...

Thank you so much for the great input. I had read an earlier post of your's Zydeco about renting a car at the airport and dropping it off at Hertz and wondered how that would work. Since we are staying in Kenner I thought it would be handy to be able to get around.

I am generally pretty calm about driving in traffic, though with it being Mardis Gras Sunday and with it being my first time to NOLA, am I going to be able to get through the city to the Hertz drop off? Are people pretty much sleeping off Saturday night on Sunday morning, or is that also a zoo?

I spaced out on the name of my hotel at the airport, rather than the Wyndham it is the Wingate Inn New Orleans Airport270.gif1501 Veterans Blvd

Kenner, LA 70062

USA

I found it on expedia.com. Whoa, I did a cut and paste, didn't know it would send the logo and everything!

I checked the coupon book, and they expire on Feb 1, 2005.

:D I checked on the site you provided and thought it was too good of a deal to

pass up. Thank you Thank you Thank you! Although there is a fine print clause about being able to add special fees. Whew, I am feeling so much better about this leg of our trip.

You're welcome. You do have to be careful on the rate. They will add about 25% tax to the basic rate, but when you make the reservation, just check the estimated total cost (which will subtract discounts and include taxes), and that is what the total will be +/- a few pennies. If it said 21.95/day they will subtract $5 from that. Not sure if the tax is applied before or after.

You will be able to get to the dropoff spot - like Cotton said, it is very near the cruise ships and 6,000 people are going to have to get off of those ships and 6,000 more are going to have to be able to get on. I'm going to have to think about the best probable route to take and certainly others are welcome to suggest. I haven't gone to Mardi Gras in years (decades?).

Navigating around the city will be a little more interesting but certainly possible. You will want to get the route maps for the parades that will be that weekend and avoid running into them or you may be parked for a while. I don't know if the parade routes have been published and they might change even if they have been.

If you can get a good price on the car, I would go ahead and reserve, you can always cancel (even if a no show you won't be charged, but is not very nice). You still have time to decide if that is what you want to do. For that matter, I recheck the prices on occasional and change the reservation to the lower price, if allowed (usually am).

probably should send this before I am booted...

I was curious about the Gospel Brunch - House of Blues was the only one that came to mind. Haven't tried the Praline Connection version, but even without, think that would be my first choice.

http://www.pralineconnection.com/

Here is the Wingate Kenner Website:

http://www.wingateinn.net/

Has an area map with some nearby stores if you find you forgot some essential. Looks like a nice place.

Is there a such thing as a family friendly Mardis Gras parade?

If you want a family-friendly, Thoth is one of the best in the city. Thoth runs a route that takes it from Uptown to Downtown, winding its way on a specialized route designed to take it past the nursing homes and Children's Hospital, bringing Mardi Gras to those who can't go to it. My grandmother's house was steps away from the Magazine Street portion of route and the family always caught the parade there. There are always lots of families up on Magazine Street, before the parade makes the turn onto Napoleon to run the rest of the "Uptown Parade Route." If you have time and can make the parade, I highly recommend Thoth. The men throw very well and, especially Uptown, it is a very family friendly atmoshpere.

(**** Note: You'll need a good map of the city and be sure to watch one of the 10:00 p.m. local newscasts on Friday and Saturday night and then ask at the front desk if they would highlight the parade routes. And if you do go Uptown for the parade, take Tchopitoulas Street downtown. Everything else will be blocked with parades.)

But please bear in mind that the Sunday before Mardi Gras is a VERY busy parade day. There are parades ALL over the city ALL day long. All the parades in the city either have their staging areas, routes, or disbanding areas between the airport and the Port. So if you are planning in coming into the city, I would suggest you come as far Downtown as possible before the first parade rolls. And as I remember, Thoth is the first parade, and it rolls at 10:30 a.m. or so.

I have been stuck on the opposite side of where I wanted to be to get home quite often during Mardi Gras and the weekend before Mardi Gras is the worst for getting trapped in parade traffic. Bear in mind that streets are closed 2 hours before and 2 hours after ther parade passes and there are 3 back-to-back-to-back parades rolling Sunday morning. Expect the major thoroughfares, including downramps from the interstate, to be closed from 10:00 am. until 2:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m. and then again, provided there are no delays in the morning parades, between 5:30 p.m. until Bacchus (the Uptown evening parade) passes.

Personally, I would advise getting to the Port as early as possible, just to avoid the headaches of being on the wrong side once the streets are closed.

Thank you for the website, the place is actually in a nicer area than I expected. My experience with airports is that they are usually in industrial areas. I did go ahead and send an email to the GM asking if she/he has any suggestions for family friendly mardis gras activities. I will be happy to share what I find I out when I get a response.

Olivia and I have been watching the Norah Jones at the HOB DVD, getting psyched for our trip. I didn't realize there was another Gospel Brunch in town that would be a better bet. She is learning to play piano and is mesmerized by Norah! (Do I have a great kid or what?).:rolleyes:

Oh my goodness all of the statutes at/near Jackson Square looks like a must do. Here's hoping we have a dry day. But hey, we are from Oregon, so a little rain doesn't dampen our spirits much.

>

Olivia and I have been watching the Norah Jones at the HOB DVD, getting psyched for our trip. I didn't realize there was another Gospel Brunch in town that would be a better bet. She is learning to play piano and is mesmerized by Norah! (Do I have a great kid or what?).:rolleyes:

>

By all means go with which one you want. I've been to HOB brunch once, haven't tried the other. What I might do is not necessarily what others should do.

http://www.hob.com/venues/clubvenues/neworleans/

Being a foodie, I was thinking more of trying the brunch (FOOD) at Praline Connection as opposed to the entertainment.

Now if you want confusion, there are a number of jazz brunches that could be considered. :D

Problem solved. Do both Gospel Brunches! You will need to make reservations. Praline Connection before the cruise and House of Blues after the cruise.

One possibility:

Drop the car off at Hertz

Drop major luggage off with Carnival porters (maybde could reverse with above)

If time and registration open, get the embarkation stuff out of the way

Walk to Praline Connection Brunch

Finish (start) embarkation stuff

If there is time, you may be able to catch a parade downtown.

Currently (subject to change), Thoth is scheduled to roll at 11:30am. Think you want to have the car turned in by then. Currently I think the expressway is going to be your best bet.

Here is the currnet route for Thoth:

http://www.nola.com/mardigras/parades/index.ssf?/mardigras/parades/content/parades_05/thoth.html

It should disband near the cruise ship so you can probably see some of it.

Here is the recommended way to the SHIPS. If dropping off the car, Hertz is on Convention Blvd (the entrance to the garage isn't, but can save that for later).

http://www.portno.com/cruise_info.htm#Map

If you happen to see the Bacchus parade, DOAH, you missed the ship!!!

EllieAnne, thank you so much for the good parade information. At first, I thought Thoth parade, oh my goodness, I will be a nervous wreck with car and kid and luggage and worrying about getting to the ship. THen I looked at the map! Oooh ahh. It could be done.

In checking out the map for the Wingate, it looks as if the Hermes parade goes very near it on our first night in town (Friday). EllieAnne, Cotton, would my precious 7yearold be scarred for life by viewing, or would it have a more PG rating? I am not at all sure how I would explain at school if she chose to share and tell how she scored her throws.

Speaking of throws, Do people really do stepladders for their kiddos?

I am breathing such a sigh of relief for this portion of our trip. Thank you all for your kindness.

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...

Cindy since you will be out in kenner you shoudl just take a cab if you go uptown parking is not for the faint of heart and you are coming on the biggest parade weekend All major Mardi Gras parades are for children and eveyone. its the out of town college students and other adults showing their whatever in the quarter that people from out of town associate with mardi Gras that make it seem so outrageous - which it can be.Location is everything. its not the parades that are nasty its the crowd you may be with WATCHING the parade. I live here and we take our three kids now 17, 16, and 13 to between 12 and 15 parades every year. Just avoid the quarter and Canal Street with a 7 year old . We get bags of beads and have Never shown any thing other than a smile to get them.

Try http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html to get an idea of the parade Schedule.

Friday evening is Hermes followed by Krew D'Etat. My husband is in Hermes these are good parades you need to get on St. Charles AVe between napoleon and Louisiana closer to napoleon if you can manage it.if not break yourself in with Aquilla in Metaire on Veteren's blvd between clearview and Severn.good child friendly crowd the parade starts at 6:30 and will be past your location by 8 so not too late for a 7 year old. Uptown can be MUCH later

Saturday I would go uptown on St. Charles between Napoleon and Louisiana and you could see Iris(noon) and old line all women's Krewe followed by Tucks ( We're the Dragons walking at the front) then go back to your hotel and watch Endyminon on TV. sunday is a big day I don't know how you would manage your luggage and get downtown and watch a parade. the advice to go early and park your bags at the ship with a porter then walk around sounds good to me. Again the parades are good but the crowd is rowdy on canal street and usually really crowded.

ellie anne has good advice about parades and locations Magazine is a good place for uptown parades too

by the way I've lived here all but 5 years since 1976 and would never send anyone to eat at Praline connection or HOB.Especially fi you're going for the food. the food is adequate at best. They're OK but mostly for the tourists the riverboats the Zoo the aquarium all great and the quarter will be fine even for your daughter after mardi Gras. bourbon street is boring go Royal St, Charters St, jackson square. go to Cafe du Monde for beignets, Napoleon house for a muffelotta. commander's palace has a great Jazz brunch might be more expensive than you like call and ask. this is probably more info than you want but love my city and couldn't resist. I hope you have a great time. Katie

• 1 month later...

This is New Orleans busiest weekend. Your better bet is to catch the parades in Metarie just minutes from the airport on veterens hwy(jefferson parish a surbur of NO) Sat during the day there will be several parades both in jefferson and NO all starting about noonish. People start lining up for these several hours ahead of time. In fact the Endymion parade is in NO sat night (4PM till midnight). People will begin saving spots on the neutrel ground(median) Friday night.Once you get two blocks off of boubon street and the quarter you can enjoy the parades "family Style". (Anywhere on st charles street or uptown as we call it.)

Getting to the boat on Sunday WILL be a problem. Unless you get there before 10 am alot of the streets will be blocked off preparing for the parades. All streets in the quarter are closed to traffic Friday night , all weekend and until tuesday with a few exceptions. You will have trouble getting down canal street after about 10-11 am. Poydras street(along the superdome) will be blocked at carondelet and howard will be blocked at Lee circle. As you move uptown the streets will be blocked so that you can not get below (river side) St Charles st where the parades travel. Even exits of the expressway will be closed because of the parades and the movement of floats from across the river where they are stored/made.

If you are good with a map navigate yourself to the dock otherwise get a cab and arrive early. Drop your luggage off at the ship and walk 4-5 short blocks up to St Charles place and enjoy the parades. Bring a bag to put your beads in and remember (as the song around here goes) there ain't no place to pee on mardi gras day.

Archived