Suggestions for Beach play toys?

MomtoCCC

Hi all

Looking for some suggestions here.. we are going on cruise with 4yo dd and she loves to play at the beach - we will have 2 beach days on our cruise. She loves to play with buckets, shovels, etc.. however I don't think I really want to haul these on the plane all the way from home. I have thought about going to dollar store and getting a few small things to pack and then leaving them behind. What have other people done? Do you find buckets and shovels when you arrive? Try to find some in departure port?

We are sailing out of Miami and going to St Martin and Labadee if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Hi all

Looking for some suggestions here.. we are going on cruise with 4yo dd and she loves to play at the beach - we will have 2 beach days on our cruise. She loves to play with buckets, shovels, etc.. however I don't think I really want to haul these on the plane all the way from home. I have thought about going to dollar store and getting a few small things to pack and then leaving them behind. What have other people done? Do you find buckets and shovels when you arrive? Try to find some in departure port?

We are sailing out of Miami and going to St Martin and Labadee if that makes a difference. Thanks!

We actually pack two buckets and a couple of shovels. They don't take up much room and I fill them with stuff in the suitcase. The kids love having them. Good luck and have a great time.

Considering how cheap those buckets are, that's what I'd do! Leave them behind! You could buy them at home, and pack them in your suitcase, putting socks, underwear, etc... in them, so they aren't really taking up any space! They are lightweight and won't add much to your overall luggage weight!

You won't find anything like that in Labadee--that's the ship's beach and there isn't much (if anything) for sale there!

I'd bring them from home and leave them behind on the ship.

They're so inexpensive and take so little room that I bring them for each beach port and leave them behind on the beach for the next kids to play with - that way I'm also not dragging less sandy/wet stuff back to the cabin. I also bring blow up balls.

Best,

Mia

I get a small beach pail from the dollar store with shovel and sand molds. They are small enough to shove in the suitcase.

Don't do what I did last year. I decided not to pack a pail and when I got to Playa Mia beach at Cozumel the price was $16.99 :eek:

So yeah, lesson learned. :o

Run, don't walk, to the stores for beach toys.

I'm in Iowa and beach toys are already long gone. They went on clearance in mid July and those aisles are cleared out. Whatever you do, don't wait for your trip - try to find them right now! Perhaps those of you further south have more availability but here in the north, the summer retail is very short!

I do often haul beach and bathtub toys with us, then leave them behind. I'll sometimes look for a child that looks like they could use some toys on our last beach or pool trip before we leave, and give them away.

We generally arrive a day early to our embarkation port and purchase the sand toys (and any other out of season merchandise, ie flip flops for the kids) there.

If we can fit them, they come home with us.

We generally arrive a day early to our embarkation port and purchase the sand toys (and any other out of season merchandise, ie flip flops for the kids) there.

If we can fit them, they come home with us.

This is another option I was considering but I don't want to be stressed trying to find something... plus we don't get to Miami until 8:30pm!

I will run to Dollar Store today or Walmart and see what I can find!

I was just in Florida last week for work - should have bought some there!

We always take a bucket/shovel/sand molds and a vinyl tablecloth(I know sounds goofy)We put the kids towels on the tablecloth and it keeps them sand free, and gives the kids a place to eat their snack away from the sand. We get all the above at Walmart for a couple dollars and throw them away at the end of each day. You would be surprised at the comments we get on the tablecloth. It makes finding you spot on the beach easier for everyone as well. Have a great trip. Janice

Archived