July 20 Zaandam Alaskan btb cruise

fairweather

I'm sorry if this is so long, but I wanted to share info with those who will be taking this same cruise in the coming two months.

We had a blast...we being a married couple in our 50’s celebrating our 25th anniversary with a cruise to Alaska July 20 to August 3. This was our third cruise and our first one to Alaska and on HAL. We have done two Caribbean cruises with RCI in the past few years.

We had previously reserved for the NCL Pearl for a seven-day Inside Passage in September but changed to this 14 day btb on the Zaandam when we found it discounted for only a few hundred dollars more.

It was a great move. I would encourage anyone who is going to Alaska to do an extended stay on land or at sea. There is so much to see and do. Seven days is not enough to even begin to scratch the surface.

I loved the size of this ship. It was easy to get around while being the ideal size to get close to the glaciers.

We loved the friendly staff and impeccable service. We found the food good to very good. The ship is tastefully decorated in an understated way. I was impressed to find orchid plants on every table in the Lido and floral arrangements throughout the ship to accompany an impressive art collection.

The main showroom entertainment was excellent with a mix of production shows and a comedian and magic act. But the lounge music needs to be updated and Katrina and the HALcats need a makeover.

The Ocean Bar was reserved for 1940's type dance music, but we never saw more than three couples ever using the dance floor. But I did enjoy the Ballroom Dancing Competition in the Crows Nest Bar which is a wonderful venue for sightseeing by day and for partying at night.

There were numerous other activities on board from sports challenges to cooking demonstrations. The Cruise Director Michelle and her staff were always friendly and enthusiastic.

The best kept secret on board the Zaandam was the Azaelia Strings Quartet who entertained in the Explorer Lounge at night. They could play classical, Broadway hits, folk music, and even the Beatles. Coffee and candy/fruits were served here after diner with the music hitting just the right note.

We had an ocean view stateroom but really didn’t spend enough time in the room to warrant the extra cost, imho. It was surprisingly large with an oversized queen bed and loads of closet space. The bathroom had a shower/tub combo which was difficult to step over. There were two under bed drawers that made it impossible to stow a 29” suitcase there.

We spent a lot of our time in the Explorer Café and Lounge. There were so many cozy nooks to comfortably sit in and watch the passing scenery with a book or while listening to music. The library and internet/specialty coffee bar was the perfect place to read the NYT online, do daily crosswords, or even help with a jigsaw puzzle. They even had a paperback book exchange.

The wrap-around Lower Promenade deck was also perfect for viewing the Inside Passage. Four trips around the teak-wooded deck (while taking in the breathtaking views) equaled one mile. There were also comfortably padded deck chairs with lap blankets at easy access.

AYW dining worked well for us. We never had to wait and met many interesting travelers from around the world.

Be forewarned that it can take as long as two hours plus to eat a meal in the main dining room.

On evenings when we returned late from shore excursions or wanted to see a show, we often opted for the Lido. The same entrees were served there on white table clothes without having to dress up. We used the 24-hour room service option for breakfast several days before an early shore excursion and found all the food to be hot and tasty.

I found the suggested clothing recommendations to be very relaxed. Pack less dress clothes. There were people wearing casual clothes even on formal nights but nobody seemed to care as we were all enjoying the conversation so much.

Alaska is all about what you do in the ports. Sharing information about tours and experiences made for some lively discussions as many people were also taking a land tour pre or post cruise.

Don’t fixate on clothes. Dress in layers. Relax and enjoy the company of your fellow travelers. Experience Alaska the way it is...natural and uncomplicated.

I'd highly recommend a btb cruise for those who cannot afford a land tour. You get to do all the ports twice (the exception being the delightful village of Haines instead of Skagway on the return leg) and four glacier days.

We had the opportunity to see the glaciers from the bow of the Zaandam, by floatplane from above in Juneau, from a small boat in Kenai Fiords National Park, and to hike up to the Exit Glacier onshore in Seward. This itinerary also gave us a chance to take the White Pass train/bus tour up to the Canadian Yukon.

We saw so many whales and other wildlife…even a bear up close at the Mendenhall Glacier. This cruise was the perfect combination of scenery, relaxation, and activities. I would highly recommend the Zaandam and HAL to anyone who wants to be pampered but active.

I just wish that they could get past Frank Sinatra...who would probably want to hear more contemporary music from time to time himself if he had taken this cruise.

It’s obvious that HAL understands who their target audience is; but with just a “little bit” of tweaking without changing the standard formula, I bet they could hook a whole new generation (or two) of cruisers as loyal repeat customers. If the itinerary was right, I’d give them a second look.

We are now planning a Princess cruise which I understand is an interesting cross between RCI and HAL. I guess I like variety. NCL’s specialty restaurant concept is appealing to us as well.

But nobody can equal HAL for service and quality. They do it up right.

I'd be happy to answer any questions and will post a more detailed review when I get done doing the mountain of laundry we accumulated.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are going on the Zaandam on Sept. 14 for a 7-day Vancouver R/T - also celebrating our 25th Anniversary ;-)

We have excursions planned for Juneau and Scagway, but are still undecided on Ketchikan. Since you visited there twice on your btb cruise, any suggestions for what to do in Ketchikan??

Thanks again.

We did the Saxman Village and Lumberjack Show. It was a good mix of history and humor.

I'd definitely suggest trying to do either Totem Bright or Saxman Village to see the native totem poles. The Saxman tour includes a potlach presentation in a clan house where you are invited to join in a dance. You can watch an artist carving and ask him questions.

There is also a Heritage Museum within walking distance of Creek Street where old totems are being perserved inside. We didn't get to that but wished we had. Next trip?

I hope you have two sunny days in Ketchican as we did. Juneau was our one rainy port.

nanbob,

Whoops. You only have one day in Ketchikan.

I'd do one of the totem venues or a combo with the Lumberjack Show...if you are into those kinds of corny acts like us. Be sure to leave time to shop along Creek Street and see the salmon ladder there.

Thanks for your suggestions...we do like the corny stuff, so appreciate your thoughts! I know what you mean about paying for this trip for a while, but hey, 25 years together is worth it.

We're hoping for good weather, from what I've been reading this summer, there is no way of predicting what to expect. We'll be prepared for wind, cold and rain, so anything else will be a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the Zaandam on September 14th. Really looking forward to it. So glad that you attended the production shows and thought that they were excellent! I know first hand the hard work that goes into those shows, not to mention the very talented cast that perform them. My daughter and her husband are the lead singers currently on the Zaandam in the production shows since June 8th. This is their third contract with HAL. So, thank you very much for taking the time to attend their shows and for your positive review of the ship. :)

Archived