Lagoonarium Tour - Questions

mikjr

We are heading to Bora Bora in Oct on HAL. Of course the ship has it's own Lagoonarium tour for around $169 for 3.5 hours.

I found the following site... it's $125 for around 6 hours.

http://www.boraboraisland.com/lagoonarium/

I have found that the ship's tours are always more expensive for less time, and you can sometimes do better on your own or booking yourself with a local business.

Question is... has anyone used the tour company above? or have one you recommend?

Any suggestions or recommendations?

thanks

There is only one Lagoonarium in Bora Bora so I think that you're seeing typical cruise ship markup. One Lagoonarium and only one company offering the tour so the HAL tour would be through the same company.

We did the Lagoonarium tour in June 08 (staying at a BB hotel, not a cruise) and LOVED it! Put in very basic terms they take you to a small private motu around Bora Bora (on the pretty side of the island with the gorgeous light turquoise waters) and you swim with fish that are contained in pens. It sounds exceptionally boring when you have experience snorkeling in fabulous coral so we were very skeptical. But in the end we had a blast going there and were so glad that we went. The tour guides are hilarious and love putting on a show for the tourists. I highly recommend the tour.

6 hours sounds like a long time--do they provide chairs on the motu, and/or refreshments?

Myself, I'd go for what used to be the stingray feeding tour, but now I think gets called something like "stingray ballet".

Note about the lagoonarium--there is no coral, these are captive fish.

Chairs are provided and I believe for the full day tour (6 hrs) they also provide a BBQ lunch. We only did the half day tour (3 hrs) and by the time we got there we had a quick swim in each of the pens, a snack of fresh fruit and then had to go. The half day seemed too short for us. It definitely is only a lightly active tour but with the full day there would be plenty of time for relaxing in the sun.

Doesn't the full day tour do a circle island tour also included? We want to take this tour, and will be on the HAL Ryndam ship in Bora Bora on jan 21 & 22. I was hoping to book this on my own for day 1. :D :D

Mikjr--If you do this tour from the Statendam, or on your own, would you please report back after you return from your voyage with info for me? TIA

Doesn't the full day tour do a circle island tour also included? We want to take this tour, and will be on the HAL Ryndam ship in Bora Bora on jan 21 & 22. I was hoping to book this on my own for day 1. :D :D

Mikjr--If you do this tour from the Statendam, or on your own, would you please report back after you return from your voyage with info for me? TIA

yes... the full day circles the island and includes fish/chicken lunch. and it is supposed to include some snorkling off a motu

TIA... I'll be happy to report back once we get back.

Be careful what you wish for. We did a circle island tour with snorkel on Raiatea, and we went *all the way* around the island. Halfway around was some wonderful snorkeling. But the boat ride was really long and got pretty boring after a while--pretty scenery, but...

Archived