Lirica 2009 - any info please

travelbug1948

Chris, we were on the Lirica last year..loved it.

A couple of little gripes of course, but nothing to do with the ship, & nothing I can't 'fix' this time, being a little more experienced. :)

Loved it so much we came back and booked the Poesia, a sister ship to the Musica. Couldn't resist, Venice to Istanbul a on a new ship..but I'm now beginning to get a little nervous about the ship's size and thinking I'd probably prefer a smaller ship like the Lirica. I'll let you know when I return at the end of the month.

Just as a little aside, and something you might want to think about before you book, I booked this cruise with a US agent..much cheaper, in fact I paid less for a category 11 balcony cabin than I paid in the UK for an inside last year. Another advantage is you don't lose your deposit if you decide to change or cancel as you do here.

Everything is going smoothly so far..I have hard copies of the tickets, luggage labels etc. I'll let you know how everything worked out when I get back.

I've been on the Lirica but not the Musica. basically it is smaller than the Musica, older and has no cabins with balconies. If you want a balcony then you have to go for one of the 132 suites.

I know what you mean about the Dover sailing being such an attraction. On my last cruise (which happened to be on the Lirica) we finished the repositioning voyage at Dover and how much easier and more pleasant it was to get off in the UK with no airports to deal with. It didn't matter how much your luggage weighed, what liquids you had where and within 30 minutes of leaving the ship i was actually on my train home. My next 2 cruises with MSC either start or end in Dover for this reason.

Dover as a home port sounds just wonderful.

Hopefully MSC will reposition one of its smaller cruise ships Down Under for a season, so we can enjoy the pleasures of an Italian line, whilst using a home port.

With rapidly increasing costs and a falling Australian $ (again), I'm already over different ports/countries of embarkation and disembarkation, not to mention the long flights to get there. :(

Dover as a home port sounds just wonderful.

Hopefully MSC will reposition one of its smaller cruise ships Down Under for a season, so we can enjoy the pleasures of an Italian line, whilst using a home port.

With rapidly increasing costs and a falling Australian $ (again), I'm already over different ports/countries of embarkation and disembarkation, not to mention the long flights to get there. :(

Now that i would love. I adore cruising and Australia and the chance to combine the 2 would be perfect - not to mention the repositioning voyage would be something else regardless of which way around it went. maybe they'll consider this once the fleet expands next year. On the questionnaires at the end of the cruise they do ask if you'd be interested in Australasia and I always tick the box to say yes

Now that i would love. I adore cruising and Australia and the chance to combine the 2 would be perfect - not to mention the repositioning voyage would be something else regardless of which way around it went. maybe they'll consider this once the fleet expands next year. On the questionnaires at the end of the cruise they do ask if you'd be interested in Australasia and I always tick the box to say yes

Thanks for your support for Down Under cruising. I'll make sure I tick that box after our cruise. A repositioning cruise from Europe to Australia, and return, would be spectacular. Just think of the possibilities, especially if they choose unique ports of call like on our impressive TA.

Hi Sparky1664

Thanks for such useful information especially with regard to the booking bit.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time on The Poesia - do let us know when you return! Incidentally, what part of Kent are you from - I live near Sittingbourne.

Amomondo

Here's hoping for a 'home port' for you too - it certainly takes a weight off of my mind and I need less valium (for the flying you understand!!)

Kind regards

Chris:)

Morning Chris,

We are actually Northern immigrants, my husband is a Mancunian and I'm from Yorkshire. Yes, either side of the pennines & we're still together. :)

We have been in Kent for some time though. My youngest, now 14, was born in Kent. We are probably very close, depending on which side of Sitingbourne, as we live in Faversham.

We 'did' the Baltics last year. Not that I've seen everything of course and we would love to go back sometime, but it would be wonderful if they started some round trips from Dover in the Med too. I don't think they will though, but here's hoping.

Hi Sparky1664

We live in Borden on the old A249 so not too far away. I am awaiting any day the birth of my third grandchild (that will make it two boys and a girl) so obviously my kids are very grown up!

I totally agree with you that it would be great if MSC did the Med from Dover - would solve a lot of my problems and less Valium(as I said to Amomondo)!!!

I know lots of cruise lines go from Dover and Southampton but I was very impressed with MSC & The Musica but who knows in the future.

Kind regards

Chris:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived